Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 09:00:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Harlem? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harlem?  (Read 2397 times)
Boedha
Terracotta Army

on: February 19, 2010, 01:21:50 PM

Hey guys,

We're planning to stay a week in New York this Septembers, my mother booked our apartment, which in retrospect might not have been the best idea. I got the details this week and it seems to be in NY 10026, in other words, Harem. Since I watch way too many American movies, this tricked off my spidersense, and I did some research about how dangerous Harlem actually is today. Not that easy from Europe, and since the Internets is very inconclusive, I decided to turn to an slightly more reliable source: F13.

So, do any of you know how safe Harlem is? And how dangerous it would be for a bunch of European tourists?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:33:56 PM

It's definitely not the same Harlem that you've probably seen portrayed in movies and stuff any more.  I know they've done alot to try and clean it up and get most of it renovated.  But I haven't been to NYC in years.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:37:07 PM

From what I hear it's actually rather upscale now, but I could be totally wrong.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:57:06 PM

More white and Hispanic people supposedly live there now than black people, so the scenes of the 70's and 80's are not as valid anymore.  The neighborhood has definitely turned itself around a bit recently.  That said, someone who is local can probably give you a better idea of what the place you are staying at is like.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:19:49 PM

People who live in Harlem these days are there because they choose to be, not because they have no where else to go. The area has cleaned itself up now that the rents in Greenwich Village have escalated so much. It's a good location.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 04:57:29 PM

in other words, Harem.

Awesome!

Oh, you meant Harlem.

smiley

It's not like the movies show it. But then, the movies from 30 years ago were showing a very different Harlem then too. 50 years ago it was pretty upscale.

It's been bouncing back for a decade. Definitely nice areas. But it's sort of an oasis too. You don't want to be traveling too far afield except by cab.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 07:13:02 AM

I was disappointed in how not bad (read: interesting) it was.  You should be fine.  That isn't to say that the actually block/building you are talking about might be bad, that is always a possibility.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Boedha
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 07:29:07 AM

Thanks for your insights! My fears seem to have been largely unfounded.
We're staying at 118th street and 7th avenue, if anyone wants to give us more detailed information. My mother will probably contact our embassy in NY, just to be sure. Thanks everyone!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 09:05:54 AM

Hmm, looks a little post apoc these days.

wink

Couldn't resist. Jerking around with Bing Maps because of that TED presentation.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 09:05:39 PM

10026 is a large area. I figure you're somewhere between 110th and 116th on lenox or 7th. Find out the exact address and I'll let you know how nice or scary the area is.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 05:09:47 AM

10026 is a large area. I figure you're somewhere between 110th and 116th on lenox or 7th. Find out the exact address and I'll let you know how nice or scary the area is.

Thanks for your insights! My fears seem to have been largely unfounded.
We're staying at 118th street and 7th avenue, if anyone wants to give us more detailed information. My mother will probably contact our embassy in NY, just to be sure. Thanks everyone!
Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 05:54:17 AM

I don't care how nice you think the area is, it is still a place I would avoid at all costs at night.  Sure, Central Park North is swell, but North of 112th till about 124th is just asking for trouble. 

I am sure if you know Spanish you will be fine though.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 08:01:20 AM

Not on 7th Avenue. Spanish Harlem is further East. More West Africans around 7th.

118th isn't the greatest, but it's not horrible either.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 08:29:33 AM

Yeah, Spanish Harlem is due East of the park, but I thought there were more hispanics around 118.

Meh, next time a cabbie decides to fuck me over on my way to La Guardia I will take a more accurate survey.

No matter what, it is not Europe. 

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 08:43:05 AM

True. But then, the last time someone attempted to mug me, I was in Spain.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 07:32:37 PM

I hear it's a nice time of year in Barcelona for that.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Harlem?  
Jump to: