Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 06:28:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Military, Iraq, and you 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Military, Iraq, and you  (Read 1560 times)
Fargull
Contributor

on: January 24, 2006, 02:32:45 PM

Honestly not really sure if the topic fits, but wanted to share a little article.

Wake for Indian Warrior

Anyway, but for my mother, I would have been born at Ft. Yates on Standing Rock, as it is I was born in Moebridge, SD.  I left the hospital swathed in a star quilt given by good friends of my father.  I am not Indian.  I spent most of my formative years in Pensacola, Florida... aside from the great beaches, has a large military complex.  So, needless to say, most of my friends were military.  One of my closest friends is a marine who had good fortune to have been moved out of his unit before the Beirut bombing happened.  My friend is also Creek Indian.  I have had the good fortune of not seeing any of my firends buried for their active service.  I have been on the edge of both indian and military cultures, both have an afinity to family I just don't find anywhere else.

Not really sure where I am going with this, except I know some of you are, or have been in service to the country and wanted to say thank you.

Peace.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 08:42:49 AM

Good story.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 01:22:31 PM

That was incredibly touching.  cry

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 05:04:34 PM

Many American Indians choose to serve in the Marines.  I had nothing but positive experiences with all of the ones I worked with.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 05:06:45 PM

Well said.  I salute all our brothers and sisters currently at arms.

/salute

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 08:11:54 AM

My uncle just got back from over a year in Baghdad. It was very hard on my aunt having to take care of two young daughters by herself. She would get up every night at 3:30 am to trade a quick instant message to know he was ok for the day (especially if word got out that a convoy was bombed).

Even getting out of there is a nightmare. Transport planes take fire as they take off from Baghdad. My uncle's plane, loaded full of soldiers headed home, had to dramatically dive right after takeoff to avoid ground fired missile / rpg that the pilot saw incoming.

Kudos to all the troops and to their families.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 10:48:34 AM

My little brother just arrived from serving his first 6 months in Baghdad.  He gets 2 weeks R&R with his family (WOOT).  Interesting tidbit; every male in my families current generation has now officially served in support of the Iraq invasion/rebuilding, with representation from the Navy, Marines, Airforce, and Army. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Military, Iraq, and you  
Jump to: