Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:11:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 986254 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1330 on: December 16, 2013, 06:02:54 PM

I have better shit to worry about than whether or not a cartoon character in a video game has a tiny waist and perky tits that only surgery in South America can provide or whether I have enough self worth to know that I will never lose my gut to obtain giant broad shoulders and a barrel chest big enough that only a sharp needle and growth hormones can achieve.

Seriously you guys need to find something else to worry about, like paying your bills or giving someone a hug. When you have to many fucks to give, it's time to go outside.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1331 on: December 16, 2013, 08:14:41 PM

Welp, I lucked into a stress test beta key so I have an extra now; since Lucas gave me a full beta invite.  PM me if you're interested.

edit: gone to Rasix
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:46:14 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1332 on: December 17, 2013, 01:50:17 AM

Problems that don't affect me aren't real problems. Social "minorities" are making progress so they probably weren't really harmed in the first place. To eliminate sexism we have to eliminate sexualization, because women are inherently prudes.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1333 on: December 17, 2013, 04:14:01 AM

Seriously you guys need to find something else to worry about, like paying your bills or giving someone a hug. When you have to many fucks to give, it's time to go outside.

You may simplify thinking these conversations are merely about a stupid online game, but they are not. That's your way to cop out.
Some people pay their bills, give and receive many hugs and much more, and still they think it's important to  worry about a lot of stuff that hurts everyone (not only in gaming, duh), not just the stuff that hurts them or the group they belong to. Even more so when the group they belong to is the one that is hurt the least, you know.

The whole point of "privilege" is that you are given the golden opportunity to *not give a fuck*, and no matter how much you think you lack privilege, whenever you can afford to not give a fuck about some issues it means you have more than you think. It's a pyramid, you kow, you are always stepping on someone else's head and the first step to fight that is to acknowledge it (and the first step to reinforce that is to deny it). Another privilege you have is the opportunity to have a distorted view of what is oppressive and what is not, what is a problem and what is not. Your privilege gives you the opportunity to deny anything that is outside the range of your perception. Basically, if it doesn't bother you, then it means someone else must be hypersensitive, nuts, <fill with whatever demeaning term you like>.

Good job at that. Among other things, and to put it very very simple, human rights didn't happen thanks to people like you. Be proud of that.

I am done talking about this because while I feel it is important to always point out the shit, I don't believe there's a point in dragging a debate on such topics on a place like this, and I definitely DO spend my time better, with family, games, activism, work, love, than arguing with guys who still believe that "I don't give a fuck" still sounds cool.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1334 on: December 17, 2013, 05:42:04 AM

Move it to politics.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1335 on: December 17, 2013, 06:05:24 AM

Or just be done with this derail. Which we were, except for a few who can't miss the opportunity to show how much they don't give a fuck by giving fucks. I personally promise I won't add anything else.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1336 on: December 17, 2013, 06:49:55 AM

Or just be done with this derail. Which we were, except for a few who can't miss the opportunity to show how much they don't give a fuck by giving fucks. I personally promise I won't add anything else.

Stop being the asshole who needs to get the last word by ranting and then at the end saying "ok this topic is over, move on"  seriously, go fuck yourself.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1337 on: December 17, 2013, 07:04:54 AM

I'll reiterate again that I don't think this game will cause a huge emotional outburst about the actual gameplay, good or bad.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1338 on: December 17, 2013, 08:04:44 AM

Welp, here's another opportunity for one of you "don't-give-twofucks" to try the game.  Rasix doesn't have time for the stress test, so my key is available again.  PM me if interested.  Here is the testing schedule:

Friday, December 20th, 5PM PST – 9PM PST
(Saturday, December 21st, 1am UTC – 5am UTC)
Saturday, December 21st, 11AM PST – 3PM PST
(Saturday, December 21st, 7pm UTC – 11pm UTC)

edit2:  kinda smart to check if you've already got a key b4 asking for one   Ohhhhh, I see.

Shit, between this and Divinity I'm a happy man.  (thank god finals are done)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:11:58 AM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1339 on: December 17, 2013, 08:33:16 AM

Well this is embarrassing but i checked my mail and i got an invite, so send it to whoever got second place. 

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1340 on: December 17, 2013, 10:07:54 AM

Sweet. Not giving a fuck about video game models is the equivalent of not giving a fuck about human rights abuse in the world.

That is an amazing statement.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1341 on: December 17, 2013, 10:17:43 AM

Well this is embarrassing but i checked my mail and i got an invite, so send it to whoever got second place. 

Mob

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1342 on: December 17, 2013, 10:31:14 AM

Sweet. Not giving a fuck about video game models is the equivalent of not giving a fuck about human rights abuse in the world.

That is an amazing statement.
Don't you have someone to hug or bills to pay, rather than continue demonstrating how you are above giving a fuck about such trivial matters?

edit: on topic, sort of, if someone else finds themselves with an extra key, I could liberate them from it if no one else is willing Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:33:06 AM by tmp »
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1343 on: December 17, 2013, 11:11:08 AM

I still have the extra key I got; but I haven't gotten a PM from anyone yet.  Evidently people don't like to read more then 2 posts above the last one.   Head scratch

edit: key gone to Sam
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:19:02 AM by Ghambit »

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #1344 on: December 17, 2013, 11:31:40 AM

Thanks!

If I end up getting friend invites, I'll give them out here. I think that's only for "real" beta testers, though, not us stress test monkeys.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #1345 on: December 17, 2013, 02:10:54 PM

Well, that's sad. After reading this thread I still have no idea if rockpeople calve or calve. Time to join the beta to find out!

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1346 on: December 17, 2013, 09:17:53 PM

Ok, I normally don't do this, but if anyone has a beta key thats usable after 29 Dec. (on vacation until then) I would appreciate it.  Thanks.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1347 on: December 18, 2013, 03:34:36 AM

If we're quite done with the last page or two of swamp poop arguing about fake internet tits, Massively's put together a nice little package of the recent additions to the game: housing improvements, character creation, the Medic, and the Engineer.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/12/massively-previews-wildstars-character-creation-housing-engin/

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1348 on: December 19, 2013, 03:29:49 PM

I've watched some stream coverage, not a ton but this game does not look very good. Its certainly not the step up in fluid animation and overall quality and polish from titles like SWTOR, Tera and TESO that I had been expecting due to the size of hype train.

It looks really average in most of departments that WoW knocked out of the park all those years ago. There was a time I was expecting a huge success for Wildstar followed by a massive fall off when people realize that rebaked WoW is not as fun as they expect it to be. Now I'm less sure it will even start off huge, I've never been a fan of the title but I was expecting it to be a hell of a lot better than what it appears to be at least superficially.

Shame too on some level. Warplots and the potential for build diversity from their limited ability system are both things I do like the sound of in theory. Also I've always thought that for pvp if all abilities are some kind of aoe it'd make just bringing the largest zerg on follow not the king strat though tbh the big things on the ground look fairly stupid and remind me in a bad way of NWNO.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 03:31:43 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1349 on: December 19, 2013, 04:54:23 PM

Its certainly not the step up in fluid animation and overall quality and polish from titles like SWTOR, Tera and TESO that I had been expecting due to the size of hype train.

Don't be this stupid.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1350 on: December 19, 2013, 08:00:42 PM

I have not seen any mmo streaming that looked good.  Some ended up being great and some being terrible but I will say streaming does very little for mmo's.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1351 on: December 19, 2013, 08:15:57 PM

quality
polish
TESO
Gotta be trolling.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1352 on: December 19, 2013, 11:34:51 PM

Its certainly not the step up in fluid animation and overall quality and polish from titles like SWTOR, Tera and TESO that I had been expecting due to the size of hype train.

Don't be this stupid.

I'm dead serious, some animations seemed atrocious for a lot of the classes. I think the biggest offenders were the Medic and dual pistol class. Some races seemed to have really dumb looking running or jumping animations as well, though I can't recall specifics. In no way does this game seem to operate on the WoW level of animation cohesion and quality, again this is judging off like 30min or less of stream watching but to my eyes it didn't look close.

quality
polish
TESO
Gotta be trolling.

I know my posts aren't as clear as they should be but I didn't mean to say that. I meant that I had been assuming from all the hype that Wildstar would be that level of quality above SWTOR, TESO, Rift etc. the WoW quality level where almost no animations look wooden and stupid and you can tell control of the character is pretty tight and looks and feels good for a MMO. Instead Wildstar looks pretty much on par with what everyone else is making these days.

I have not seen any mmo streaming that looked good.  Some ended up being great and some being terrible but I will say streaming does very little for mmo's.

I've never watched a MMO be streamed that didn't seem boring as shit, so I agree. But I'm pretty sure I'm still capable of judging the quality of animations and character visuals just not how fun the gameplay will seem when playing it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1353 on: December 20, 2013, 07:53:26 AM

I think the medic looks awful myself, but that's from an aesthetic POV. Those huge guns are stupid looking. I think the animations for the most part are top notch for an MMO.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1354 on: December 20, 2013, 10:24:46 AM

It's.  Pulp.  Sci-Fi.  
They half-chose the genre precisely to get away with whatever the hell story, art, and animations they felt like doing.  As Draegan says, if you dont like it, it's more a genre betrayal then anything else.

Lemme make this clear w/o breaking the NDA.  If you dont like pulp, you won't like this game.  It's WAY over-the-top in just about every way (including animations, lore, etc.)  Throw any sense of realism or standardization out the window.  The producers basically told the designers, "hai guy!  Whatever you come up with, make it about 10X as wild, crazy, and imaginative, then build the level."

This gives them artistic license to do quite a lot of things (the point of pulp in the 1st place), but will definitely require a hefty suspension of disbelief... even moreso then typical fantasy faire.

In re. the running animations specifically, they have a mechanical component since the Explorer is a platforming-based metagame.  Obviously a Chua is gonna be better at it then a blundering Frankenstein.  It's something they'll obviously tweak as time goes on, but I don't think they should sacrifice that aspect for the sake of generic animations everyone will like; aside from the simple fact that not all races will walk/run the same.

Same goes for the collision-based mechanics with regards to Warriors and so forth.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:26:43 AM by Ghambit »

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1355 on: December 20, 2013, 10:45:44 AM

How can there still be NDA when the first 15 levels can be streamed by anyone and there are friend invites for the beta and stress tests?

I will never trust a title that tries to maintain its NDA for as long as they possibly can.

-William Gibson
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1356 on: December 20, 2013, 11:52:09 AM

While I think some of the running animations are stupid, none of them struck me as technically bad. The main thing I'll say about the animations, I suppose, is that I don't really notice them beyond the "now I am doing <blah>" sense. Which I think is what most animations are shooting for?

Some of the fighting animations could use more oomph, I guess.

God Save the Horn Players
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1357 on: December 20, 2013, 01:33:00 PM

How can there still be NDA when the first 15 levels can be streamed by anyone and there are friend invites for the beta and stress tests?

I will never trust a title that tries to maintain its NDA for as long as they possibly can.

When it comes to wildstar nda should be in air quotes, whether it's officially dropped or not they are not shy about letting you see the game.  You can't compare it to other games that are very tight lipped about the game until release as a real indicator of quality.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1358 on: December 21, 2013, 10:05:55 AM

Does the "no NDA for low levels" thing apply to everyone?

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1359 on: December 21, 2013, 11:38:09 AM

No.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #1360 on: December 21, 2013, 06:00:33 PM

It only applies to specific press, unfortunately.

Like ESO I have a lot to say about Wildstar, but can't due to NDA. Oh well.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #1361 on: December 23, 2013, 09:36:09 AM

I would've been here sooner but I had hugs to give and bills to pay.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1362 on: December 24, 2013, 09:10:44 AM

NDA NDA NDA
Cant. Contain it. 

Worst. NDA. evar!

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1363 on: December 24, 2013, 10:00:34 AM

Requisite:

Mob

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1364 on: December 25, 2013, 03:38:26 PM

Confirming that john goodman face. But never fret, there's plenty of info out and the NDA walls keep steadily dropping.

In the meantime, more protostar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScEliEh2_Xo
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: