Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:21:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Couple questions, please. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Couple questions, please.  (Read 5937 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

on: February 12, 2009, 11:47:57 AM

I've been reading a lot about the game and thinking about giving it a shot because I'm tiring of diku games. 

Is there any reason to wait for the retail box to start playing EVE?
With the option to change attributes being added to the game, is it as important to build characters exactly like the goonfleet's page says (I'm not hip to the asian avatars)?
I've been part of F13 for almost two years, any chance of getting added into the corp/alliance when I start playing?

Thanks.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:53:55 AM

Retail box - Not really
Goonfleet noob builds - We really have no idea, as they haven't announced anything concrete yet.  None of the minmatar look asian though, so if you go that route you're safe.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 11:57:39 AM

I've been part of F13 for almost two years, any chance of getting added into the corp/alliance when I start playing?

You have a ton of posts over a long time, so yes.  But not until after our current war.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 12:19:02 PM

1: No unless you really like boxes. Best way is to get someone in game to send you an invite, that way you get a longer trial (21 days instead of 14) and they get a free month if you subscribe. PM me with your email address and I'll drop you an invite if you like.
2: A few points one way or the other makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things. As long as you don't go for one of the grossly one-dimensional builds you really can't gimp your character too much if you pick the race that you like the look of the best.
3: Not my department.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 12:31:59 PM

I've been reading a lot about the game and thinking about giving it a shot because I'm tiring of diku games. 

Is there any reason to wait for the retail box to start playing EVE?
With the option to change attributes being added to the game, is it as important to build characters exactly like the goonfleet's page says (I'm not hip to the asian avatars)?

Thanks.

1. No

2. No But....

Achura will still have the best stat distribution if you build them that way before the change(which you will lose if you change)

So the way to pick right now is mainly based on base starting skills rather than attributes. Though i recommend choosing something that looks good to you.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 01:38:32 PM

I'm DLing the trial right now. Can any one give me any starting tips for some one who likes light/fast ships and it mainly in it for combat?
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 01:44:07 PM

Fly a Rifter.

Over and out.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 01:44:29 PM

Maybe you guys should revive Bat Country for new players while recruit freeze is going.

Morph read the stickies.

"Me am play gods"
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 04:14:34 PM

I have an offer in PMs for a trial ad, thanks though to others that offered. 

You have a ton of posts over a long time, so yes.  But not until after our current war.

Where is the best place to watch for the current war to be over so I can be added?
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 04:27:45 PM

I'm DLing the trial right now. Can any one give me any starting tips for some one who likes light/fast ships and it mainly in it for combat?

Minmatar, combat focused. Use the goonfleet minmatar guide but you can choose any race.

Alternately you can choose any other race and then train autocannons and minmatar frigate.

If you end up really really liking small fast ships, you an train for amarr interceptors, since those are the fastest in the game(minmatar better for tackle, Amarr better for damage/solo), or move on to Minmatar Cruisers/HACs since those are the fastest cruisers/HACs/Recons in the game.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 04:34:49 PM

I ended up going Amarr as I liked the look of their ships the best, and I couldnt stand the look on the Minmatar characters.

I used this template, anything wrong with that?

Amarr PvP Build
Recommended Build
Pick Khanid for your bloodline.
Assign the additional 5 points to: +3 PER, +2 INT
For Heritage, choose Cyber Knights (+3 Per, +1 INT)
For Career, choose Military
For Specialization, choose Soldier
Why We Recommend It
This will start you with Charisma 5, Intelligence 8, Memory 4, Perception 14, Willpower 8, plus 4 Perception from your starting Spatial Awareness IV skill, and the following skills:

This build will output more raw damage than any other starting build. Has a very low starting memory, so won't be so hot with drones (and many Amarr ships *do* use drones; you may, at your discretion, want to bump a few points into memory instead); has a strong starting Int, though, so you'll be able to train support skills with relative ease.
Because this build starts with very strong armor tanking skills --Hull Upgrades and Repair Systems at IV -- you'll start off pretty strong at PvE as well, although you'll need to wait a few days for Cruisers as you only start with Amarr Frigate skill at III, not IV.
Since you start with Spatial Awareness IV, you might want to consider training Clarity early on. You should also pick up Propulsion Jamming and Afterburner skills, so that you can do basic Tackling.
Once you have the basics down, and have enough extra cash that you can afford to lose the ship, think about training the Destroyers skill, and maybe hopping into a Sniping Destroyer. (In your case, that would be the Coercer). Once you find yourself space-rich, consider training Small Beam Laser Specialization to use Tech 2 small guns and ammunition, dramatically increasing your damage output and range.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 04:56:46 PM

nothing wrong with that. Amarr focus more on medium range DPS over everything else though, so aside from their interceptors and the Zealot, they aren't all that fast. On the battleship level they are the absolute slowest.

Easiest way to playing amarr well is to train LOTS into laser gunnery skills. Once you get tech 2 guns in a cruiser you're pretty golden.

Fast option is the crusader, only 2 meds means its not as good for tackling, but its got the best base attributes for speed and the most low slots(which makes it the fastest interceptor).

They've all got longevity issues which you will discover very quickly, and for the most part their cruisers/frigates suck at low skills.

However, you can rat Bloods in Delve with a Harbinger with ease and Harbingers use cruiser sized weaponry.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 03:31:49 AM

I have an offer in PMs for a trial ad, thanks though to others that offered. 

Where is the best place to watch for the current war to be over so I can be added?

The War thread in this forum.  There will be much crowing by somebody, whoever wins.  And, one way or the other, it probably won't be more than a few weeks.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 04:49:10 AM

If it goes on too long the idea of reviving BAT is a good idea. At the very least join the f13 channel in game to chat with all of us, request money, ask gobs of questions, etc.

I'm pretty excited to see two more long term posters interested.

Witty banter not included.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 07:36:36 AM

I'm hoping to join up with you guys right after the war is over as well.  I'm finally getting done with the learning skill grind today.  Hooray!  Now I can actually train, you know, fun things.  But just installed some +3 implants the other day so I'm in no real rush to get out to 0.0 anyways  ; )
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 09:50:28 AM

I always keep +3s in.  Getting podded happens less than you'd think if you don't take stupid risks.
Pax
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 11:39:42 AM

A cheaper way to not constantly be losing full implant sets is to have 2 "pvp" clones.

One Perception/Willpower clone and one Intelligence/Memory. Obviously you might want to rearrange your skill training a little to best exploit your resulting attributes and learn ship/weapon skills when in the per/will clone and drone/electronics/science skills in the int/mem clone.

Mia san de Borg. Aichan Widastaund keannt's aich ind' Hoar schmian.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 12:47:44 PM

What another person (Bhodi?) used to do is fly around with a pair of perception/willpower +3s until he got podded, then swap for intelligence/memory and train those skills until his next podding.  Helps you focus on certain sets one at a time.  Plus, if you're about to get podded then start training a month-long skill.  You still get the benefit of your lost implants until you pause training or start a new skill.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 12:49:58 PM

Awesome.  Thanks for the very helpful hints.  That last one is especially relevent.  When I go out into 0.0 I will now certainly begin some long ass level 5 skill training right before.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 01:46:20 PM

So, everyone in the f13 chat said I should consider rerolling from Amarr to Minmatar since I said I wanted to fly fast ships. Could some one elaborate on this.

I am only 2 days of training in.

Basically I like really fast ships with decent firepower. Is going Amarr bad for this?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 02:29:00 PM

I don't think actually being Minmatar makes any difference, it's the ships themselves (which anyone can train) that have speed and inertia bonuses (quite substantial ones).  Just train up Minmatar ship skills instead of Amarr.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 02:34:53 PM

So, everyone in the f13 chat said I should consider rerolling from Amarr to Minmatar since I said I wanted to fly fast ships. Could some one elaborate on this.

I am only 2 days of training in.

Basically I like really fast ships with decent firepower. Is going Amarr bad for this?

What types of fast ships?  If you are interested in Interceptors/frigates/assault frigates Amarr has some of the best in the game (but the best newbie frigate is still probably the rifter).  I am a minimatar who then cross trained Amarr (because I like the looks of the ships and the pretty lazers).  To be honest after the last patch I think amarr right now  has the best ships for a variety of reasons (lasers buffed, everyone's speed nerfed).  Especially ceptors, I love me my Crusader.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 02:47:00 PM

What types of fast ships?  If you are interested in Interceptors/frigates/assault frigates Amarr has some of the best in the game (but the best newbie frigate is still probably the rifter).

I havent the faintest idea. I have played the game 3 times, but never got very far, I have only flown Frigates. I think Ill probably stick with the Amarr since I like the look of him better than most other races.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 02:47:30 PM

When describing a ship's hardpoints, do you go from High-Med-Low or the other way around?

4-5-3 or 3-5-4

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 04:41:49 PM

H-M-L i'd say

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 03:41:58 PM

Does BIG still run their lotto?

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 11:08:23 PM

Ok, what the heck is an Orca?

Or more precisely, is it a true capital in that it needs cyno's to move around? Does it use gates like a normal ship?

lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 11:26:39 PM

Orca Dev Blog

It uses gates and can't jump.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 11:49:37 PM

Excellent, thank you.

-edit- So it's essentially the carebear wet dream mining support ship? Like an actual Veldnought.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:55:17 PM by Fordel »

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 02:20:16 AM

Pretty much, it's a entire belt stripping operation in a box, that you can use in High-Sec.  Only problem is no guns to take aggro, so you'd have to gain it passively before launching the Miner II's.  I'm sure that all mine-laser BS will mine faster than it does, but that's what the tractor beam bonuses are for.  It can carry a pair of Hulks, or a few mining cruisers and an Ity V or an Occator for hauling or just extra cargo space.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 10:53:51 AM

Yea, it seems ideal for mining those unused stationless systems all over high sec. Find a system a couple jumps away from a proper station and you have all the veld you and your hulk alt can suck to yourself.

Just make sure no one war decs you. That's gotta be a griefing target.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Couple questions, please.  
Jump to: