Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:46:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: I10 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I10  (Read 18808 times)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

on: June 13, 2007, 01:00:45 PM

I hope this is like the end of beta event.  It was a lot of fun, despite the lag.

Oh, and it's already on the Test server for closed beta testing.  That's certainly a fast turnaround from I9 to I10.

Over and out.
Horik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 02:36:20 PM

Reading up on it, this looks like it's gonna be a blast. I hope the World Event part of it is done well.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 07:33:49 PM

Ok, that's worth a resub. Yea.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 08:49:33 PM

Yep, looks like a good issue.

Other things mentioned in the revised Rikti information included a space station and a moon base - a moon base zone has been rumoured for a while.

It looks like the lvl 35 - 50 content gap is going to be getting a lot of new materials for people to play with.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 09:02:03 PM

Yep, looks like a good issue.

Other things mentioned in the revised Rikti information included a space station and a moon base - a moon base zone has been rumoured for a while.

It looks like the lvl 35 - 50 content gap is going to be getting a lot of new materials for people to play with.

Which is good because 35 is about where I stop playing my characters.  That's when the grind kind of hits me and I run off and make an alt. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 10:31:37 PM

I'd been thinking recently of killing my WoW sup to play CoH again... this might make it worth while...

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 10:35:45 PM

With everyone screaming to lessen the grind, I'm shocked they aren't increasing experience gain. I'm about to quit again after hitting the mid 30s wall.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 12:55:55 AM

Heh, well.  Nice of them to have the double-exp weekend before this; my warshade needs the boost to have a prayer of hitting 35 before this arrives.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 07:42:26 AM

Oh hells yes. If it's anything like the end of beta for CoH it's gonna be a blast. That was the most insane thing I've ever seen. And the neat thing was that the event started in the outer higher level zones and eventually reached Galaxy and Atlas. I think I have one toon at 34. Got to get her level up. Villain no less. Maybe I can team up with the Rikti  :-D

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 09:38:43 AM

Traitor.  They want us all dead and don't care about our earthly allegiences.

I'd been thinking recently of killing my WoW sup to play CoH again... this might make it worth while...
I have been, too. 

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 02:34:23 AM

With everyone screaming to lessen the grind, I'm shocked they aren't increasing experience gain. I'm about to quit again after hitting the mid 30s wall.

People only scream about the grind on this board, actual CoX subscribers don't complain about it much on the offcial boards. They just roll another alt.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 02:55:39 AM

People only scream about the grind on this board, actual CoX subscribers don't complain about it much on the offcial boards. They just roll another alt.
Though given the massive increases in people playing during double exp weekends their actions speak louder than words.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 08:20:07 PM

I'm not going to scream, I'm just going to cancel. Again. <shrug>
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 10:29:01 PM

They don't complain about grind in vanguard much on the vanguard boards either.  Eerie coincidence. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 07:16:32 AM

i don't scream. i just don't see the point of sticking around past 20 which is what 10 day trial got me to, without the double exp weekend.
The carrot and stick is just not right, and the repetition pattern is too frequent. Same tiles, same mob setups, just different mob abilities = dull too fast.
The people who rolled alts probably have their SG friends power levelling their alts, so they just enter a mission door, sit there and get their powers, have fun, bored and repeat. I hit 50 once, from 45-50 I got PUG group that wanted me to just sit at the mish lobby and do nothing, even if I wanted to do something I couldn't I'd just get ripped to shreds with all that massive mob clutter that Fire/Kintrollers just raped over and over. 

the power growth curve is also confusing, early game, you have so much to pick from 1-20 and the game paces itself great, but when you hit 4 attack powers and forced to pick passives at 20+ just to keep up with the endurance, I don't see the point. I run in close to my opponent, cycle through my 4-5 attack powers, pop a blue and that's that. It's not worth playing for a month. I rather just roll up Marvel Ultimate Alliance for my superhero fix.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 09:44:40 AM

The people who rolled alts probably have their SG friends power levelling their alts, so they just enter a mission door, sit there and get their powers, have fun, bored and repeat.

This is extremely rare on both of the servers on which I played.  People did it with Kheldians when they were new, otherwise you really don't see it.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 04:02:36 PM

Traitor.  They want us all dead and don't care about our earthly allegiences.

Eh, I'm a Necro MM so I'll be in good company.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 12:11:44 PM

Carry on then.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 02:21:19 PM

Beta was opened to the public today.

Over and out.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 05:43:56 PM

Oh good.  Hopefully there will be enough people now for me to hide behind!

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 06:25:39 PM

Wow that Rikti Invasion thing is just crazy. There's a big battle going on right now on Talos Island by the train station for those that are around right now.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 08:53:33 PM

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 08:34:44 PM

With more info releases - I10 seems like a very good issue, with some good additions to end game content.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 02:18:26 PM

You can download the I10 content now.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 09:10:25 AM

They don't complain about grind in vanguard much on the vanguard boards either.  Eerie coincidence. 

Long time CoH subscribers have a friends network large enough to put power level groups together for their alts that can speed up exp gain insanely. I played bridge in a couple of obviously friends only groups while my char was 45-48. Unfortunately the demand drops off when you hit 49 or so. I was actually enjoying the loot and exp gain while sitting watching a movie.

Basically you just need a fire controller or 2 and a blaster, defender and tank and everyone else is along for the ride. I've seen good groups clear a zone of L51 mobs with only 4 ppl actually fighting.

AngryGumball
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 01:55:12 PM

Long time CoH subscribers have a friends network large enough to put power level groups together for their alts that can speed up exp gain insanely. I played bridge in a couple of obviously friends only groups while my char was 45-48. Unfortunately the demand drops off when you hit 49 or so. I was actually enjoying the loot and exp gain while sitting watching a movie.

Basically you just need a fire controller or 2 and a blaster, defender and tank and everyone else is along for the ride. I've seen good groups clear a zone of L51 mobs with only 4 ppl actually fighting.

Dosen't that tell you that the game dosen't scale well for a balanced exerpience through the entire game?

Should it make you happy that something like that can happen with 4 players taking on entire zone of L51mobs.

Or should you simply sit there and say its fine everything is normal no one raise a red flag.

At what point do you get disappointed in "is this all their is to this game" attitude.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 23, 2007, 09:36:49 PM

Dosen't that tell you that the game dosen't scale well for a balanced exerpience through the entire game?

Yep

Should it make you happy that something like that can happen with 4 players taking on entire zone of L51mobs.\

Are you trying to say that you're unhappy? Why are you unhappy? Does it displease you that people can abuse the game mechanics?
I believe (and this is only my opinion) that CoH players only pull stunts like this once they've been playing for a while (like, years), have explored as many of the character archetypes as they care to, and have learned that yes, there are certain combinations of powersets that combine into highly efficient mob-clearing machines.

That, combined with the sidekicking mechanism, lets people level up new toons much faster than they would by "normal" leveling.

Or should you simply sit there and say its fine everything is normal no one raise a red flag.

On this particular topic, the red flag has been raised. It's been whipping in the wind so long, it's starting to tatter. Welcome to two years ago.

At what point do you get disappointed in "is this all their is to this game" attitude.

And now, welcome to F13. I think that if you peruse the City of Heroes forum, you'll find that your complaints, if that's what they are, are not new.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 08:41:02 AM

Seems to be up.  I have a nice leather skirt with camo cargo trousers under.  I look tough.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 11:15:26 AM

Yep - I10 is up. The first zone raids by the Rikti have already happened. The Rikti War Zone is lagging very badly at this point. Not d/c badly, just swimming through molasses badly.

Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 24, 2007, 03:48:08 PM

Three instances of the War Zone were up and all were pretty lagarific. Was nice to appear as a villain here and tease the heroes standing about near Lady Grey.

Electric armor brutes own neo-Rikti hardcore. That is all.

And, lastly, the servers were brought down a couple of minutes ago. Not sure why yet, but there it is.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #30 on: July 24, 2007, 04:11:33 PM

All servers are currently down.

Edit: and they are back up
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 04:24:04 PM by Trippy »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 05:44:10 PM

Played for a couple of hours and didn't get any Invasion messages so now I'm wondering if they temporarily turned that off.

Edit: nope, not turned off
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 07:32:59 PM by Trippy »
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 25, 2007, 07:04:14 PM

Played for a couple of hours and didn't get any Invasion messages so now I'm wondering if they temporarily turned that off.

Edit: nope, not turned off
They're starting to hit two zones at once per side now. It's pretty cool - the sky goes dark, the War Walls blink out (where applicable) and a convoy shoots through the air, blasting anything foolish enough to be on the rooftops with lasers and dropping bombs. Some land without going boom and you have to break through the casing while Giant Monster Code Rikti beam down and stop you, occasionally with the new assault craft.

The Rikti aren't actually giant monsters except for one special boss in the War Zone - when they invade a city zone they just con even with whatever hero is hitting them, and deal and take damage appropriately.

The new Rikti bunkers are frickin' sweet, and all the Rikti have had comprehensive armor redesigns.

The task force is pretty short, maybe two hours with a good group, and while most of the maps follow the same theme that theme is "office building/lab/sewer turns into tunnel turns into Rikti bunker", which doesn't exactly get old quick.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #33 on: July 25, 2007, 07:42:24 PM

In case you were wondering, there's a +psi defense accolade you can get -- separate badges for 25 bombs, 10 of those elite boss floating war thingies, and 100 rikti. It shouldn't take more than 2-3 zone defenses to get them all. They come in bombing, follow the transports and hunt and destroy unexploded bombs that drop. Then, once the transports leave, they teleport down units on top of players in the zone for about 10m, the more players around the stronger the units. Generally there's a large defense battle near the trams with 20-30 heroes. The hardest part, if you can call it that, is finding and killing the unexploded bombs.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 26, 2007, 01:11:30 PM

How much Psi defence?  Any is nice, since I absolutely hate Psi on my Tank, but I'm curious.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: I10  
Jump to: