Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:43:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: 7 day Free Trial 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 7 day Free Trial  (Read 16072 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 05, 2007, 09:42:18 PM

It's an unfortunate sign of a lack of overall interest when that repository of knowledge doesn't follow the game. The LoTRO Lorebook is a good place to start though. Still somewhat incomplete though. It's setup like a WIKI so requires player input. Doesn't seem to be that much in some of the places I was looking for answers to your question.

LoTRO is a good time filler if you're not interested in anything else.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #36 on: September 05, 2007, 10:16:06 PM

Thats what caught me offguard.  It is a relatively popular game, but nothing out there to back it up.  I wonder how churn rates are within the game. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 06, 2007, 07:01:24 PM

One thing I do not like- I wish there was a depository of info so I can understand some of the goddamn game mechanics.  WTF is battle ready state with a captain?

I haven't played it since beta either but it's a temporary effect brought on by your shout attack.

It needs both some decent kind of timer or visual indication and A BETTER NAME, since logically when you're surrounded by goblins and hacking mightily away you must be in some kind of battle-ready state, seeing as how you're BATTLING.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 06, 2007, 10:26:57 PM

That right there is the biggest disconnect for me.

The visuals of battle are cool looking enough. There's the usual sword swings that go through character models, and swords that connect visually but not statistically. But we've been there and done that and seen worse.

But:
  • The cinematic sequence of your chosen action doesn't happen the moment you hit a key, even in the many cases where there's no windup, no casting bar.
  • All abilities of cooldowns to some degree.

Net result is that you are still watching your Action Bar to see which icons are ready to be used again, missing the nice-looking animations of your character performing actions out of sync with the ones you asked to happen. It's a shame. If they could solve this one aspect alone, I think they'd keep a lot more action-oriented players. Story, good. Graphics, good. Lore, first rate. Tech and CSR, darned good. But this is all undone in my mind by a falty combat engine that relies too heavily on a global clock that is in no way hidden from the player.

To me it's like this. Imagine each dash below is 0.1 second and the + is when you called an action.

Code:
-------------+- EVENT
-+------------- EVENT

You will not see "EVENT" until the game has caught up, no matter when within that 1.5 second period you hit a key. And since you don't really know when within that 1.5s the game clock actually is, you're pretty much never going to get that WoW/CoX feel of instant. Every game has a global clock of some type to sync stuff. Some wear it on their sleeve more than others and I feel like LoTRO is worst of all. EQ1 was more instant often, particularly as a Bard, and that was a decade ago.

I don't know really anything about the tech, nor if the issue is really tied to the game clock. But it feels that way, like playing WoW under water.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 17, 2007, 07:14:07 AM

That right there is the biggest disconnect for me.

The visuals of battle are cool looking enough. There's the usual sword swings that go through character models, and swords that connect visually but not statistically. But we've been there and done that and seen worse.

But:
  • The cinematic sequence of your chosen action doesn't happen the moment you hit a key, even in the many cases where there's no windup, no casting bar.
  • All abilities of cooldowns to some degree.

Net result is that you are still watching your Action Bar to see which icons are ready to be used again, missing the nice-looking animations of your character performing actions out of sync with the ones you asked to happen. It's a shame. If they could solve this one aspect alone, I think they'd keep a lot more action-oriented players. Story, good. Graphics, good. Lore, first rate. Tech and CSR, darned good. But this is all undone in my mind by a falty combat engine that relies too heavily on a global clock that is in no way hidden from the player.

To me it's like this. Imagine each dash below is 0.1 second and the + is when you called an action.

Code:
-------------+- EVENT
-+------------- EVENT

You will not see "EVENT" until the game has caught up, no matter when within that 1.5 second period you hit a key. And since you don't really know when within that 1.5s the game clock actually is, you're pretty much never going to get that WoW/CoX feel of instant. Every game has a global clock of some type to sync stuff. Some wear it on their sleeve more than others and I feel like LoTRO is worst of all. EQ1 was more instant often, particularly as a Bard, and that was a decade ago.

I don't know really anything about the tech, nor if the issue is really tied to the game clock. But it feels that way, like playing WoW under water.

I don't really experience this... My instants are instant. As far as i can tell, now when that little icon pops up on the right , to tell me that the server is very full and they are decreasing my view distance...then stuff isn't quite so instant.

I dunno..

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 17, 2007, 08:03:24 AM

What class do you play? Things may have improved since I've left. For me as a Minstrel, even my instant Shouts never happened the moment I hit the key. This felt very much unlike CoX and WoW, where instants were instant.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 17, 2007, 08:32:07 AM

What class do you play? Things may have improved since I've left. For me as a Minstrel, even my instant Shouts never happened the moment I hit the key. This felt very much unlike CoX and WoW, where instants were instant.

Lore master level 19 ATM, but thats because im on tier 3 of tailor =)

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: 7 day Free Trial  
Jump to: