Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2024, 09:08:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: I really wish they'd charge more for Live 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I really wish they'd charge more for Live  (Read 1876 times)
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

on: February 12, 2007, 04:26:00 PM

The prevalence of kids on Live is getting out of control.  I can't tell you how many times I've been disappointed this weekend jumping into a game to hear some 12 year old's voice on the other end of the connection.  Damn, it makes me just want to exit out right then and there, and I usually will find an excuse to leave.

Why in the hell doesn't MS create a "geezer" gamer zone?  Or failing that bump up the subscription rate to something like $200 a year to keep these fucking children away from me.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 04:28:13 PM

This is Gold you're talking about?

[EDIT]

Err....Or does Gold and Silver make that big of a difference on who gets to play what?
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 04:34:45 PM

Err....Or does Gold and Silver make that big of a difference on who gets to play what?

Gold is the paid service, and you can only play online with that package.  Silver is free, but you can still hit up the marketplace for Arcade games, movies, addons, what-have-you, just no online play.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 07:17:41 PM

When I was playing EQ and AO, I bought this speakerphone at Wal*Mart for $20.  I'd call up my friend and we'd jibba-jabba handsfreelike while camping orcs and pretending to be women so Taiwanese would give us phat lewt.  Good times.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 12:38:49 AM

The prevalence of kids on Live is getting out of control.  I can't tell you how many times I've been disappointed this weekend jumping into a game to hear some 12 year old's voice on the other end of the connection.  Damn, it makes me just want to exit out right then and there, and I usually will find an excuse to leave.

Why in the hell doesn't MS create a "geezer" gamer zone?  Or failing that bump up the subscription rate to something like $200 a year to keep these fucking children away from me.

Bungie at least seems to feel your pain.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 03:19:30 AM

I'd wish somebody would explain how it wasn't a feature from day one, for every live-enabled game.  I've been muting dipshitted assfucks in online games forever now on my PC.  Not trying to be snarky, just curious how people have survived live this long without it.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 03:33:22 AM

If you start cursing and dropping racial slurs very loudly, I imagine the parents might come in, wondering what is going on while little Bobby is playing that M-rated game.

I imagine you could get a couple of laughs out of it.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 03:43:28 AM

I'll admit it, I'm a trashtalking dick on Xbox live. But at least I try to be funny. Doesn't really matter if I'm winning or losing. One time in Lost Planet, I went into a game with a friend, and kept interrupting people with a bad joke. And it's not a short one either. And whenever someone would try to talk I'd yell at them to wait their turn. I kept playing and telling the joke. The joke tooka bout 4 minutes. And then, right after I was done, Agnarth picked up the mic and told the same joke... even slower. It was good times.

Really, if you're playing ANY GAME less than cerebral (for example, Catan, Senko no Ronde (yep, coming out here), and Culdcept will not have annoying people playing past the first week or two), you can be damn sure everyone else playing is an idiot. AND you'd rather have me in there telling bad jokes. Culdcept will be unplayable online due to the strategy required to play and during those first two weeks, you can be damn sure 50-75% of the people who play online will ask what they do every step of the way.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 03:45:49 AM by schild »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 04:01:59 AM

I'll admit it, I'm a trashtalking dick on Xbox live. But at least I try to be funny. Doesn't really matter if I'm winning or losing. One time in Lost Planet, I went into a game with a friend, and kept interrupting people with a bad joke. And it's not a short one either. And whenever someone would try to talk I'd yell at them to wait their turn. I kept playing and telling the joke. The joke tooka bout 4 minutes. And then, right after I was done, Agnarth picked up the mic and told the same joke... even slower. It was good times.

You're right, Gulp, this thing is badly in need of a mute user function;  Some people just don't know what funny is.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 07:28:35 AM

Mute is a must, I'd take it one step further and require permissions to speak to any given player.  Generally I don't even enable voice chat when I play FPS, if I need to play with my guild I simply use restricted access vent server.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 10:52:17 AM

It's gotten to the point that when playing Madden '07 or CoD 3 online that I absolutely will NOT have my headset on whilst playing.  People talking just to hear themselves talk, extreme trash talkers, and whiny prebuscent brats make me want to pull my own ears off with vice grips and cauterize the bloody holes with zippo lighter. 

I'll talk a bit of smack while playing, but nothing out of hand; I keep it low key and respectable.

If there was an option to selectively mute people, I would be ecstatic.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 07:37:54 AM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 07:57:50 AM

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: I really wish they'd charge more for Live  
Jump to: