Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:46:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Charges to be dropped against Kobe. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Charges to be dropped against Kobe.  (Read 8382 times)
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 02, 2004, 08:50:15 AM

I don't know, as another law-talking-guy (who has never touched a criminal case with a 10 foot pole, so my knowledge here is not much different than any non law talking guy) I was pretty shocked by the content of his statement.  I expected something more along the lines of "I just want to thank Jesus that justice was served, I have said all along that I was entirely innocent of any crime, and now that position has been vindicated by this great country's legal system, my family can begin the long and painful healing process" rather than the "I don't think I did it but I can see how she thinks that I did it" mish-mash that came out yesterday.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36 on: September 02, 2004, 08:52:46 AM

My guess is that this statement was written by HER lawyer (excpet for the very end about it not being admissible in the civil case which was added by his lawyer) and was the quid pro quo (unofficially wink, wink) for her to dump the criminal case with a quasi-off-the-record-easily-deniable-because-it-would-be-illegal agreement to settle the civil suit for a chunk of cash.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 02, 2004, 08:57:11 AM

That sounds pretty likely.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 02, 2004, 09:18:41 AM

When I got accused of sexual harassment in college and got talked to by the Dean, I at first tried to protest my innocence but she was disinclined to believe me.  I eventually adopted a different tack, saying how I was young and realize now that different people could interpret the same thing in different ways and maybe she did think I was harassing her even though that was not my intent, etc. etc.  I denied all of the specific allegations the crazy girl made about me but left open the possibility that my behavior may have nevertheless been misinterpreted by her.

My point is not to make this thread about me, but simply to say I can understand what Kobe did as I've been in a similar position and resulted to a similar statement myself in order to satisfy others.

Bruce
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39 on: September 02, 2004, 09:57:30 AM

All I have to say about that is that if I can manage to not comment on what Bruce just said, the rest of you monkey fuckers better do the same.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #40 on: September 02, 2004, 10:53:44 AM

Quote from: SirBruce
My point is not to make this thread about me, but simply to say I can understand what Kobe did as I've been in a similar position and resulted to a similar statement myself in order to satisfy others.

Harassing is not the same as rape. I can understand that you want to empathize with Kobe but what you did or did not do does not really compare with what Kobe did or did not do.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 02, 2004, 11:25:52 AM

Well, the complaint also alledged what was essentially assault, but you're right, it's not rape.  And it wasn't a criminal charge, either.  Nevertheless, it compares to the Kobe situation if you apply some thought to it and don't think all comparisons have to be equal to be valid.

Bruce
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Charges to be dropped against Kobe.  
Jump to: