Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 04:34:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Call of Duty: World at War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Call of Duty: World at War  (Read 6929 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: November 18, 2008, 06:18:07 AM

It says: November.

Is the game out but yet unavailable on Steam? Any news I missed out?

Oh and... is it good? With the coop craze generated by L4D me and friends are thinking about getting this too.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 06:20:51 AM

People are saying it's almost as good as CoD4. Which is pretty impressive given the total mediocrity that Treyarch had presented before, so good for them. But is it worth getting? Dunno.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 08:08:44 AM

I rushed through the single player campaign just so I could unlock the Nazi Zombies mode, which beats horde mode in GoW2. Anyway, it seems like Treyarch went through a lot of effort to present this not only as a game, but as a slight history lesson. They show real footage from WW2 in between each level as part of the briefing and the action in each level is way up there. I'd say it's worth a go, if not for Nazi Zombies Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 08:32:42 AM

How long does the single player campaign last? Is it worth it just for that, or is it more of just a portal to the multiplayer?

I'm pretty hesitatnt about this one; as mentioned in Lum's blog, the trailer is  ACK! and quite a turn off for me.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 12:02:06 PM

It took me 3 hours on easy while skipping most of the briefings and rushing like a mad man. My roommate, Phire, took about 6 hours in his run through on Normal. That was the case with CoD4 too though. Plus, you get told what to do by Keifer Sutherland!
Phire
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 12:14:07 PM

I enjoyed it and I am hoping to tackle it on veteran in co-op once I get around to finishing the other 5-6 games on my plate.

The action is ramped up more than any other Call of Duty and is more in your face with soldiers rushing to melee you. The game play is near identical to CoD 4 with the scenarios and environments being different so if you liked that you will definitely enjoy this one.

The length I would say was just right with 15 levels that are 30-40 minutes each. Between the single player, co-op, Nazi zombie and the regular mulit-player mode you are getting a really nice package. Nazi zombie alone feels like an entirely different game and I really hope they support it with new maps in the future.

I really have to say Treyarch did a great job on this one, having just beat their other new release Quantum of Solace (Which too uses the CoD 4 engine) there is no comparison. One is a polished, intense 'add-on' to Call of Duty and the other is generic, clumsy and just outdated.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 02:57:18 PM

Duh!
Available on Steam now.

Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 01:35:25 AM

Great game, not as good as Call of Duty 4, but still a great game.

Pro:
Single player- 2 stories, pretty neat with real footage from WWII.  My kid made the comment, "wow, WWII must have sucked."  He then learned about how half of the old relatives we have served and what they did.  Nice that you can play co-op with up to 4 people and can do it online or linked.  At times the story was crazy hard.  Some missions were crazy fun, loved the seaplane where you had to man the guns and rescue downed sailors, even if it was a shooter on rails mission, it was pretty cool.

Online- Damn fun on xbox live, as good as CoD4 with the maps, games, and rank ups and unlocks, and prestige.  Going to be playing the heck out of online.

Bonus- Zombie game at the end.  CoD4 had the extra mission, this one has a cool game, plus you can play with 3 other friends as you battle the zombies.

Con:
Single player-  While they did make it neat with fun history, sometimes the missions were just not fun.  The story flows better in CoD4 and CoD3, than it does on this game.  It isn't a game breakers, but it still can be a bit of a nuisance. 

Multi player- Pretty much like CoD4, with some changes, not a lot they added on this part (but then again, they didn't need to change a lot).

Overall, it is a great game.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 03:21:57 PM

I've just started, but I'm finding that while the presentation and such is excellent, pretty much on a par with CoD4, the problems with the game are the same, and even exacerbated. Lots of sudden "oh. you dead now" moments that require you to die the first time so you can know what to avoid the second time. You sprinting to the checkpoints is more important than actually fighting your way through, thanks to the endlessly-respawning enemies. My squadmates seem to have taken a step back from useful and competent as in previous CoD games and are back to being decoration, and the enemies only seem to shoot at me (except for the occasional 1-shot kill on my decorative squadmates.

And I'm only playing on the second difficulty setting.

I'm kinda losing interest in it already. I think I'm over WW2 shooters.  swamp poop

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 01:52:34 PM

I just finished CoD4, the original one, and I found the endless enemy respawn immersion breaking. It was also ridiculously short. Is this new one longer?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 03:50:47 PM

About the same.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 07:31:04 AM

Short is okay if it's fun all the way through. CoD seems to have stopped being a game and become more about being "an experience" in a lot of ways. In SP, at least. And I have to finish the SP campaign if I want to kill Zombies in co-op..
 ACK!

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 07:08:56 PM

Or you could use one of the unlockers to get to it.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 09:33:41 PM

Does anyone else get audio glitching in the video cutscenes between missions?

Just played a couple more missions. I find the Russian missions less painful than the US ones. Must be something about jungle snipers and endless banzai charges. I got bored of the instagib COD4 MP pretty quickly, and aside from giving zombie mode a try, I have no desire whatsoever to play this in MP. Which is interesting in itself.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Call of Duty: World at War  
Jump to: