Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:25:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: KOTNR - The Perfect SW MMO, An Examination 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: KOTNR - The Perfect SW MMO, An Examination  (Read 26144 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #70 on: June 06, 2007, 02:08:58 AM

I got no problem with RPers.  I'm an RPer.  More often than not, I'm a bad guy.  I trick noobs into coming up in space in my YT and then blow them out the airlock.   I'll triple incap you just to make you squirm.  I'm the bounty hunter that watches you duel then deathblows you without breaking a sweat to collect your bounty.  I'm the smuggler that steals your stuff and sells it elsewhere for more money.  I'll shoot your engines out to disable your ship and leave you stranded like a deer that just got hit by a truck.

And here I thought that people who do that kind of thing in MMO's were just being complete dicks.  Apparently you're all just RPing complete dicks, and thus it's completely ok.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: June 06, 2007, 07:33:50 AM

Yeah, pretty much.  Every game needs proper (player) villians.

God (or whatever in game diety you* subscribe to) help you if you're on the other side.  It's what makes it interesting. 

Though if you're a friend / guildy, I'll bend over backwards to try to help you - whether it's leveling, equipment, or money.

*you = people in general
CaptBewil
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: June 06, 2007, 10:29:18 AM

That's what I like about my game design, it doesn't restrict what players can Do (even if it may influence how they do it one way or the other).  If you want to be a complete dick, go ahead!  Have fun and enjoy it.  BUT, don't whine when a Bounty Hunter drops you to the ground and as you're taking your last breath, he throws a note at you and says "Here!  My client left this message for you."  You read the note and it says, "Thanks for blowing me out that airlock, dickhead!  PS, give my regards to Hitler."
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: June 06, 2007, 11:22:59 AM

So, like, premium content, $45 per month, you can play Jedi, regular account, $15 per month, no can, and then balance their powers out anyway?

Or, option 2, sprinkle weak force powers through every class, and if the player wants to bring focus to their force side, they can join the Jedi Order or a Sith Master for training, but in the process give up the free will "do whatever you please" gameplay, because they'll either be restricted by the strict Jedi code or be a Sith's slave / peon.  And I mean, day in, day out, obey the quests and answer the calls or be punished.  Then throw in cool stuff like, if you fail a quest you get force-choked as punishment (permadeath) as a Sith, and / or Force-drained as a Jedi and moved to Dantooine to function as a farmer.
CaptBewil
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: June 07, 2007, 05:03:09 AM

Or, option 2, sprinkle weak force powers through every class, and if the player wants to bring focus to their force side, they can join the Jedi Order or a Sith Master for training, but in the process give up the free will "do whatever you please" gameplay, because they'll either be restricted by the strict Jedi code or be a Sith's slave / peon.  And I mean, day in, day out, obey the quests and answer the calls or be punished.  Then throw in cool stuff like, if you fail a quest you get force-choked as punishment (permadeath) as a Sith, and / or Force-drained as a Jedi and moved to Dantooine to function as a farmer.

Sort of.  In my design, they can still "Do whatever they want".  They can also stop anywhere in the process before reaching Knighthood.  The trade off for Jedi powers, is that you don't get the bonuses you would have with specializing in a profession.

My expectations, is that a highly skilled, self-trained BH, could still take down a Jedi Knight if they caught them off guard.  So, Jedi would only be an "Alpha" class so long as they weren't /afk in a bad place or busy typing a message to their friends.  Living as a Jedi will be fun from a game-play aspect, but will suck during player dowtime because they'll be constantly looking over their shoulders...
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #75 on: June 07, 2007, 11:15:57 AM

GENERAL OVERVIEW

The prinCiples beHind this idea were to find ways to redUce developmeNt coding time so that more time could be spent on artwork driven content.  AdditionaLly, great care has been taken to establIsh a new system of character development and professions that are always balanced with respect to the choices a player makes.  It is beyond the scope of this text to establish the intricate relationships between every one of the various systems in place in the game.  One must take a step back and try to visualize the evolution of a character given the current restrictions.  It is also improper for one to assume a restriction exists without an explicit statement of such restriction being listed.

GUYS HOLY SHIT

I FOUND THE SECRET MESSAGE

BIOWARE'S NEW MMO IS TOTALLY A STREET FIGHTER MMO

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
CaptBewil
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: June 07, 2007, 12:41:51 PM

Aww, darn.  I thought it would take someone longer then that to figure it out. :(
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #77 on: June 08, 2007, 10:36:43 PM

GUYS HOLY SHIT

I FOUND THE SECRET MESSAGE

BIOWARE'S NEW MMO IS TOTALLY A STREET FIGHTER MMO

I literally lol'd.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: KOTNR - The Perfect SW MMO, An Examination  
Jump to: