Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:22:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Godmotherfuckingdammit 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Godmotherfuckingdammit  (Read 38244 times)
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007, 07:12:58 AM

I understand the frustration, no matter how "useless" we deem the title to be, angry.bob was working through to get that title.....and was cheated out by some bug.  You can call it a "pussy" title, but we all play MMOs for different reasons. That is the beauty of it.  To quit however, still seems a bit drastic..but I totally understand the frustration.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 07, 2007, 09:40:21 AM

I understand the frustration, no matter how "useless" we deem the title to be, angry.bob was working through to get that title.....and was cheated out by some bug.  You can call it a "pussy" title, but we all play MMOs for different reasons. That is the beauty of it.  To quit however, still seems a bit drastic..but I totally understand the frustration.

I understand the frustration. I even tried to get the title. Then I died. Said "well fuck!" and kept playing.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 07, 2007, 10:33:13 AM

I lost my chance at the title last night at level 11, after killing a bandit, and having it continue shooting me.   I was bummed, but it only took a couple hours to get there, so it's not as if I couldn't start over.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 07, 2007, 11:01:07 AM

Yup, was planning on trying it myself.  That is unil I encountered that quest in the shire under the willow tree in which you have to fight off bees and bears.  The quest was completely underconned, or should have required a small group.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 07, 2007, 11:20:16 AM

Yup, was planning on trying it myself.  That is unil I encountered that quest in the shire under the willow tree in which you have to fight off bees and bears.  The quest was completely underconned, or should have required a small group.

I saw a dev posting where they were going to review some of the quests to make sure they correctly indicated small group.   I remember I got the level 8 or so before my first death, I thought about starting an alt just to try getting the title but the play style needed to reach it is just completely alien to me.  You know I'd like to see a title for sacrificing yourself trying to save group mates who run around in circles screaming when they draw agro.  Good Lord how hard is it to remember RUN TO THE TANK AND STOP WHEN YOU DRAW AGGRO (in caps because caps make it so or so I've been told.)
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 07, 2007, 12:52:13 PM

I lost my chance at the title last night at level 11, after killing a bandit, and having it continue shooting me.   I was bummed, but it only took a couple hours to get there, so it's not as if I couldn't start over.

What kills me a lot in early levels is #*(&(&$ runners running off to other groups and agroing them when I try to stop them. Why the hell have run away code in the game when not one class gets any sort of snare spell at all. That's just mean.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 07, 2007, 12:54:44 PM

What kills me a lot in early levels is #*(&(&$ runners running off to other groups and agroing them when I try to stop them. Why the hell have run away code in the game when not one class gets any sort of snare spell at all. That's just mean.

Burglars get snare. 25% reduction.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 07, 2007, 01:00:01 PM

Someone needs to tell all the burglars I've grouped with then. On that subject, has anyone noticed LoTR seems to have found a whole new crop of newbie gamers or something? I've had some of the worst pickup groups since WoW in this game. It's really killing my enjoyment of the game when my book is full of group quests in the mid 20's and I can barely find a competant group to finish ahy.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #43 on: June 07, 2007, 01:07:39 PM

Hunters also have shots and stances + shots that give them a couple of run speed reductions as well. I don't know if they stack with the burglar snare ability, but it at least slows the runners down.

Granted, as a hunter, my main goal is to drop the damn mob before it gets to melee range, but sometimes you gotta go toe-to-toe.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Zedword
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 07, 2007, 01:08:57 PM

Someone needs to tell all the burglars I've grouped with then. On that subject, has anyone noticed LoTR seems to have found a whole new crop of newbie gamers or something? I've had some of the worst pickup groups since WoW in this game. It's really killing my enjoyment of the game when my book is full of group quests in the mid 20's and I can barely find a competant group to finish ahy.

Games whose main selling point is a particular IP or niche gaming market typically are flooded with more noobish players than a game whose main selling point is that it's a great game.

Worst example I ever experienced first hand was city of heroes at it's first release, flooded with comic fan bois with little to no game experience. I still remember them crying on the forums about why tankers, the class with the highest defense in the game, didn't also have ungodly damage output. People like me, would be like "doesn't it sound weird to you to have the class with the highest defense in the game also have the highest offense?" and then they would say something like "but omg, superman would totally kick daredevil's ass!"

I think you're experiencing the tolkien LARP crowd in LotRO.

--Zedword, considering taking his LotrO out of the packing finally.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 07, 2007, 02:24:45 PM

Maybe it varies by server? I'm on Landroval (RP nerd server) and the groups have been fantastic. Even with weird group makeups we're kicking ass for the most part. (by weird group makeups I mean groups without the holy trinity.) I killed the final boss in the Barrow downs with me (Champion), 3 hunters, and 2 minstrels for pete's sake.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 07, 2007, 05:15:40 PM

Hunters also have shots and stances + shots that give them a couple of run speed reductions as well. I don't know if they stack with the burglar snare ability, but it at least slows the runners down.

Granted, as a hunter, my main goal is to drop the damn mob before it gets to melee range, but sometimes you gotta go toe-to-toe.

FWIW, Loremaster's have a snare (slow attack and run speed) and a stun.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Hound
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 07, 2007, 08:01:19 PM

Maybe it varies by server? I'm on Landroval (RP nerd server) and the groups have been fantastic. Even with weird group makeups we're kicking ass for the most part. (by weird group makeups I mean groups without the holy trinity.) I killed the final boss in the Barrow downs with me (Champion), 3 hunters, and 2 minstrels for pete's sake.

Must vary with server On Silverlode tonight we had 2 minstrels, a lore master and a burglar in a pick up group and were taking on yellow con elites 2 at a time. Since release I have had one shiitty group where there was a pair of ninja looting assholes and I dropped them and mapped out just before they got to the boss mob in a instance, the moral being don't piss off the healer.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 02:36:31 AM by Hound »

Given the number of failures we've seen in MMORPGs, designers need to learn it's hard enough just to make a fun game without getting distracted by unnecessary drivel.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 08, 2007, 03:23:48 AM

Must vary with server On Silverlode tonight we had 2 minstrels, a lore master and a burglar in a pick up group and were taking on yellow con elites 2 at a time. Since release I have had one shiitty group where there was a pair of ninja looting assholes and I dropped them and mapped out just before they got to the boss mob in a instance, the moral being don't piss off the healer.

Must vary then. I'm on Nimrondel and damn if half the groups I get in have half the people not even reading group chat (and no they don't have voice chat on either), wandering around where ever their curiosity takes them and pulling agro back to the group. I had a group last night in Lonelands doing Our greatest find or whatever that quest is in the elite goblin area and we fucking failed it, after training ourselves repeatedly finally wiped the group.

I'm also really starting to hate elite mobs in this game. Outdoors low-20 elite mobs are worth maybe 20 xp more than normal mobs the same level and take three times the work to kill.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 08, 2007, 05:45:46 AM

Come play on Silverlode then with Toha and Trebo. We're both ~19ish and it would take you all of three days to get to group with us. Even better, if you play a leather user, I'm a master journeyman tailor (tier 2). I'll show you what a good burglar is all about.

tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 08, 2007, 07:24:35 AM

There is NO difference between having the title and not having it.

The difference is in future potential. Turbine could be stupid and add a quest that's available to only those with the title. MMOs evolve. It's a bad idea to not allow your character to evolve with them.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #51 on: June 08, 2007, 07:56:15 AM

The difference is in future potential. Turbine could be stupid and add a quest that's available to only those with the title. MMOs evolve. It's a bad idea to not allow your character to evolve with them.

Riiight. Well, if we're living in "Turbine could fuck up land," they could also auto-delete everyone WITH the title's characters. 

This does not evolve a character. It doesn't. It is not a trait that gives stat bonuses. It is text. That floats next to your head. 

Are you really that daft or are you just a contrarian asshat?

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 08, 2007, 08:04:14 AM

Going to have to agree with Slack here for sure. I have not found a way so far to fuck up your character beyond repair. You can waste your time grinding for Will traits when might/vitality will suit you better, but at least you're getting experience from the deed and you aren't forced to use the traits. Literally all you get is floaty text. I can't understand how the hell that makes your character worse.

I'd argue maybe 5% of the people on the game made it to twenty without dying. Plus, there are cooler titles to be had. Slug Squasher is way cooler than Undefeated anyway.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #53 on: June 08, 2007, 08:06:26 AM

Shire Brewmaster > Undying or Undefeated or whatever.

Beer > epeen

lesion

Reply #54 on: June 08, 2007, 08:09:41 AM

I'd argue maybe 5% of the people on the game made it to twenty without dying.
motivation? in MY vagina?

steam|a grue \[T]/
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 08, 2007, 08:10:33 AM

I don't get it. What are you trying to say here? ><

lesion

Reply #56 on: June 08, 2007, 08:16:19 AM

nothing, I just wanted to reference centipedes

I was going to back up angry.bob but I am way too late for that, so.

steam|a grue \[T]/
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 08, 2007, 08:19:13 AM

I don't know, I don't think there really is a defence to quitting your subscription simply because you didn't get a title. It doesn't take a lifetime to get to twenty in this game, so I don't think deleting and starting over is too traumatic.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #58 on: June 08, 2007, 08:24:10 AM

Does it have a monologue?

Blatantly stolen from Woopie.

"Me am play gods"
lesion

Reply #59 on: June 08, 2007, 08:32:38 AM

I don't know, I don't think there really is a defence to quitting your subscription simply because you didn't get a title. It doesn't take a lifetime to get to twenty in this game, so I don't think deleting and starting over is too traumatic.
if angry.bob set his heart on getting the title and slow death by rubberbanding denied the ability to achieve that goal when he was so close, I will posit that it is perfectly acceptable for one as angry as bob to not continue paying for something subjectively deemed "not fun"

steam|a grue \[T]/
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 08, 2007, 08:40:28 AM

if angry.bob set his heart on getting the title and slow death by rubberbanding denied the ability to achieve that goal when he was so close, I will posit that it is perfectly acceptable for one as angry as bob to not continue paying for something subjectively deemed "not fun"

Fair enough. I still think it's stupid. My vagina is angry.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 08, 2007, 08:41:55 AM

Well..he IS named angry bob after all

tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 08, 2007, 03:51:48 PM

This does not evolve a character. It doesn't. It is not a trait that gives stat bonuses. It is text. That floats next to your head. 

Yeah, and stats are just bits in some database. So what?

"These stone tablets I got, they tell which bits are important. The rest are insignificant!" That about sums it up.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 08, 2007, 04:00:19 PM

Death is so meaningless in LOTRO, I use it for travel. They need a 'Sir Dies a Lot' title.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 08, 2007, 04:20:48 PM

Death is so meaningless in LOTRO, I use it for travel. They need a 'Sir Dies a Lot' title.

I believe that would be "the White".
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #65 on: June 08, 2007, 05:11:00 PM

Yeah, and stats are just bits in some database. So what?

"These stone tablets I got, they tell which bits are important. The rest are insignificant!" That about sums it up.

Well, the difference is that the game design and code pretty much dictate which bits are important. Titles are fluffy, fuzzy things that people like to cuddle and squeeze and call George.  I am quite proud of my Shire Brewmaster title. However, it provides no in-game benefit. I just think that describing lack of what is at best a nostalgic/emotional reward as gimping a character is utterly moronic and obtuse.

See, stats are different because, you know, they impart an actual in-game benefit. The code and design make them important. The function of titles is purely nifty and therefore is not as key as the function of a stat or trait or whatever.

tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 09, 2007, 03:26:01 AM

MMOs are about growing your e-peen, right? We can argue whether your e-peen is not worse off aesthetically if you don't get the title. We can't argue whether an MMO where your e-peen growth in certain direction can be stumped permanently is not worse than a one where your growth can only be stumped temporarily; the latter is objectively better.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #67 on: June 09, 2007, 06:53:30 AM

MMOs are about growing your e-peen, right? We can argue whether your e-peen is not worse off aesthetically if you don't get the title. We can't argue whether an MMO where your e-peen growth in certain direction can be stumped permanently is not worse than a one where your growth can only be stumped temporarily; the latter is objectively better.

I disagree with your central premise as to the point of MMOs.

tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: June 09, 2007, 12:34:29 PM

Well now, that doesn't bode well for my point, then.  evil
Rithrin
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 09, 2007, 03:35:20 PM

What I find amusing is that everyone has dozens and dozens of titles. Titles aren't unique or special anymore. In fact, its near impossible to read individual titles when everyone is bunched up in the auction hall or in some dungeon. Even if someone does get the No Death Till Level 20 title, no one is going to notice it.

The sweetest wine comes from the grapes of victory.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Godmotherfuckingdammit  
Jump to: