Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 03:29:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Website Designers? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Website Designers?  (Read 2282 times)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

on: May 02, 2013, 08:42:19 PM

I will be launching a business in a couple weeks, and I am in need of some website design. I figured I'd ask here first. Will pay going rate. It's a pretty straight forward design. Please post here if you are interested, payment will be through Paypal. Thanks!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 01:01:30 AM

If nobody here jumps on this, my old roommate and his wife do this sort of thing, drop me a line if no F13ers jump on it and i'll pass you his info.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 07:39:30 AM

Do you need your website to do anything or just be a brochure? 

edit - Also, "design a website" means different things to different people. Do you need help with content as well?  Do you want to maintain it yourself once it is built? What industry?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 07:49:35 AM by Salamok »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:45:06 AM

Whatcha launching?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 08:30:35 AM

What Salamok said.  With a bit more information, it would be hard to determine if I could help or not.  I've done template customization (mostly graphics) and am fine with that sort of thing, but coding is out of my skillset (unless  you include figuring out where to move things on a WP template). 

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 09:08:12 AM

I am launching a Car sticker business.

I believe I can teach myself enough to maintain it, and have tools such as Dreamweaver CS6 (which is kinda overwhelming).

It would basically just need a professional looking layout

HOME - STICKERS - ABOUT - CONTACT US

Need a shopping cart. There are only 7 stickers at this time.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:12:44 AM by Slayerik »

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 09:36:05 AM

Now you are talking about an ecommerce site and it just became more than a brochure.  Also, if you use a CMS based site you probably won't need Dreamweaver or any other tool to maintain it.

edit - Looks like wordpress has an ecommerce plugin now, you may want to look into going that route.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:39:45 AM by Salamok »
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 09:40:41 AM

Honestly, at first I could just link to an eBay store or Amazon - and avoid the Shopping cart.

I basically just need something up within about 2 weeks.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 10:04:19 AM

BWAAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAAA.  why so serious?

Sorry, I'm used to laughing at someone when they give me a timeline like that in my job.

Salamok is right, if I were you, I'd go with a CMS like Wordpress, Joomla or DotNetNuke if you have any sort of knowledge. Buy a template/theme off the shelf, link to an Amazon/Ebay/Yahoo store so they can take care of the ecommerce part.

My wife does that sort of thing freelance as well. Not sure what her capacity is like at the moment.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 10:11:51 AM

Also, whenever someone has their first website built they always assume the "if I build it they will come" stance.  Once your site is up and running no one is going to visit it unless you actively drive traffic there.  Most clients just assume this is the web designers job and most web designers assume it is someone else's job.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 10:13:01 AM

Yeah, I deserve the mocking. I'm a pretty tech savvy guy, but I'm completely outta my fuckin element here. Figured two weeks for a barebones website wasn't that far outta the realm of possibility :P But, something that might seem like a simple job to me is probably quite a bit harder than that.

Luckily an old friend is taking pity on me, and throwing something together. Thanks Facebook!

I appreciate the advice from everyone, though!

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 10:15:35 AM

Another old friend does SEO for a living and is going to help with search engine visibility and optimization. Thanks again, Facebook!

I don't really expect the website to produce many sales at all. I am locally selling to tourist spots and selling at outdoor shows and whatnot. I just need someplace for people to go.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 11:11:09 AM

Slayeric, if you are thinking of really doing this as a business, may I recommend you get in touch with Chris at  http://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/pages/about-us.html and ask him what web authoring tools he uses. I say this because I have seen any number of small business vendors use this exact website layout/mechanice/commerce engine and it seems to work for them. chris at myfreedomsmokes.com is the email address to write to. He's pretty responsive, and may cough up the goods, especially if you let him know that the business you're in has nothing to do with anything he does, but just want some advice.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 11:42:22 AM

Why didn't you just use the "Help with a Graphic Thread" so we could continue with the humor part of this entire charade?
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 11:47:05 AM

You could do a merge for him no?
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 07:55:29 AM

I'd use something like Shopify or Volusion.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 12:04:10 PM

I can't help you but good luck with the new car sticker (is that like bumper stickers?) business.  Hope you make wads (not scorpion wads) of money!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 03:44:14 PM

Have you thought about using Etsy?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 09:27:57 PM

Looking into it now. Thanks

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Website Designers?  
Jump to: