Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 02:52:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: A Tale in the Desert, Tale 3 Beta 2 starting today, May 5th 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Tale in the Desert, Tale 3 Beta 2 starting today, May 5th  (Read 12280 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #35 on: May 07, 2006, 07:31:32 PM

I'm really enjoying this more than I enjoyed Tale 1 (didn't play Tale 2), and my hands don't hurt.  Still noobing along, so I don't know how to do much.  I heard that you can use macros as long as you are not afk?  Now that would be neat.
That's what I heard in chat a couple of days ago. As long as you can respond if a GM comes wandering around you can macro, or so they were saying. Though you do have to wonder about this game's gameplay when the first thing I heard when logging onto to the game for the first time is a bunch of people discussing macroing and how to get their slate gathering macros to work properly.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 09, 2006, 12:25:59 PM

You should always question the construct of a game where players would rather macro large portions of it than actually play.  This game is a great idea attached to a painful grind-fest.  I encourage you all to give it a try rather than take my word.  After a few days online, you'll see people writing macro scripts for 70% of in-game activities and using excel to solve optimization for everything from mushroom hunting to paint colors and recipes.   

The game does have the advantage of a relatively mature player base and some very intelligent people.  As long as you enjoy the social aspects of online gaming and don't mind reading books while playing, this game can be moderately interesting.  If you're looking for fun outside of the social/spreadsheet realm... I encourage you to play WoW or Puzzle Pirates.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Akkori
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 09, 2006, 03:06:45 PM

Well, there is no combat in the game, so by definition, the intelligence level of the players is much higher.

evil

Yes, you can macro by any means you wish, as long as you are there ATK. And yes, it does say something about the game when you not only have to research the game Wiki to learn how to do something, but also have to learn how to use one of those macro programs. I probably spent more time reading the Wiki than I did actually playing for the first couple weeks in T2. Its awesome that the level of complexity in the crafting mechanics is such that you need a college education (or more) to figure out efficient methods to create stuff.

The weak link is still the distribution of goods, and the lack of a World currency. It would also be nice to have "Farms" to replace the Offline tasks. I'd rather pay upkeep and such to enable a custom growth level for wood, flax, grass, veggies, etc...

And PLEASE make grass weigh less than and take up less space than friggin sand!!

I love the position : "You're not right until I can prove you wrong!"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38 on: May 09, 2006, 03:41:21 PM

Its awesome that the level of complexity in the crafting mechanics is such that you need a college education (or more) to figure out efficient methods to create stuff.

Difficulty in and of itself isn't necessarily indicative of depth; it can also be indicative of bad UI and/or documentation.  It's important not to confuse the two, much like it's important not to confuse gameplay with grind.  (Not saying that one or the other is applicable here, just saying be careful with that line of reasoning, because that way lies lots of catass.)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #39 on: May 09, 2006, 03:55:41 PM

Well, there is no combat in the game, so by definition, the intelligence level of the players is much higher.

evil

I understand it's a joke, but I still don't get it.

Because one game has a different presentation than another doesn't make it any more or less intelligent. Two games with completely different front ends could very well be the same basic game on the inside.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 10, 2006, 08:59:21 AM

I keep thinking that this game would really rock if it did have combat.

A mmog-civilization where you have to research technology to get it but then you can use it to crush opponents.

I think I'm missing the whole point of atitd.  I like the sort of crafty-grindy-relaxing thing of picking grass (now that I can use a key to hit) - it's akin to playing solitaire or doing sudoku but I can do it when my brain is tired - but the vast empty landscape ... I want more things there.  Preferably things I can kill, skin, and eat.

So that I can invade the other regions.

Why do I crave conflict?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #41 on: May 10, 2006, 09:24:34 AM

Teppy is a hippie.  That's why there is no combat.

"Me am play gods"
Akkori
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 10, 2006, 07:53:03 PM

Honestly, I think that adding combat would be cool. i dont have a problem with fighting in general. If its done well, at least. I know its a game, but I would like combat to be HARD. If you get shot, you DIE. Its why I liked the combat system in Shadowrun so well. You could be killed by a little hold-out or pen-knife if you got hit right. The DnD method and the one all MMO's use is dumb. Get chewed on by the 10-story tall dragon for 5 minutes and walk away whistling with vials of blood or scales or something.

I think Arena's and gladiator events would be awesome. It would be something to do along with all the other things.

But first.... VENDORS!!

I love the position : "You're not right until I can prove you wrong!"
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 11:55:43 PM

If you put combat in ATITD, then nobody would do crafting, and everybody would complain that the combat system sucks and crafters get too much love.

Teppy wants conflict, he wants strife, he wants competition and even outright griefing...just without swords and guns. In fact, if people get too warm-n-fuzzy cooperative, he'll make mule characters, get together with his GMs and other staff, and start griefing everybody. And he's reeeeal subtle about it too....

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #44 on: May 11, 2006, 08:26:13 AM

We have seen so much clever stuff from Teppy.  I am sure he could figure it out . But yes, a Diku clone wouldn't work.  But it's shame his game is limited to a handful of players; I would love to see what he could do with a real staff.

"Me am play gods"
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 11, 2006, 10:01:04 AM

I want to ride camels and carry a paintball gun. 

Explosives would be good too.

I'd like to be able to deface someone's guildhall "Xanthippe wuz here"

I slaughtered two sheep yesterday.  Not only was there no blood, there was no blamblam, there wasn't even a damned squeal from the sheep.  What a letdown.

Sheep need deathcries.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 11, 2006, 10:08:56 AM

Sheep need deathcries.

Xanthi i i i pe! Why y y y y!
We were so go o o o od together!
Baa aa aa aa a
aaahhhhhh

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #47 on: May 11, 2006, 10:21:39 AM

Warcraft 2 had some good sheep killin'.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 11, 2006, 11:33:52 AM

We have seen so much clever stuff from Teppy.  I am sure he could figure it out . But yes, a Diku clone wouldn't work.  But it's shame his game is limited to a handful of players; I would love to see what he could do with a real staff.

Well he apparently is doing the Alvin Maker game, which doesn't surprise me as OS Card is very careful about who he licenses to, and I think I saw that is going to have combat in it. I would guess that will have a larger playerbase than ATITD.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 24, 2006, 01:16:25 PM

Necro post!

I'm going to dabble in this game a bit with an old friend.  For those of you with a passing interest, the 3rd Telling starts at 12pm EDT on Saturday, May 27th.  If you're bored or have questions, feel free to /chat Nebu in game.  Also, /info Nebu will tell you if I'm on or not... funny how you can chat with people that aren't even on.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #50 on: May 24, 2006, 01:35:33 PM

I like that feature.  It makes chatting to myself more meaningful.  There are a few of us who will be also dabbling.  Me, Righ, Xanth, Slyfeind, among others...  some have even bought small pre-order packages.  In beta we settled in Fool's Paradise, which was a nice little area but woefully under-populated.  Hopefully, it won't be that way in release. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 24, 2006, 01:50:02 PM

I think I'm going to settle in CoTS.  It has a special meaning to me as I almost got banned in T1 for making my obelisk there when the area designer thought it was closed to the population. 

Look me up if you guys need anything.

-  Mark Twain
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 24, 2006, 02:51:27 PM

I will require a paintball gun forthwith.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: A Tale in the Desert, Tale 3 Beta 2 starting today, May 5th  
Jump to: