Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:17:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL Football- It's FANtastic! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL Football- It's FANtastic!  (Read 173450 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35 on: October 02, 2007, 09:56:14 AM

That's what happens when you have no linebackers playing.

Yep.. Bengals have a grand total of 2 linebackers right now.  They were playing Special Teams and Defense both. No subs, no rest.  Whoops.

Go Browns!

I'm overjoyed at the 2-2 record, they were one blocked field goal away from being 3-1! With the toughness of their schedule for the first 5 games I really expected at best a 1-4 record and then a head coaching change. I think Romeo just bough himself the rest of the year and I actually think the Browns might be able to reach a near .500 record.

Don't get my hopes up!  I keep expecting them to flub it in the last 10 mins.  They were called the Cardiac Kids for a reason! It also helps that their last 2 games were against 2 teams they've got a big rivalry with.  Cinci/ Cleveland is always a good game, despite whatever each team's record is that year, and the Browns fucking hate Baltimore.  I loved watching them stick it to 'em.  Ahh.  Heart

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #36 on: October 02, 2007, 11:57:22 AM

The Bengals are heartbreaking this year...

The losses have been mounting and mounting and this year they've ended up with 3 steps back on personel.

Injury, two suspensions, even more injuries...

You can almost look at it like they didn't draft anyone in 2005, with Pollack out w/ a broken neck, Odell suspended for 2 years and Chris Henry suspended for 10 games & Tab Perry injured again.  I don't follow any team as closely as I do them but I would be surprised if somebody told me they felt their team was having greater injury issues.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #37 on: October 02, 2007, 12:14:32 PM

Chicago can make a case.

Opening day lineup, defense:
                   Brown      Archuleta 
  Vasher                                         Tillman
       Briggs         Urlacher          Hillenmeyer
     Anderson  Harris  Dvoracek  Ogunleye

Against Detroit:
               Manning   McGowan
  Manning                                 McBride (rookie)
      Williams      Urlacher         Hillenmeyer
    Anderson Harris  Walker  Ogunleye

If the front four weren't wreaking havoc all day, the Lions might have scored 34 in *every* quarter.  As if things weren't bad enough, John Tait (LT) is out with an ankle injury and the 5th safety is hurt, so they only have 2 to play the whole game against the Pack.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 02, 2007, 01:22:05 PM

Pfft..... Seriously how can a perennial loser be heartbreaking?

You do realize that the Bungals have only 10 more wins than the Browns over the past 8 years and have made the playoffs the same number of times right?

Heartbreaking my ass...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39 on: October 02, 2007, 02:45:22 PM

Pfft..... Seriously how can a perennial loser be heartbreaking?

Ask a Cubs fan.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #40 on: October 02, 2007, 04:12:15 PM

I'm not sure if Delt is from Cleveland or not, he sounds like a Browns fan but I dont know whether the comparison versus the Browns proves it or tears it.

Either way, fuck off shithead.  If you enjoy football you should enjoy watching the Bengals offense when it is working as intended.  The offensive line woes plus having 2 LB's left is rather heartbreaking.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
WayAbvPar

Reply #41 on: October 02, 2007, 04:16:05 PM

It is refreshing to see the Bengals being decimated by the injury list instead of the police blotter at least.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 02, 2007, 04:31:52 PM

Dude, what in the hell are you talking about? The AFC basically has 3 teams! The Colts, Pats, and Steelers. Denver's 2-2 and looking very shitty barely eeking out wins against Buffalo and Oakland, but losing horribly to Jacksonville and Indy. It's exactly the same in both conferences this year. There will be 3 teams that step up and make things interesting, while the rest of the LEAGUE looks like shit across the board.

I'd put Denver (much as I hate to say it) and Jacksonville against any of the NFC teams this year and expect them to win or at least keep it close. Even Dallas. Denver's O is better than I thought, and their D is better than Dallas. Jacksonville's D is better than any defense in the NFC, including the Bears, Packers, Bucs and the Cowboys. I'd actually put Tennessee above half the teams in the NFC. Houston losing to Atlanta had a lot to do with their running game. Ahman Green was out, leading them to rely on Ron Dayne. You ain't getting much if Ron Dayne is your feature back.

The Chargers' shittiness is very surprising to me this year. I keep expecting them to get their mojo back, though, despite the loss to KC.

The 49ers Defense is good this year.  It should be.  They spent enough on it.  Only problem they have is spending three quarters of the game on the field due to their complete shit offense's inability to gain like, yards and stuff.  Is their D as good as Jax?  I'd say yea, every bit.  They don't really have a weakness.  Which is weird for a team who's always had a weak ass secondary since Ronnie Lott left.  They're also young and under contract, with the exception of Bryant Young, who is as old as Moses.

All they need is Norv Turner to get fired so they can pick him back up again as coordinator.

AKA Gyoza
WayAbvPar

Reply #43 on: October 02, 2007, 04:41:21 PM

All they need is Norv Turner to get fired so they can pick him back up again as coordinator.

They should keep his cell phone on speed dial then, because he is going to be available sooner than later methinks.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #44 on: October 02, 2007, 04:50:14 PM

I always thought of the 49'ers being roughly on the same... umm... "rebuilding pace" as the Cowboys. They'll probably flesh out their offense soon enough. Or at least... It should be about that time.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #45 on: October 02, 2007, 05:09:34 PM

It would be if Norv Turner didn't leave to ruin the Chargers.

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 02, 2007, 05:26:41 PM

It would be if Norv Turner didn't leave to ruin the Chargers.

It's all part of Mike Nolan's Plan to take over the Universe in a shitty Reebok suit.  Seriously though, the Chargers very well could fire Turner.  If they did, they'd be retarded if they didn't try to get Schottenheimer back.  This, to me, is the most delicious irony of the NFL this year.  If it leads Turner back to calling plays for the 9ers, then the plan is complete.  He's not a good head coach, but he is perfect for sitting up in his booth calling plays.

AKA Gyoza
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #47 on: October 02, 2007, 05:48:08 PM

The offensive line woes plus having 2 LB's left is rather heartbreaking.
And those two LBs were picked off of waivers cause nobody else wanted them. So they were playing with two LB rejects and a rookie saftey at LB for most of the game. On the other side NE has so many healthy LBs that they played with two LBs *on offense* on some plays as two TEs with Mike Vrabel catching a TD pass (giving him 9 catches for 9 TDs in his career as a TE).
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #48 on: October 02, 2007, 07:57:18 PM

I was watching, we can stop talking about that game any time now...

we had a LB 9 days on the team and the other 22 days on the team and our rookie safety from ND who was fun to watch when he got to play safety on the first series.

re: the 49ers (the only other team I know quite well, well the raiders too I suppose) they will never have a good offense.  Alex Smith is not the one.  He never will be.  The kid just doesn't have good football instincts, and really doesn't have top10 QB ability either.  But he's just not even smart enough to just come in and throw enough to keep a defense honest against Frank Gore aparently.  I really wish they could hand the ball to Dorsey again, they could get 9-7 w/ Dorsey in all likelyhood.

They are two pieces away from a Cowboy-esque resurgence.  They need a QB who is competent and they need a WR who deserves to be a household name.  Hate on TO all you want but you can't overestimate how much a defense has to do to keep track of him, I'm not mentioning Whitten because the Niners do have Vernon Davis and nobody is sure even out here in SF how good he might be.

-William Gibson
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #49 on: October 02, 2007, 08:29:33 PM

I'd like to say Witten is the best TE in the league right now (heh), but he's probably just the most fortunate. ;)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #50 on: October 02, 2007, 09:49:52 PM

I'd like to say Witten is the best TE in the league right now (heh), but he's probably just the most fortunate. ;)

Tough to say, Dallas Clark does a great job. He's got more TD's and less yards atm.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #51 on: October 02, 2007, 10:00:19 PM

There's also Antonio Gates and Kellen Winslow.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 02, 2007, 10:36:32 PM

What a gem Sammy Morris turned out to be for my fantasy team… …and Reggie Bush has done dick…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #53 on: October 03, 2007, 01:34:45 AM

re: the 49ers (the only other team I know quite well, well the raiders too I suppose) they will never have a good offense.  Alex Smith is not the one.  He never will be.  The kid just doesn't have good football instincts, and really doesn't have top10 QB ability either.  But he's just not even smart enough to just come in and throw enough to keep a defense honest against Frank Gore aparently.  I really wish they could hand the ball to Dorsey again, they could get 9-7 w/ Dorsey in all likelyhood.

I agree that Smith is not the one, but I think the O-line and the offensive play calling are the bigger problems right now.  The Steelers game was the only one so far where the play calling was even remotely competent.
WayAbvPar

Reply #54 on: October 03, 2007, 08:21:34 AM

It is hard for Smith to be the one with a 300+ pound DT jumping on his head. However, I think I am with you- he hasn't shown the flashes of brilliance you would expect from a 'franchise QB'.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #55 on: October 03, 2007, 08:37:54 AM

Actually he has shown flashes of brillance like the game winning drive in the Arizona game. He did that a couple of times last season as well. The problem is he doesn't play like that most of the time.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 03, 2007, 08:59:47 AM

I'm not sure if Delt is from Cleveland or not, he sounds like a Browns fan but I dont know whether the comparison versus the Browns proves it or tears it.

Either way, fuck off shithead.  If you enjoy football you should enjoy watching the Bengals offense when it is working as intended.  The offensive line woes plus having 2 LB's left is rather heartbreaking.

Yep, I'm from Cleveland. 28 of my 32 years have been in Cleveland with just a short stop in Dayton for college (back when the Bengals had no fans at all or at least no fans that would admit to being Bengals fans).

I just love giving (new) Bengals fans shit because they all seem to share this unrealistic belief that the Bengals are (and have been) somehow an elite NFL team while actual history shows otherwise. Bengals fans almost universally forget that are two sides to football as you have shown in your post. I should be sucking on bengal dick because they have an offense? I think not. Get a complete team and make the playoffs twice in a decade and then we can talk.

By the way Browns > Bengals. Better record, better divisional record, and they won heads up with the Browns having the better offense in that particular game.

Bring it.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: October 03, 2007, 01:08:49 PM

Actually he has shown flashes of brillance like the game winning drive in the Arizona game. He did that a couple of times last season as well. The problem is he doesn't play like that most of the time.

Everyone here in 49er land got this feeling when they heard Norv Turner was leaving that it was going to be a rough year.  When he was calling plays in his own offense last year, Alex Smith looked GOOD, especially towards the end of the year.  He never looked great, but he looked good.  He's a competent guy who, if given time, won't lose a game for you.  All I want out of him really.  But Turner - There was a tangible difference in his play calling from whoever they had the year before and now this year's guy.  You never got that feeling of "What the fuck did they just call a run up the middle for on 3rd and long at the 40 yd. line."  It's a feeling I've had many times this year, and I know why.

This year, they're just not comfortable in their own skin.  They've got Jennings and Allen on their line.  They're both pro-bowl guys.  There's no way they should be getting beat as bad as they are.  It doesn't take a football guy to watch their linemen arguing on the sideline after they ole'd for the 4th or 5th sack of the game, and see that the system isn't being coached well.  Linemen arguing on the sideline.  How often do you see that?  Three offensive coordinators in three years.  Not good.  Worse than I thought.  Oh god.

I just heard Golic on ESPN say that the injury of Smith could be good for them, as Dilfer's more of a pocket guy.  He said that could help the line figure out where their assholes are, and finish the comparison with the hole in the ground.  I hope so.  Okay, he didn't really say it like that.

AKA Gyoza
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #58 on: October 03, 2007, 01:10:32 PM

I've been a Bengals fan my whole life, which admittedly means at the age of 6 when I watched them lose the superbowl to the home town team is my first real football memory.  But thanks for making dumbass assumptions you fucking fat cleveland twit.

I never said dick about the Browns, you brought them up, I have nothing but sympathy for browns fans considering the way they got dicked when their team left them and then won the superbowl for a diff city.

Your just a fucking prick making a stupid assumption though.  Wtg.

-William Gibson
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 03, 2007, 01:29:17 PM

Granted, I didn't have the time to pay attention to the offseason, and NFL news up here can be sporadic, but I expected more out of a few teams, the 49ers being one of them. I had them pegged to have a decent season and to see Vernon Davis become the next Antonio Gates (ok, maybe not THAT good, but I figured he'd have a breakout year). I expected the Rams and Saints to have a bit of a fall-off, but nothing like what is occuring with those two teams. I also figured that Jacksonville would be better, and I'm paying for it with my fantasy teams where I have Jones-Drew on all of them.

I did say one thing that so far appears to be true, I said that the Chargers had solved their 'not winning in the playoffs' problem by hiring a coach that won't even get them there.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #60 on: October 04, 2007, 01:31:39 AM

I think Davis has just as much skill and smarts as Witten, but without the team to create/distract for him -- which is what he needs. Neither one are Gates or Gonzales though. Those two are so good that their teams build their entire offensive strategy around them.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #61 on: October 08, 2007, 10:08:49 AM

Poor Green Bay. How could you let the game slide away like that to the BEARS? How!?!?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #62 on: October 08, 2007, 10:38:54 AM

Seahawks v Steelers-

<insert Ned Beatty Deliverance screen cap here>

God that was sad. Offense looked like they had never played together before, and the defense finally got tired after being on the field for 25 FUCKING MINUTES OF THE 2ND HALF.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #63 on: October 08, 2007, 11:34:40 AM

Poor Green Bay. How could you let the game slide away like that to the BEARS? How!?!?

Let's just get a tally of my weekend.

Drew Brees gets dickstomped again. Somehow my fantasy football team still wins.

Packers shit the bed in the second half, for reasons which are a mystery to me. Though I suspect Favre got pissed that his coach learned his clock management skills from Art Shell.

Cubs gets swept. I should be used to this by now, but it still stings like an assTrusion.

Liverpool draws to a team they should have beat. My sports weekend pretty much sucked rocks.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 08, 2007, 11:50:50 AM

What Colts team showed up against the Bucs on Sunday? We got absolutely curbstomped while the Colts showed why they are Super Bowl champs.

It's starting to look like a three or four team league in the first third of the season.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 08, 2007, 01:36:15 PM

Can the 49ers get any worse?
Here's a bit of draft info for you:  The Pats own our first round draft pick so even though they lost theirs, they will most likely draft high.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #66 on: October 08, 2007, 02:28:16 PM

Not really, unless you replace Dilfer with Drew Bledsoe or better yet a garden gnome.  The gnome's got mobility on both of them.

Niners will be bad until they get a real QB. Then, they have to add some competent receivers.  A former QB and a guy mostly remembered for doing coke/dropping passes won't cut it.  Vernon Davis has yet to prove himself to be anything other than another freak athlete drafted way too high.  He should go hang out with Matt Jones. 

And yah, Frank Gore is good.  Very good.  He just needs more than the holes he's gotten this year.  He's got to feel a bit like Edge did last year.

-Rasix
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 08, 2007, 04:44:29 PM

Here's a bit of draft info for you:  The Pats own our first round draft pick so even though they lost theirs, they will most likely draft high.

There is a possibility that NE won't have any draft picks due to the controversy in Week One. Don't forget that. ;)

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #68 on: October 08, 2007, 05:54:02 PM

Oh what the fuck?! The Bills are pulling some sneaky shit already. Thought tonight was gonna be a breeze.  angry
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 08, 2007, 06:49:34 PM

It's even worse now.

Go Bills! Sorry, I can't pull for America's team because my boss at work loves 'em. I might need to have him Baker Acted or put on suicide watch if the Boys lose. :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL Football- It's FANtastic!  
Jump to: