Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:23:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: LoTRo an EQ clone, not a WoW clone 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: LoTRo an EQ clone, not a WoW clone  (Read 11537 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 18, 2007, 07:31:31 PM

I proceeded to politely explain him that LotRO isn't a game where your class is finished at level 20 and you just add upgrades to your existing abilities, but a dfferent kind of mmorpg where your char aquires diferent capabilities on his/her path from lev 1 to 50. And that yes, the minstrel can res in combat, but he/she has to wait until level 41 to get the chance of acquiring such a skill.
To quibble, because I feel like it :) All MMORPGs add new character abilities at later levels. The frequency of getting them slows down of course, but I can't think of an MMO where one's very last new ability is acquired merely 2/5 through the game. And if you say "Game X at launch", I'll throw LoTRO right back at ya ;)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 18, 2007, 09:08:58 PM

Ah, silly me.

There is a trait available at level 30 whereup, after casting "tend the sick" 300 times (with, I'd guess a 50-per-day limit like the 40-per-day 250 cast "Healer" trait has) both Tend the Sick and Leechcraft become castable in combat (Tend the Sick already was) and work on the entire fellowship simultaneously (which is actually quite nice).

Only my inexperience with the game had blinded me to the fact that Loremasters were supposed to be useful to groups (after level 30 and only if they equip a specific trait). Now I see they are truly balanced with such classes so eagerly in need of buffs as the Champion, Guardian, and Hunter.

It's really too bad that this increase in Loremaster power had to hit tanks so hard. I shudder to imagine what horrors future LM buffs will unleash upon the happier classes.

It's not that uncommon to have a few specific class traits that are pretty much required.  For the Captain,  you'd have to be an idiot to not have the traits that decress shout time recycle (dps is basically dependent on using the follow up styles after your shout) and massively bump Last Stand equipped (equipt? Help me grammar snake).  Not to mention the Herald stengthening traits.

I like the fact that character progression isn't strictly based on what level you are.  The traits and deeds from various off the wall activities increase the amount of specialization you can accomplish.  It also helps to mitigate the "go out and grind the mob with the highest min/maxed xp reward" or "grind quests for max level".

gravdiggr
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 19, 2007, 12:33:13 PM

Ah, silly me.

There is a trait available at level 30 whereup, after casting "tend the sick" 300 times (with, I'd guess a 50-per-day limit like the 40-per-day 250 cast "Healer" trait has) both Tend the Sick and Leechcraft become castable in combat (Tend the Sick already was) and work on the entire fellowship simultaneously (which is actually quite nice).

Only my inexperience with the game had blinded me to the fact that Loremasters were supposed to be useful to groups (after level 30 and only if they equip a specific trait). Now I see they are truly balanced with such classes so eagerly in need of buffs as the Champion, Guardian, and Hunter.

It's really too bad that this increase in Loremaster power had to hit tanks so hard. I shudder to imagine what horrors future LM buffs will unleash upon the happier classes.

Don't get me wrong, the loremaster is the crappiest class in game. All i'm saying is that they made one of its skill potentially necessary for end game fights (which is usually the way they balance raid play by giving every class 1 role/skill that is necessary)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: LoTRo an EQ clone, not a WoW clone  
Jump to: