Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 09:47:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DAoC Adds Maps 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DAoC Adds Maps  (Read 2550 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: August 17, 2004, 01:40:29 PM

For those three of you who still care about DAoC, they just released a patch onto the test server with this bit of coolness:

Ingame Map System

With this version, the new ingame map system makes its debut. Players will be able to use these maps to help them navigate throughout their realm and frontier zones.

- To view the map window, type /map.

- The map window can show region and zone maps for those zones in the current region you are in (for example: if your character is in an SI zone, you will be able to see the SI region map and all SI zone maps). The maps are selectable through a drop down menu at the top of the map interface window.

- All maps have an indicator that shows your current location.

- Zone maps show major points of interest, horse stable merchants, horse routes, and terrain (mountains, lakes, etc).

- Each map has a zone description which can be turned on and off.

- You can also choose to "track" your location on the map by clicking the "Follow" button. When this is toggled, your map will change automatically when your location moves to another map (for example, when riding a horse from one zone to another).

- New Frontiers ocean zones are included in the ingame map system.

- City maps are not currently ready for testing. Placeholder maps are visible when attempting to use /map in a city area.

- Dungeon maps will not be available with the ingame map system.

I think that's pretty damn cool. I know EQ released XML style maps for their new interface, and dropping maps into DAoC would be a tremendous boon. Not to mention that they added the "free level" system into the test patch about 2 versions ago.

Full patch notes here.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 02:59:37 PM

Love the map idea... it's been a long time coming.  Also liked this:

Artifact Adjustments

- In order to ease some of the frustrations in finding monsters of the appropriate level and difficulty, all artifacts will now use one of six leveling requirements. Artifacts will be assigned to one of the following regions: mainland outdoors, mainland dungeons, Shrouded Isles outdoors, Shrouded Isles dungeons, Trials of Atlantis outdoors, or Trials of Atlantis dungeons. In addition, all artifacts can now earn experience from player versus player kills and from killing monsters in the Frontier zones (including Darkness Falls, Passage of Conflict, and Summoner's Hall).

No more pharming jinn, a welcome addition.  This stuff is still in testing on Pendragon.  Let's hope they don't screw it up by release.

BTW: Where are my free levels?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 05:10:32 PM

Actually today I canceled account and uninstalled.  For me personally, the fun ended after I hit 45.  The endgame (ML, arti's, RVR) just didn't seem to be able to interest me no matter how much I wanted it to.  Now I'm gonna go check out this new EQ2 info you people have been spewing over the past couple days and see if that piques my interest at all. =P
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 05:46:08 PM

Eh, for people playing in a realm they've been in for a while it's not really necessary, or even useful. For new people or the hordes of people teamjumping to the Albfag zerg it'll be handy for finding places to beg for gold.

A much better use for their time would have been working on ways to either boost up Hibernian and Midgard classes or nerf Scouts, infiltrators, Sorcerors, cabalists, reavers, and necros to the point where having half the total server population provides no advantages.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 12:39:41 AM

I think insta porting needs to go.  On merlin, it is nearly impossible to take an Alb keep unless it's 3 am otherwise 70 albs come running as fast as they can.
The only thing that was holding populations in check was sadly, Emain.  Now that it is gone, the realm with the most wins.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DAoC Adds Maps  
Jump to: