Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:06:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: True Fantasy Live Canceled 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: True Fantasy Live Canceled  (Read 5535 times)
schild
Administrator

on: June 03, 2004, 12:01:00 AM

Quote from: Gamespot
Microsoft Japan today announced the cancellation of True Fantasy Live Online, the promising massively multiplayer role-playing game for the Xbox that was first unveiled in 2002. The game was being developed by veteran developer Level 5, whose recent work has included the Dark Cloud franchise for the PlayStation 2.

They canceled a game with a unique art style (to MMO's at least) and some relatively interesting design docs so they can slim their portfolio to become a bigger hit in the MMO industry - which means, keeping Vanguard (an EQ clone...) and dumping everything else?

I'm sorry, will someone please shoot Brad McQuaid in the goddamn testicles? Right now, plz?
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 04:05:00 AM

Thats a shame.  I wish MS would hurry up and get some kind of online RPG to the XBox.  PSO isn't exactly cutting it.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 04:49:05 AM

Quote from: Mesozoic
Thats a shame.  I wish MS would hurry up and get some kind of online RPG to the XBox.  PSO isn't exactly cutting it.

Isn't Citizen Zero supposed to come out on the Xbox aswell?

Wiiiiii!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 06:25:13 AM

Apparently Level 5 is now looking into tweaking the game a little and  making it a launch title for the X-Box Next since at this point the X-box only has a couple of years left
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 08:23:28 AM

Quote from: schild
I'm sorry, will someone please shoot Brad McQuaid in the goddamn testicles? Right now, plz?

If it hasn't happened yet, with all the shit he's pulled, it ain't going to.

Not that I'm necessarily sorry to see this one go, but it does seem like Microsoft is putting all its MMOG eggs in one dumbass basket. But should they just decide to shitcan ALL their MMOG's, including Vangaurd, well, then I will LAUGH and LAUGH and LAUGH.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 11:43:00 AM

That game was delayed so many times, I suspect something was horribly wrong with it. Usually when games are delayed forever it means something is terribly wrong.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 11:44:26 AM

I suspect something was horribly wrong with it.

Do you mean in addition to McQuaid's involvement?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 11:48:16 AM

Quote from: Margalis
That game was delayed so many times, I suspect something was horribly wrong with it. Usually when games are delayed forever it means something is terribly wrong.

Half-Life 2
Duke Nukem Forever
Saga of Ryzom
...I don't want to go on, it's depressing.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 12:07:10 PM

Well, HL2 has only been delayed once for about a year.  It is hardly even noteworthy in the saga of long delayed games.  Actually HL2 (if it comes out this summer) will be delayed less than HL1 was delayed.  I remember seeing HL1 at gen con at least 2 years before it was finally released.  At that time they thought it was about 6 months from completion.  The difference is that there was not that much pre-release hl1 hype until far later.

As far as true fantasy I remember an article talking about it way back when the Xbox first launched that it was looking to be an xbox live launch title.  Now I suspect that is mostly just horrible journalism (I think it was an online mag on top of it), but the game has been out there with the same damn screenshots for a long time.

That said, fable has been in the public eye for just as long if not longer, and that game looks to be coming out.  Delays are just a sign that the game is not ready for release, not that it will never be or that it will be a bad game when it comes out.  And don't use diakatana as a counter example.  That game had its own problems (egomaniac at helm).
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 02:45:06 PM

Man, Duke Nukem Forever is going to ROCK when it comes out.

/sarcasm
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 03:19:01 PM

I can't really bemoan the loss of the game until I can be sure I lost what would have been quality gameplay.   Other than being able to ride on broomsticks and carriages I haven't heard of anything new they were planning on introducing to the wack-a-mole MMORPG genre.   Also, the graphic style looked somewhat candyland.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 03, 2004, 04:10:09 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
Not that I'm necessarily sorry to see this one go, but it does seem like Microsoft is putting all its MMOG eggs in one dumbass basket.

I really am beginning to wonder if Microsoft gives a rip about MMORPGs at this point. I doubt they see Vanguard as some juggernaut that'll own it all. Doesn't matter who's developing it. It's just another generic unbranded and unlicensed traditionally-themed game boasting nothing more than EQ 1.875 that's gonna be going up against branded and licensed titles with already existing strong ass followings.

Maybe they're just finding that it takes more work to support an MMOG than they really care to spend. And this from folks who know subscription/service models backwards and forwards (competence notwithstanding).
Riley
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 03, 2004, 11:27:02 PM

"True Fantasy Live Online," a multi-player online role-playing game, was expected to be the Xbox's answer to Square Enix Co. Ltd.'s  immensely popular online version of "Final Fantasy," only available for consoles on Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 2

Maybe they finally convinced Square Enix to do a port to XBox :)

I doubt it though, Square Enix and Sony seem to have an ironically good alliance.  Even though FFXI is a competing product and is putting EQ to shame, Sony has them as an exclusive PS product and Sony is even hosting their US FFXI servers.  And guess who is going to be hosting EQ2's Asian servers... Square Enix.

Does anyone know anything more about Square Enix at all?  Seems like they would actually be an interesting acquisition target for either Sony or Microsoft.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: June 03, 2004, 11:41:26 PM

Last I checked Final Fantasy ran on Windows, in fact it came out first on Windows.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 04, 2004, 08:30:00 AM

Last I checked Final Fantasy ran on Windows, in fact it came out first on Windows.

"Exclusive" in the realm of consoles means exclusive to a console. They couldn't care less about the PC market.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: June 04, 2004, 09:46:57 AM

Huh? I was working at Nintendo of America when FF came out on the original NES, circa 1989 or 1990. Was there some other PC version previous to that?  Or are you talking about some later version? I am still on my first cup of coffee, so forgive me if I am confused =)

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: June 04, 2004, 09:47:38 AM

Final Fantasy XI. ^_^
WayAbvPar

Reply #17 on: June 04, 2004, 09:48:48 AM

Final Fantasy XI. ^_^

Ahh ok. I figured I missed something along the way. Pretty sure that wouldn't run on the NES!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: True Fantasy Live Canceled  
Jump to: