Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 05:39:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Soon to be racing up the NY Times Bestseller List... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soon to be racing up the NY Times Bestseller List...  (Read 1207 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: August 23, 2005, 12:03:04 PM

Quote from: USA Today
Anderson's second novel turns up the sex

By Carol Memmott, USA TODAY Tue Aug 23, 7:15 AM ET

Pamela Anderson is wearing boots - just boots - in the photo that stretches across front and back covers of Star Struck, her latest novel, out Tuesday.

It's the first clue that her admittedly semi-autobiographical second novel (Atria, $24) is more about sex than it is about plot. The book is so racy that after Anderson's mother read it, "she told me I should be spanked."

Last year, Anderson's first novel, Star, was a surprising success. It chronicled the early life of Star Wood Leigh, a blond and bosomy cosmetologist who is "discovered," photographed for a Playboy-like magazine and winds up on a Baywatch-like TV show.

The former Baywatch babe, 38, won't be making the bookstore rounds for Star Struck, however. She's busy shooting her Fox sitcom, Stacked, which returns in new episodes in January. The show averaged a modest 7 million viewers last season, and this month Comedy Central's Roast of Pamela Anderson drew 4.3 million, a strong showing for cable.

Anderson also has been making headlines for her relationship with ex-husband Tommy Lee; she has acknowledged she let rumors of a reunion fly to help publicize his reality show, Tommy Lee Goes to College (NBC, Tuesdays, 9 p.m. ET/PT). "We get along fine," she says. "There's no new news."

But Lee, father of her sons Brandon, 9, and Dylan, 7, is a factor in Anderson's fiction. Jimi, Star's rock-star husband, is based in part on the Motley Crue drummer. "Jimi is based on a compilation of people, but definitely Tommy is part of the inspiration, for sure."

The stories, she says, were "inspired by my life" - to the point that separating truth from fiction can be difficult. "But you wouldn't want me to go page by page and tell you what's true and what's not. It would be confusing. I've even confused myself. The charm of the book is really not knowing."

Anderson says she and co-writer Eric Shaw Quinn wrote Star and Star Struck at the same time.

But she thought Star Struck was too true-to-life, so publication was delayed while she rewrote parts of it. "I decided I needed to fictionalize it more, maybe kill a few people, throw in a little of this and a little of that. It just started feeling a bit too familiar to me."

As to how Star Struck continues the story, she says, "Star was more like a Cinderella story, but this one gets edgier and more erotic. That's kind of what happened in my life at the time."

Sharing such intimacies was tougher than she imagined, she says.

"You feel brave when you're writing it, but then the whole world sees it, and it's like, 'Uh-oh.' "

She has no plans to become a full-time writer. "These books are just extra fun things I get to do on the side. I'm proud of them, and they were fun to do, but I can't wait to focus on my TV show."

But she does hope the new book sells as well as Star. "Hopefully, the people who enjoyed the first book will enjoy the second book. And it's definitely racier. It's PG-18."
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 12:05:26 PM

....Why?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 12:06:08 PM

Ya, she wrote it. I believe that.

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 12:06:15 PM

Yes, I watched most of the Comedy Central roast of her, though had I known she was doing it to fund PETA, I wouldn't have. The funniest part (and there was lots of raunchy funny)?

Bea Arthur reading one of the sex scenes from Star Struck. It hurts ma groin.

Also, it makes me weep that some talentless asstard with huge tits gets a multi-book deal while I'm trying to get a novel published. Monkeyfuckers.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 12:08:21 PM

Apparently we just need to get a boob job to get published, Haemcow.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 12:09:06 PM

I'm sure a pair of man tits on top of my funnel chest might be an oddity, but probably not publish-worthy.

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 03:02:19 PM

I don't know. There was that guy who did a guest spot on The Man Show because he won a million doallar bet for getting breast implants and keeping them for a year. You just need the right angle and you too can write a sordid tale about your breasts.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 03:03:16 PM

Take heart, she's losing her looks pretty rapidly.  I had the misfortune of catching a few minutes of Stacked one night. (WHY Christopher, WHY!?!) and the cheek lines and crow's feet were pretty apparent.  I distinctly recall thinking, "Wow, she actually looks 40 when she isn't airbrushed."   Sure, plastic surgery works for some people for a good, long while (Dolly Parton) but I don't think it's going to work on Pamela quite as well.(I'm thinking Joan Rivers in 10 years) If it was, then I wouldn't have noticed such blemishes in a TV show.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 10:05:59 AM

The book is so racy that after Anderson's mother read it, "she told me I should be spanked."

This is the lead in for her next book, of course.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Soon to be racing up the NY Times Bestseller List...  
Jump to: