Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:57:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Apple considering wasting money to compete in the console market? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Apple considering wasting money to compete in the console market?  (Read 1520 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

on: September 28, 2006, 09:11:05 PM

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/sep2006/id20060926_563996.htm?campaign_id=rss_null

To answer the title of the artcle: No. Not ever. Not in a million years.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 09:35:38 PM

Who writes this shit?

Aaron Ruby.

Maybe him, Florian Eckhardt and Wagner-Au could have a steel cage match for the title of most annoying gaming journalist.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 09:37:46 PM by schild »
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 01:56:06 AM

I've read several versions of this and think it's hillarious. Apple is quite happy to have eaten Sony's lunch in the portable music player and distribution arena - they are nowhere near stupid enough to try and take MSoft, Sony and Nintendo on in a market where they have 0 penetration, no recognizable brand, a lack of third party support and that runs contrary to the very ingrained attachment they have to actually making a profit on the hardware they sell. Jobs is a smart fucking guy, he's not taking Apple down this path.

That said, they are interested in the media center portion of the business obviously, and as a side effect there will be products in the pipe that allow Mac faithful to game on their HDTV, wirelessly and without purchasing another Mac - but it won't be a 'console' it will be a Mac, running OS X or XP/Vista games (having just installed Vista on my Macbook Pro I can say that's a certainty.)

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 04:38:06 AM

Cold day in hell if that happens.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 05:18:46 AM

The Y-Box. (geddit?)

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 07:26:32 AM

(having just installed Vista on my Macbook Pro I can say that's a certainty.)

That'll be the only way they'll ever be able to sell the Mac as a "gaming" machine, by running it as a Windows box.

Umm, yay?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 07:43:36 AM

Hmm - apple make a console? Inconceivable!

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 08:08:08 AM

NDA

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 08:47:14 AM

as a side effect there will be products in the pipe that allow Mac faithful to game on their HDTV
Like...a DVI cable? Gaming on hdtv = not difficult. Gaming on non-hdtv = crappy :P

iTV is about Front Row.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 11:44:19 AM

That said, they are interested in the media center portion of the business obviously, and as a side effect there will be products in the pipe that allow Mac faithful to game on their HDTV, wirelessly and without purchasing another Mac

Actually I meant more that Apple will likely make it so that you can access many of your mac functions through iTv eventually without your Mac being anywhere near your TV. Hence the rest of the sentance? Hooking up a DVI cable is obviously not what I meant.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Apple considering wasting money to compete in the console market?  
Jump to: