Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:38:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Fanboi attacks WoW! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fanboi attacks WoW!  (Read 41605 times)
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 16, 2004, 07:47:38 AM

WoW doesn't have item decay, but almost off the good items are "bind on equip" (once you wear it, you cannot ever trade it to another player) which performs pretty much the same function in the economy.  The raid drops thing will doubtless be true (though there will probably be uber-items made from drops that can only be obtained on raids, which is pretty much the same thing).

I think that progression-based games will have trouble having apex items being tradeskill-made until they find a way to make becoming a master smith more of a brutalizing treadmill than getting 30 characters from level 1 to max level, through the pre-raid game equipment progression, whipped into a well-oiled machine, and experienced enough to farm the bejeesus out of the things that drop the best loot.  

I am pretty sure I wouldn't want to see that.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: September 16, 2004, 02:51:15 PM

Quote from: schild
Quote from: HRose's Blog
Fuck you Blizzard.

It seems that Blizzard won't allow foreign players to choose where to play. They'll enforce the servers by checking the credit cards.

This means that I won't be able to play.

FUCK YOU.

I guess we have to make a few sacrifices for the greater good, eh eh?

Good. That's what you get for taking my spot in the NORTH AMERICAN fucking beta. Jackass.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #37 on: September 16, 2004, 09:05:27 PM

Because I don't like starting new threads:

Rob Pardo spoke to McIGN about WoW PvP.

It's a pretty good article, written by Pardo himself, it goes how people will pvp and what the rewards will be.

McIGN
Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 17, 2004, 12:53:14 AM

Quote from: Soukyan
Good. That's what you get for taking my spot in the NORTH AMERICAN fucking beta. Jackass.

Well said.  Thank you!

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 17, 2004, 06:10:16 AM

Quote from: slog
Wow is just supposed to be EQ dont right.  Of course they are going to make a lot of the same mistakes SOE did.  

It's a MMORPG, and they have never made one before.  Yawn

Somebody already made Everquest done right.

They named it Everquest.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #40 on: September 17, 2004, 09:03:30 AM

Quote from: MrHat

It's a pretty good article, written by Pardo himself, it goes how people will pvp and what the rewards will be.

McIGN

Read the parts Hrose posted over on Corp. All I can say is, "Sounds like DAoC, except with better grief potential." Removing the instanced battlegrounds, allowing players to kill opposing factions quest NPC's, BAD FUCKING IDEAS. Giving grief points, good ideas, but doesn't go far enough to achieve the intended aim.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #41 on: September 17, 2004, 09:26:34 AM

How long does it take for a slain quest-giver npc to respawn? I have to admit, although the idea of allowing quest-givers to be slain is distasteful, it does provide a real incentive for higher level players to defend the homelands. I just don't like that it does so on the frustration of the lower level players.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 17, 2004, 09:28:37 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
Quote from: MrHat

McIGN

Read the parts Hrose posted over on Corp. All I can say is, "Sounds like DAoC, except with better grief potential." Removing the instanced battlegrounds, allowing players to kill opposing factions quest NPC's, BAD FUCKING IDEAS. Giving grief points, good ideas, but doesn't go far enough to achieve the intended aim.

Acutally, in that IGN post, Pardo says that you loose experience for griefing.

Quote from: Rob Pardo
There are also dishonorable kills, and these would include killing lower level PCs and NPCs, and especially non-aggressive NPCs like gryphon masters and quest givers. If you repeatedly make dishonorable kills, you'll eventually go into the negative ranks, lose experience and become attackable on sight by both factions. Our intention is to punish dishonorable behavior and reward honorable PvP play.
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 17, 2004, 10:32:47 AM

Quote from: Sky
How long does it take for a slain quest-giver npc to respawn? I have to admit, although the idea of allowing quest-givers to be slain is distasteful, it does provide a real incentive for higher level players to defend the homelands. I just don't like that it does so on the frustration of the lower level players.

It wasn't too disruptive, they don't take too long to respawn (5 minutes maybe).  And if its simply a few enemy guys doing it they are usually wiped out or driven away shortly after the call to arms went through so it's not like it caused to much trouble for my lowbie.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 17, 2004, 10:40:06 AM

It's utterly asinine to put the best PvE content in PvP zones.  

utterly.

asinine.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 17, 2004, 10:41:22 AM

Because if we've learned anything, it's that players police themselves in terms of pvp and griefing.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #46 on: September 17, 2004, 11:06:02 AM

You'll EVENTUALLY lose experience. I don't think this will be a strong enough deterrent to griefing.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: September 17, 2004, 12:40:51 PM

Well, there's really nothing that is sufficient to eliminate griefing because for griefers griefing is the game. They might as well just get that silly idea about people doing PVE in PVP zones out of their heads though. Already seen that one. People crammed themselves like sardines into Spindelhalla rather than get griefed in the far better frontier zones.

It really looks to me like WOW is going to end up being the competition in the DAOC not EQ market to me. The longer the beta goes on, it seems the more and more the PVP is coming to the forefront and that seems to be them following the leader of the players with the feedback about what's actually fun and who's actually interested in the game.

That could actually save the game. I've heard a lot of good things about the PVP, but I never took it seriously because the publicity was that it was not a PVP game.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #48 on: September 17, 2004, 01:29:35 PM

There will be entirely too much PVE for it to be taken seriously as a PVP game.

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 17, 2004, 02:00:04 PM

Recent news re: WoW seems PvP-centrc because PvP went in much later.  And the fabois talk about it because PvP always generates more forum traffic than fighting hostile stoplights that shit loot and respawn.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 17, 2004, 04:04:42 PM

I blame Hrose for inventing mmorpg's.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #51 on: September 17, 2004, 04:31:51 PM

Quote from: Evil Elvis

Al Gores son?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #52 on: September 17, 2004, 06:39:56 PM

Quote from: NiX

Al Gores son?

Maybe you should read up on Al Gore's role in the development of the Internet before rehashing that joke.
schild
Administrator

Reply #53 on: September 22, 2004, 06:53:55 PM

I just got into this round of Beta. Expect a full article sooner or later. We'll see if Everquest: Azaroth can hook me.

kekekekekeekekekekekekZERGRUSH^^
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: September 22, 2004, 08:06:47 PM

I just got into this round of Beta. Expect a full article sooner or later. We'll see if Everquest: Azaroth can hook me.

kekekekekeekekekekekekZERGRUSH^^

Damn you... share plzkthx. ;)

"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: September 22, 2004, 09:19:21 PM

I got an invite as well -- actually, it was pretty amazing, I got a second one by mistake somehow at the same e-mail address, so I gave one of the e-mails to a couple of my RL friends who still failed to get one.

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #56 on: September 22, 2004, 09:23:29 PM

Is this another round of Blizzard beta, or the nVidia thing?

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 22, 2004, 10:35:55 PM

Of course schild gets one.

I hate you.

What was the addy the email came from, you know, for spamblockers and the such?
schild
Administrator

Reply #58 on: September 22, 2004, 10:46:33 PM

The email came from:
worldofwarcraftbeta@blizzard.com

And of course I got one. I posted a picture of their little fur...errrrrr press relations guy. I'm going to have a review of the download process up in about 5 days. WHEN IT FUCKING FINISHES.
Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: September 22, 2004, 11:30:49 PM

The email came from:

And of course I got one. I posted a picture of their little fur...errrrrr press relations guy. I'm going to have a review of the download process up in about 5 days. WHEN IT FUCKING FINISHES.

I've heard that if you're behind a firewall you can speed up your throughput tremendously by opening up all your ports - or at least all the ones that are being used by the BitTorrent client.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #60 on: September 22, 2004, 11:41:36 PM

Quote from: Trippy
Quote from: NiX

Al Gores son?

Maybe you should read up on Al Gore's role in the development of the Internet before rehashing that joke.

Or not.
schild
Administrator

Reply #61 on: September 23, 2004, 12:15:19 AM

Quote from: Liquidator
The email came from:

I've heard that if you're behind a firewall you can speed up your throughput tremendously by opening up all your ports - or at least all the ones that are being used by the BitTorrent client.

Well, yea. The problem is, I'm on a cable modem. So they are just crippling my whole connection by maxing my upstream. I'm getting about 120kbps up when I should be doing about, oh 20.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #62 on: September 23, 2004, 03:18:01 AM

Quote from: Alkiera
Is this another round of Blizzard beta, or the nVidia thing?

New round. The nVidia invites are going out at the same time, though.  Sucks to be my empty mailbox.

schild:

Yeah, they removed the option to limit your upstream 2-3 patches back because so many people were turning it off completly. You might want to try restarting it.  I just loaded up the stress test client (Which *will* patch itself) and I'm getting 387.76 DL/ 7.1 UL.

Also, make sure your firewall/ router is listening on port 6112 (Bliz's battle.net port) as well as the bittorrent ports. When I opened that one up and rebooted I got the speeds I'm getting now, before that I was getting the same results as you.  (My router had a "Battle.net" setting in the apps section, so that's why I tried it.)

And for a laugh while you're waiting, go check out the whining on the Beta boards from the Battle.net kids.  Blizzard unveiled their newest naming policy yesterday which is retroactive, unlike the previous one.  Complaints about not being able to be 'Barbie', 'MrFunHooves', 'Whee', 'Neo' etc are flying.  Good times.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 23, 2004, 04:58:48 AM

See, that whole BitTorrent thing is bullshit. I should not have to open any ports on my router/firewall. They can toss up an FTP or give me a download link from a separate web site they could set up solely for the purpose of distribution. I know it's beta and they want to limit bandwidth costs, but ummm... the BT is supposedly a test as well which indicates that they may be considering it for release distribution? Does this mean the monthly fee for the game will be lower since they are minimizing their bandwidth costs? Are they passing that savings on to the customer or are they just giving themselves more profit? Yeah, I'm in an irrational bitchy mood today.

On a different note... if you snag the URL or seed or whatever the fuck they call the referring address used for a BT file, couldn't you just download it using a client like BitTornado? Then you would have control over the uploads, schild. Or is their BT client doing something proprietary enough to make third party BT clients impossible to use?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #64 on: September 23, 2004, 05:23:12 AM

See, that whole BitTorrent thing is bullshit. I should not have to open any ports on my router/firewall. They can toss up an FTP or give me a download link from a separate web site they could set up solely for the purpose of distribution. I know it's beta and they want to limit bandwidth costs, but ummm... the BT is supposedly a test as well which indicates that they may be considering it for release distribution? Does this mean the monthly fee for the game will be lower since they are minimizing their bandwidth costs? Are they passing that savings on to the customer or are they just giving themselves more profit? Yeah, I'm in an irrational bitchy mood today.

No, you're absolutly correct to be bitchy about it, because it's bullshit.  They ARE planning to use BitTorrent at release, I saw a dev post about that around the last time they patched.  I've seen - from other players, NOT devs - posts saying they're doing this to reduce the monthly fee.  I've never seen a link to a source, though, so I mark it down as Bnet fanboy bullshit dreaming.

The biggest problem with BT is for the kids at colleges.  No control over their network settings and colleges are wising-up to BT now and blocking those ports.  There's been multiple posts each patch from folks who can't get their routers properly configured, or are behind firewalls run by providers that block or limit speeds on BT ports.  A Bliz rep recently said they'll have an option for these folks at release.  Anyone want to bet which option will get used more often?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: September 23, 2004, 05:55:49 AM

I'll wager that the monthly fee is $15 per month ("but it would have been $19.95 if we hadn't used BT as a distirbution method!"). ;)  I could be totally wrong. If they set the fee at 10 per month or hell, even 12 per month, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Plus, I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition months upon months ago, so I won't need to download the damnable thing anyhow. Hell, if they really piss me off, I can wipe my ass with the cloth map. Har!

SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 23, 2004, 06:09:09 AM

Yes, they are going to use BT after release.  Many developers at AGC were shaking their heads privately about that one.  How can they be so stupid?

Christ, if they can't afford the bandwidth to host their patches they are going to have much bigger problems post-launch.

Bruce
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: September 23, 2004, 07:13:20 AM

BT should be faster (and was faster for me up until 2 patches ago when they came up with a new BT client that sucked ass) than a direct download in theory, but I don't think that it is ready for prime-time yet.  If I need to look at my router manual, I'll be pissed, and I am a freakish gamernerd.  This is why consoles will win out in the end, etc etc.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #68 on: September 23, 2004, 07:26:47 AM

Man, I gotta figure out this BT crap now? Blah.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: September 23, 2004, 07:32:19 AM

I'll wager that the monthly fee is $15 per month ("but it would have been $19.95 if we hadn't used BT as a distirbution method!"). ;)  I could be totally wrong. If they set the fee at 10 per month or hell, even 12 per month, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Plus, I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition months upon months ago, so I won't need to download the damnable thing anyhow. Hell, if they really piss me off, I can wipe my ass with the cloth map. Har!

Found this morsel on WorldofWar.net.  It basically points to a gamecard sale at gamestop that is 2 months worth for $30.  So you're right, looks like it will be $15 a month.  That's almost as much as my gamefly subscription.  It's getting harder and harder to justify this hobby.  Also, it's listed for sale on the 30th of Nov. like all the other pointers we've seen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Fanboi attacks WoW!  
Jump to: