Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:30:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Star Wars Battlefield on Tuesday - F13 XBL Glee Club 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars Battlefield on Tuesday - F13 XBL Glee Club  (Read 16243 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #35 on: September 23, 2004, 07:17:32 AM

Shannow, Darniaq and I have had that secret and glorifying dream...If SWG and PS became one game, each has the strengths to offset the other's weaknesses.

Instead of bland, homogenized 'continents' like Hossun, imagine fighting over Hoth instead. With snowspeeders instead of reapers, 'continent' specific vehicles and armors.

Instead of the rather simplistic and bland character models and 'empires', it'd be the Empire! And the Rebs! And the Hutts! "Oh shit, Jedi incoming, man the turrets and get some air cover!"

Bah.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: September 23, 2004, 07:44:06 AM

Quote from: Shannow
Id tentively bet that if Planetside was made as Star Wars Battles online (albiet with better gameplay mechanics) it would have been wildly succesful. But I've been known to be hideously wrong before.

Wrong,

Star Wars doesnt NOT lend itself to balanced PvP.  David Vs Golaith does not make for a fun FPS

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
NewGuy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 23, 2004, 08:14:55 AM

You have to take some creative license with the IP to get the balanced large scale military battles a PS type game requires, but obviously nothing worse than Battlefront do.

Someone at SOE must have thought about it, but the LucasArt fees are probably prohibitive for a relative niche game.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 23, 2004, 08:19:48 AM

Quote from: NewGuy
You have to take some creative license with the IP to get the balanced large scale military battles a PS type game requires, but obviously nothing worse than Battlefront do.

Someone at SOE must have thought about it, but the LucasArt fees are probably prohibitive for a relative niche game.

It's impossible.  Lucas is not going to let you break Star Wars Canon any time soon, so you will never be able to (for example) nerf jedi to the point were a Stormtrooper can take them one v one.  

While the vehicles look really peechy keen in the movies, crap like Imperial Walkers just doesn't translate well into an online FPS.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Train Wreck
Contributor

Reply #39 on: September 24, 2004, 01:48:27 PM

I've decided that I like this game.  I'm very dissapointed that reinforcement polls don't regenerate, though.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 24, 2004, 02:28:40 PM

The following is for the PC version.

Good:

Single player is fun.

Hoth, Endor, and Bespin are portrayed well.

The models are pretty. Explosions are nice.

The vehicles like the AT-ST and speeder bikes are fun.

Bad:

Multiplayer sucks ass (I guess I have to eat crow on that, slog).

Requiring 3 CDs just so they can stick clips from the movies in was retarded.

The interface completely sucks (consolization). I've seen better interfaces in monochrome DOS 5.

The textures suck unless you crank them to high.

I hate the Ep. I, II, III crap (especially playing as the droid armies).

The campaign stuff is half ass thrown into the game.

Switching between maps is not fluid.

The full screen screen blur they put over it all takes getting use to. It feels like playing on a blurry TV.

Ugly:

The multiplayer completely sucks ass.

Most servers lag like ass on a 2.5Mbit SDSL.

Joining a game is a chore. Switching maps is slow and sometimes you don't make it to the new map.

The server navigator has a nice bug where it shows 31/32 and you try and join only to find it full. On every server. Then you have to redownload the server list.

The first 30 minutes of multiplayer made me want my money back.

You are assaulted at every turn with multiple labels+DRM all over the CDs and box and manual that says OMG DON'T STEAL THIS SHIT.

---

Final notes: This shit can't hold a candle to Planetside or Savage and I'm not sure the Battle for Hoth was worth $42.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 24, 2004, 09:57:01 PM

Quote from: slog
Id tentively bet that if Planetside was made as Star Wars Battles online (albiet with better gameplay mechanics) it would have been wildly succesful. But I've been known to be hideously wrong before.

Wrong,

Star Wars doesnt NOT lend itself to balanced PvP.  David Vs Golaith does not make for a fun FPS

Eh you think its not going to work because of play balance? Um so devs wouldnt balance out the GAME because of canon. Sorry thats a ridicolous statement.

The reason why possibly its successful is that its Stars Wars instead of bland planetside stuff..(Well it helps anyway, you still need good gameplay)

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #42 on: September 24, 2004, 10:25:20 PM

Eh you think its not going to work because of play balance? Um so devs wouldnt balance out the GAME because of canon. Sorry thats a ridicolous statement.

The prosocution wishes to present to the court Exhibit A, 'Star Wars: Galaxies'.

In this Star Wars online game, PvP combat between Rebels and the Empire was vastly unbalanced, because the Empire could pull out giant freekin 'I win' robots, in the form of AT-STs, and slaughter Rebel faction members wholesale.

They claim that this is the case because this is the way things were portrayed in the movies.

The prosecution believes this indicates that yes, LucasArts is perfectly willing to sacrifice game balance to the Grail of Star Wars Canon.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 24, 2004, 10:37:48 PM

Ok howabout the caveat of a StarWars persisntant FPS designed by anyone but braindead bareass monkeys?

:)

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 26, 2004, 10:11:01 PM

At least in Battlefront, a couple locked on shots from a missile launcher send an ATST to its doom.

Its not a perfect game, but its loads more fun than SWG managed to be.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 29, 2004, 11:18:40 AM

Quote from: Alkiera

The prosocution wishes to present to the court Exhibit A, 'Star Wars: Galaxies'.

The defense counters with Exhibit B, 'Star Wars: Rebellion'.

In this game, it was entirely possible for the Rebel player to build up vast fleets and territory sufficient to defeat the Empire.  The Empire players could also win, in violation of canon.

Bruce
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: September 29, 2004, 11:29:29 AM

Quote from: SirBruce
Quote from: Alkiera

The prosocution wishes to present to the court Exhibit A, 'Star Wars: Galaxies'./quote]

The defense counters with Exhibit B, 'Star Wars: Rebellion'.

In this game, it was entirely possible for the Rebel player to build up vast fleets and territory sufficient to defeat the Empire.  The Empire players could also win, in violation of canon.

Bruce

motion denied due to conflicting evidence from The Empire Strikes Back

unbannable
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Star Wars Battlefield on Tuesday - F13 XBL Glee Club  
Jump to: