It pains me to say it, but FFXI has actually improved.

<< < (2/41) > >>

Ixxit:
There is a newbie area now in Everquest called the Mines of Gloomingdeep where all 1st levels start out. This takes you to level 10 or so, and then it is off to the Plane of Knowledge to run the next set of quests.  Last time I checked in with EQ was with the release of the Serpent's Spine expansion (about a year ago)   which included a new starting city 'Crescent Reach', the new Drakkin race which  allowed you to level from 1 to 75 with the new quests/content.

Suprisingly, both Gloomindeep and Crescent Reach always have quite a few low level characters and there are  lots of people in the POK going to and fro, however the original starting cities are completely empty.  For yucks I once ported over to Freeport from the POK to bash some rats, and I don't think I  ever saw another character.  Overall the game does feel nicely poplulated even though some areas are compeletely underused.

Concerning FFXI  do you still need to re-buy the entire game if you haven't played for over three months? Last Christmas I picked up the 360 version for cheap and played for a couple of months, and would like to try it again some day, but I'm not going to buy another copy. This is the single-most retared customer-hating policy  that I have ever seen.

Kitsune:
Quote from: raydeen on September 23, 2007, 01:38:14 AM

Can I choose which server I want to play on yet?
Yes, they dropped the stupid worldpass thing.  They do have a gold worldpass, which is like a referral bonus program where if someone signs up with a gold worldpass given by an existing player, the new and old players get bonus stuff, but it's not required to choose your own server.

Does installing/patching require less than three hours?
Yes, thanks to putting everything on one DVD.  Still takes about an hour and a half, though, big patches.

Can I have more than one character per server without paying extra?
Nope, they never did change that.

Actually, I could probably live with no to any or all of these questions, but I want to be able to travel easily between any of the starter cities.
Airships can take you between cities, but to get the ability to ride the airship you either have to reach rank 5 through missions, or pay 500,000 gil for a license.  So not a big help to a starting character unless they've gone to goldsellers.

Tell me they took out the fucking bats that patrolled both ends of that tunnel that connected the two parts.
I walked through that tunnel with no sign of bats, but it was daytime, so dunno for sure.
Quote from: Ixxit on September 23, 2007, 07:26:45 AM

Concerning FFXI  do you still need to re-buy the entire game if you haven't played for over three months? Last Christmas I picked up the 360 version for cheap and played for a couple of months, and would like to try it again some day, but I'm not going to buy another copy. This is the single-most retared customer-hating policy  that I have ever seen.

I have no idea whether that insane re-buy the game thing is still in effect or not.  I do know that next week they're having one of their 'please come back, we miss your money' promotions where they'll restore your old characters even if they've been deleted, so I'm presuming that as part of that, they'll re-activate expired game accounts without trying to make someone buy the box.  However, unlike some other MMOGs that throw in a free month on their 'please come back' deals, FFXI is 'please resubscribe and pay for a month and come back', so we can see that Square is still not entirely conversant with the idea of good customer service.

bhodi:
Well, since they apparently delete characters after 90 days, I have 0 interest in ever installing it again.

Kitsune:
That's the point of the 'please come back' thing, they'll un-delete the old characters.  If they had more sense about it, they'd do what Sony did and never delete any old accounts, but they apparently do have the ability to archive and restore old accounts when they want to.

Numtini:
FFXI was a great game completely ruined by Squeenix's arrogance and refusal to adapt to the western market. The problems were so simple to fix. So obvious. Don't delete characters, use an easier launcher, create a standard control set. Nevermind running NA servers with faster XP and looser grouping. Just those three things would probably have netted them tens of thousands of accounts over time.

I had my character restored at one point, but I was still stuck at the kazam airship block and a week later I was still sitting in the exact place I had been a year earlier shouting for the same group that wasn't going to be there. Just not enough players.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page