Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:31:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 Dedicated Server 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TF2 Dedicated Server  (Read 213261 times)
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #630 on: December 27, 2007, 09:55:48 AM

So....

Are there any servers that people generally frequent for TF2?  Or any that you'd recommend?

I'm with Haemish and Johnny Cee. Where do you all play? Or did the fun and shiny wear off already?

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
schild
Administrator

Reply #631 on: December 27, 2007, 09:56:22 AM

I usually play on a 24 hour Dustbowl/Gravel Pit server with fruit, mkvenner, and dannyb. Well, when they're around. I do not remember the name of it.
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #632 on: December 27, 2007, 10:01:49 AM

I still play daily but can't remember the names of my favorite servers.  I usually try to join someone thats in a game on my friend list though.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #633 on: December 27, 2007, 10:46:06 AM

I play on any server that doesn't have any custom shit and has a ping under 70.  I've got a few of them favorited but can't remember the names now.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #634 on: December 27, 2007, 10:56:09 AM

I play on Medick's Madhouse server(s), Bay Area, all-talk, some custom maps but a good rtv contingent so we only play them when we feel like it.  It had a very high overall quality of play back before everyone got tired of TF2 having no fucking maps.  Now its above-avg but sometimes one team is obviously the nub team.

I like it enough that I've come close to buying a reserved spot for $10 a couple of times, its a great server and I'll post the ip when I'm at home.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #635 on: December 27, 2007, 12:02:18 PM

4Chan Party Van!
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #636 on: December 27, 2007, 09:51:32 PM

I play on Medick's Mad house too, but mostly you can find me on one of theville.org's servers. They have a few that are 24/7 Dustbowl but they'll occasionally change the name mid-game and fire up Gravel Pit.

My clan's server is on the internap backbone and located in Chicago if you guys want to just jump on there randomly. It gets seeded pretty quick. I ping 60ish from SF, guys ping 50ish from Seattle, 40-60 from Canada, and for some reason 3 guys ping 10ms from DC.

tf2.qf.cx
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #637 on: December 28, 2007, 11:38:43 PM

Okay:

1.  Insta-respawn servers make the original maps suck balls.  There's almost no way to take alot of those maps if the defenders immediately respawn.  Really makes a suicidal pyro rush on Dee annoying,  since they immediately respawn at their last flag.

2.  What's the deal with jumping when firing the rocket as a soldier?  I started doing it tonight, and all of a sudden I'm murdering people left and right.  Is it just increasing your height from the ground meaning you're more likely to land a rocket directly at someones feet,  or some wierd TF2 mechanic?

3.  There's a pile of shittily designed maps floating around.  Waaay too many sniper heaven maps.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #638 on: December 29, 2007, 03:25:09 PM

Is it just increasing your height from the ground meaning you're more likely to land a rocket directly at someones feet?

Yes.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #639 on: December 29, 2007, 05:03:27 PM

Here are the medick server IP's you'll find me in them if I'm on TF2...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #640 on: December 30, 2007, 09:48:49 PM

The biggest shame of the f13 server disappearing, for me, is that it actually allowed me to play with you people.

That's also why I donated for it. I don't have a huge resentment for the server being taken down after I only got to play on it a few times and the monies going to keep the board afloat, but it doesnt give me warm fuzzies either, since I donated for a different cause. (I'd have donated again seperately for the board, but hey thats where my TF2 money went, so hey..)

BTW, the donation box - "All Donations Go to Second Server. 56% There!" I'm sure it's been explained at some stage but I missed it. What does it mean again?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #641 on: December 30, 2007, 09:51:08 PM

Well, when we hit enough for the second server, we'll decide to either use it for f13's next box or for a game server.

Again, the ONLY reason the f13 server was taken down is because it was empty for 2 weeks. A good server for games costs between $110 and $130 a month for me. That's at a 25% discount. If someone donates $120 and says put up a games server, we'll put it up. Not trying to tell you to do that, just saying, paying for a dead server is stupid. Unless someone else wants to be silly like that.

Also, there are no linux binaries for zombie panic yet.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #642 on: December 30, 2007, 11:05:57 PM

Makes sense, and like I said, I don't have a huge resentment. It was just that I got to play at the start over a couple weeks, then work got busy, then when it cleared up the server was gone, so I only got to play like 8 times or so.

So (not knowing how they charge or by what time amount) would it work to have an occasional f13 server for a weekend here and there for different games depending on what people are playing /willing to play for a weekend or other short bursts?

Like one weekend: TF2.
2 weeks later: Zombie Panic.
2 weeks later: CoD4
2 Weeks later: something else..

etc.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #643 on: December 30, 2007, 11:06:46 PM

The bigger problem with that is that it's a shitload of work for the admin (Ookii).

It's month by month (or 35% off for the year).
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #644 on: December 31, 2007, 06:55:38 AM

meh, just pay costs for another year. There's nothing that we really gain by owning our own server that we can't have by invading someone elses.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #645 on: December 31, 2007, 09:44:30 AM

meh, just pay costs for another year. There's nothing that we really gain by owning our own server that we can't have by invading someone elses.

It IS pretty fun to have F13 server reunions on other people's servers.  But the last time I tried it, we got our asses handed to us but good.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #646 on: December 31, 2007, 10:04:22 AM

It IS pretty fun to have F13 server reunions on other people's servers.  But the last time I tried it, we got our asses handed to us but good.

The only problem playing on other people's servers is the inability to kick douchebags who cheat and grief.  Well for the people who had kicking powers on f13's servers that is.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: January 01, 2008, 04:11:12 AM

We use http://www.nfoservers.com/ for a 20 slot pub plus vent and it's about $85/mo FWIW.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #648 on: January 01, 2008, 01:35:25 PM

We use http://www.nfoservers.com/ for a 20 slot pub plus vent and it's about $85/mo FWIW.

Yeah but for about 25 more bucks a month we have the full server which can run 2 or 3 24 slot servers plus vent and have full root access.

If we charged people 85 a month for a 20 slot server I bet we could fit 4 in our server, every 20 slot server would be 27.50 in actual server costs would garner 57.50 in profit per server which would be 230 total profit a month.

Not a bad business idea!

schild
Administrator

Reply #649 on: January 01, 2008, 01:53:36 PM

You all pay too much for way too little.

Edit: What Ookii said.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: January 03, 2008, 04:03:28 PM

No.

I ping 40ms from SF. Nucks ping 40-60. Guy in Mexico pings 75. DC guys ping 10 for some reason, and NY/mass guys ping 25.

You get what you pay for.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: TF2 Dedicated Server  
Jump to: