Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:16:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Morph-ball Acquired 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Morph-ball Acquired  (Read 54688 times)
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #70 on: July 24, 2007, 09:05:37 AM

I think mine is around two inches.  It has to be the "memory" foam though, it has gotten popular enough that people are selling cheap knock offs which are basically just the foam they use in packaging.  I think I bought it at Costco, you have to unroll it and let it uncompress for a few days before it is usable.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #71 on: July 24, 2007, 09:07:11 AM

First thing my wife and I ever bought together was a Tempur-Pedic like bed.  At that time Tempur-Pedic really only had the base model and this other one (at a store called Relax-The-Back) had a softer top to go along with the memory foam base. 

Best purchase ever.  Expensive, but well, well worth it.  I have really bad sleep issues and a bad back and adding another person to the mix wasn't going to help.  I have relatively few sleep issues now and it's never an issue of comfort.   :-D

-Rasix
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: July 24, 2007, 09:13:14 AM

And buy one of those curvy foam pillows too, I don't like the tempurpedic because they are too hard and insanely expensive though.

I got a tempurpedic foam pillow for Christmas one year and while it was extremely comfortable it only lasted about a year before it was mush. That pretty much killed the idea of buying a really expensive bed made of the same stuff I'd also have to throw away a year later.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #73 on: July 24, 2007, 09:14:46 AM

Heh. I slept on a temperpedic bed for 1 year.

I HATE memory foam for 3 reasons:

1) You don't get that nice feeling of collapsing into your bed, as it's hard as a rock initially.
2) That shit heats up overnight, I used to routinely wake up sweaty.
3) I like to toss and turn.  When it grabs you like a glove, it doesn't let go, then, if your body decides it wants to move to a different position, you wake up, because it takes actual effort to move around.

Rasix

Reply #74 on: July 24, 2007, 09:19:11 AM

Never had any of those problems.  Bed's got a 10 year warranty also.

I know this is a bit insensitive, but are you extremely heavy? Maybe it's just the brand I bought.  I sink in fine, stay cool, and flop like a fish out of water.   

-Rasix
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: July 24, 2007, 09:22:30 AM

~200lbs, not really.  I'm just a restless sleeper I guess.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #76 on: July 24, 2007, 09:45:08 AM

We bought a tempurpedic bed not long ago.  It's the best for Righ's back and it's very comfy... not rock hard, and it doesn't overheat.  I have one of those pillows that stay mostly cool all night, too.  I love it.  I have sleep issues and it takes me forever to fall asleep and I wake up easily, but this mattress helps a lot.  (you can get them with comfy tops too, you know)  Best thing I ever did was toss out the pillow top mattress with the nasty nasty box spring and get this thing. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: July 24, 2007, 10:36:20 AM

I have also heard about the tempurpedic better for your back deal.

My only experience with that is when I had a herniated disc in my back (later needing surgery). We went mattress shopping for a new bed since the old one was giving me major issues. The moment I laid down on one of the tempurpedics I starting having massive back spasms. Could have been complete coincidence but I haven't tried the tempurpedic mattress since. It also could have been the fact that my back was already messed up and causing me to hunch a bit and the mattress was trying to force me into a "normal" position which caused the problem.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #78 on: July 24, 2007, 11:36:34 AM

The tempurpedic foam behaves very differently in a cold room than it does in a warm room.  I like my room cold, so much so that I usually crack a window open during the winter, tempurpedic foam has the same consistency as granite in that situation, you could give yourself a concussion flopping down on that pillow.  If your room is significantly above the average room temperature of 71 it would be squishy though.  It's weird stuff.

Heh, does anyone remember waterbeds, man those were a bad idea.  I used to have one as a kid and still remember all those waterbed stores.  I guess it was just an 80s fad that died out.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #79 on: July 24, 2007, 11:47:16 AM

Bed.  One of the few things that my wife will admit that I was right about and she was incredibly wrong was my decision to go 100% soft.  We started off with the softest pillowtop we could get and added a pad on top.  That was awesome in a relative way and I was given full credit.  Later on we got the memory foam pad to lay on top and when I took it off to clean it once, it was terrible, relatively.  The pad is the 1.5 or 2-inch one; they make thicker ones but we didn't spend a lot because we did not know how it would be... can't really test these things.  So my bed is springly like a regular mattress but it also has the foam part that cradles me like a baby.  I suppose you should get the thickest one you can afford.

If you get a Tempurpedic or whatever the ones that won't let you spill a glass of wine, you are getting about the same thing, which you can see from this link on how to clean one.  The whole thing is foam and most of it is regular foam.  Furthermore, if you have your memory foam inside your mattress and you have to clean it, well you can just read the article.  In my case I just took it off the bed, cleaned it, then put it back.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #80 on: July 25, 2007, 09:00:03 AM

I used to have a waterbed I loved (still have it in storage), now I sleep on a firm mattress, and I love that, too. I've slept on sofas, floors, piles of clothes. I've never had a problem sleeping unless it was drug-related. To me, the bed doesn't really matter at all. I slept in a chair for a year (not a year straight like Rip Van Winkle!).

The secret to a good night's sleep is meditation. I can drop off to sleep in a minute almost every night. Relax the entire body, shut off active thoughts, and drift downward into sleep. My fiancee hates that, she has trouble sleeping. I'm trying to teach her, I've been doing it for years now.
schild
Administrator

Reply #81 on: July 25, 2007, 09:06:10 AM

The secret to a good night's sleep is meditation. I can drop off to sleep in a minute almost every night. Relax the entire body, shut off active thoughts, and drift downward into sleep. My fiancee hates that, she has trouble sleeping. I'm trying to teach her, I've been doing it for years now.

She hates it because it's hippie bullshit.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: July 25, 2007, 09:36:21 AM

Heh.

I've found the best way to fall asleep is to only go to bed when you're tired.  Works like a charm.  So what if you're not tired and it's midnight?  Ya, you'll have a harder time the next day, but you will self-regulate overtime.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: July 25, 2007, 09:48:55 AM

I'm the first to mock stupid hippy stuff, but I'm not talking about meditating on a mat for hours, contemplating the nature of the universe. It's a proven method to fall asleep quickly, even if you're not very tired. But you rock on, kid, and enjoy those sleepless nights.
schild
Administrator

Reply #84 on: July 25, 2007, 09:56:03 AM

I've found the best way to get tired and go to sleep is to play an MMOG.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: July 25, 2007, 10:31:34 AM

I picked up the Wheel of Time books that I hadn't read yet because, well, I think I might be brain damaged, but apropos of nothing they put me to sleep in less than a page.  I should be good for YEARS.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: July 25, 2007, 10:34:19 AM

I picked up the Wheel of Time books that I hadn't read yet because, well, I think I might be brain damaged, but apropos of nothing they put me to sleep in less than a page.  I should be good for YEARS.

Heh.  "The World Is Flat" does that to me and I can't figure out why.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: July 25, 2007, 10:44:37 AM

Pretty much every time a woman sniffs or tugs her hair or smooths a skirt or Yet Another New Character is introduced or Yet Another Deus Ex Machina is beaten with a club my eyelids droop a little further.  Like I said, it's usually less than a page until I'm out cold.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Rasix

Reply #88 on: July 25, 2007, 10:46:57 AM

Woah, that's the same thing I've taken up as a sleep aid.  I just started rereading the series.  I last a couple chapters, but that's just because I'm only on book 2.  I imagine 10 pages will put me out by book 6 when the (pardon the pun) wheels come off.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #89 on: July 25, 2007, 01:30:05 PM

The secret to a good night's sleep is meditation.

I'm not ruling out "childless government employee".

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: July 25, 2007, 01:43:59 PM

Heh. Good one!

But it did hold true when it was 'homeless musician', too...
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: July 25, 2007, 01:54:33 PM

Woah, that's the same thing I've taken up as a sleep aid.  I just started rereading the series.  I last a couple chapters, but that's just because I'm only on book 2.  I imagine 10 pages will put me out by book 6 when the (pardon the pun) wheels come off.

Oh, the first three or four books were fine.  Even by book 6 or so I could actually read an entire chapter in one sitting.  I'm up at the heady reaches of book 9 and I have to imagine that by book eleven one paragraph should be the equivalent of a mild overdose of heroin as a sleep aid.

I can't imagine what will happen to me if I actually encounter a section where SOMETHING HAPPENS, probably a state of shock followed by a mild concussion and then a prolonged state of confusion as my brain attempts to reactivate long calcified portions of its memory structures to reorganize itself around the new details.

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #92 on: July 25, 2007, 02:00:54 PM

I generally don't have trouble sleeping, but those rare times when I cannot fall asleep for some odd reason the brainwave generator helps a lot.

You can export whatever you pick to your portable player of choice, put on some headphones, and you're out for the count.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #93 on: July 25, 2007, 02:09:08 PM

I'm the first to mock stupid hippy stuff, but I'm not talking about meditating on a mat for hours, contemplating the nature of the universe. It's a proven method to fall asleep quickly, even if you're not very tired. But you rock on, kid, and enjoy those sleepless nights.

I'll stick for you on this one Sky. Basic Yoga breathing and systematically tensing and then releasing each muscle group works for me. I've never been able to do the whole shutting down active thoughts thing very well though. If I go to bed with my brain in overdrive, nothing is going to get me to sleep quickly.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #94 on: July 25, 2007, 08:28:33 PM

I'll stick for you on this one Sky. Basic Yoga breathing and systematically tensing and then releasing each muscle group works for me. I've never been able to do the whole shutting down active thoughts thing very well though. If I go to bed with my brain in overdrive, nothing is going to get me to sleep quickly.

While we're off in the mystical/esoteric, what works for me is visualizing a water wheel spinning, and then water coming out of a sluice in a direction that opposes the spin of the water wheel (the opposite of how you normally picture water spinning a water wheel). I can slowly visualize the wheel spinning slower and slower, and by the time it's getting close to stopping my mind is pretty blank.

Rumors of War
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #95 on: July 25, 2007, 10:03:50 PM

I prefer fine Kentucky bourbon, but whatever floats yer boat.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: July 26, 2007, 06:45:42 AM

While we're off in the mystical/esoteric
Woah, there cowboy. Nothing mystical or esoteric going on here.

Actually, I learned meditation under a Hindi guru in CA, but I always fell asleep while I was supposed to be meditating. My whole religious exploration phase is ancient history, but I figured if it helps me sleep, I'll continue to use some of the meditative tricks.

Mystic claptrap is for the weakminded.

VL: I'd rather not slug back six shots of bourbon every night.
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #97 on: July 26, 2007, 09:00:06 AM

While we're off in the mystical/esoteric
Woah, there cowboy. Nothing mystical or esoteric going on here.

Actually, I learned meditation under a Hindi guru in CA, but I always fell asleep while I was supposed to be meditating. My whole religious exploration phase is ancient history, but I figured if it helps me sleep, I'll continue to use some of the meditative tricks.

Mystic claptrap is for the weakminded.

VL: I'd rather not slug back six shots of bourbon every night.

Hehe...I had my "religious exploration phase" myself (although I mostly blew off organized religion as the masses know it), and the phrase "mystical/esoteric" wasn't intended to be a negative thing...just how I view it :)

Rumors of War
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #98 on: July 27, 2007, 05:03:08 AM

I prefer fine Kentucky bourbon, but whatever floats yer boat.

I drink coffee to fall asleep. I also drink more coffee to stay awake. It's kinda scary just how messed up my body is, in relation to caffein.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: July 27, 2007, 09:43:48 PM

I second the bourbon.

I used to drink a lot of coffee but I went cold-turkey. Now I drink some but not too much, a cup of caffeine a day at most. I used to get the most terrible headaches even from just sleeping in on the weekends.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #100 on: July 27, 2007, 10:01:00 PM

I get headaches from caffeine - bad pulsing migraines - about once a month.

Now my intake of caffeine is so high that I pass out about 1pm at work and doze off while I'm on the phone and get my energy back around 2:30.

As in, my body is all fucked up.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #101 on: July 27, 2007, 10:51:16 PM

Coffee helps when I have a headache.  I used to drink a lot of coffee, like a couple pots a day at least.  Now I drink a couple of cups in the morning and once in a blue moon, a cup after dinner.  A cup of coffee and a ciggie on the patio after dinner was one of my favourite times of day.  Coffee and cigs enhance each other.  Anyway, one of the off times I'll drink coffee is when I get a headache.  It's better than morphine percoset reefer an aspirin.   cheesy

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #102 on: July 29, 2007, 01:33:07 PM

Coffee helps when I have a headache.  I used to drink a lot of coffee, like a couple pots a day at least.  Now I drink a couple of cups in the morning and once in a blue moon, a cup after dinner.  A cup of coffee and a ciggie on the patio after dinner was one of my favourite times of day.  Coffee and cigs enhance each other.  Anyway, one of the off times I'll drink coffee is when I get a headache.  It's better than morphine percoset reefer an aspirin.   cheesy

Dennis Leary truly put it best. Coffee was invented by smokers who wanted something they could drink so they could stay up and fucking smoke MORE.

Cigarettes and coffee = <3.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #103 on: July 30, 2007, 07:54:12 PM

Ok, while the bed and sleep discussion is fascinating and all...

Oh, wait.  I have to add something to it first....

I also have CK Home linens.  CK is very popular in Korea.  Mentioning that your SHEETS are CK can actually improve your interpersonal relationship probabilities.  (In previous-job-speak:  helps you get your fuck on).

Ok, right.

Beds and sleep are great, but to get somewhat back on the original kind of topic thingy...

I always thought OOKII was a woman.  I'm not sure why.

That is all.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #104 on: July 30, 2007, 09:03:09 PM

It is because he is so dainty.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Morph-ball Acquired  
Jump to: