Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 10:00:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Fuck you Apple. I want my motherfucking Sunshine. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuck you Apple. I want my motherfucking Sunshine.  (Read 6329 times)
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

on: December 31, 2008, 01:11:40 AM

I hate itunes.  HATEHATEHATEHATE.

But...I just found out they are the only place selling the actual, for-reals, Sunshine soundtrack.

So, what I need to know from anybody who does know, is if I can purchase a DRM-free version of it through the itunes store?  I don't care if it costs extra, I'd rather be able to listen to the shit in whatever I please.

Fuck itunes.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 01:22:59 AM

But...I just found out they are the only place selling the actual, for-reals, Sunshine soundtrack.

So, what I need to know from anybody who does know, is if I can purchase a DRM-free version of it through the itunes store?  I don't care if it costs extra, I'd rather be able to listen to the shit in whatever I please.

Fuck itunes.
  • Buy it from iTunes.
  • Burn it to CD.
  • Rip the CD for DRM free legal music.
  • Profit.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 01:36:18 AM by IainC »

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 01:24:04 AM

I guess.  Fucking dogshit store.

Thanks.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 10:25:23 AM

• Buy it from iTunes.
  • Burn it to CD.
  • Profit.

If my understanding of the DMCA is correct, you're now a dirty pirate because you have just disseminated an algorithm that can be used to circumvent DRM software.

And by reading it I've become an accomplice!  Augh!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 10:54:58 AM

Fuck itunes.
In the iTunes store, if you see somewhere in itsy bitsy type the words "iTunes Plus" you know that's a DRM free song/album. It used to be easier to tell cause they were more expensive but that's no longer the case. The Sunshine motion picture unfortunately is not in iTunes Plus format.

Edit: you also might see a little "+" icon to signify an iTunes Plus song.

• Buy it from iTunes.
  • Burn it to CD.
  • Profit.
If my understanding of the DMCA is correct, you're now a dirty pirate because you have just disseminated an algorithm that can be used to circumvent DRM software.

And by reading it I've become an accomplice!  Augh!
Burning songs to a CD is a feature within iTunes so there's no illegal circumvention going on there (i.e. it's allowed by the iTunes license). Music CDs don't have any copy protection (well real music CDs don't, we won't talk about the rootkit enabled discs that aren't really CDs) so ripping that to your drive also does not involve any DMCA circumvention, though if the music execs who have testified under oath are to be believed, that's still stealing to them (fortunately the courts so far disagree).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 11:05:49 AM by Trippy »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 01:03:16 PM

Burning songs to a CD is a feature within iTunes so there's no illegal circumvention going on there (i.e. it's allowed by the iTunes license). Music CDs don't have any copy protection (well real music CDs don't, we won't talk about the rootkit enabled discs that aren't really CDs) so ripping that to your drive also does not involve any DMCA circumvention, though if the music execs who have testified under oath are to be believed, that's still stealing to them (fortunately the courts so far disagree).

Playing a DVD on your Linux desktop with an open source DVD decoder is using a bunch of seemingly harmless "features" of your ostensibly legal CPU, but when you put them together to circumvent copyright it's a RECIPE FOR SIN, and this is no different.  Gussy it up all you want, it's still STEALING and WRONG, you dirty thief.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 05:06:54 PM

The soundtrack is currently only available in 128kbps DRM-encoded AAC. If you watch this place, you'll know when something better is available.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 05:26:32 PM

Yeah, I'm kind of pulling my hair out right now because I paid money for a shitty-quality drm-infected album.  I may as well have just downloaded one of the many ripped-from-DVD torrents instead.

Fuck.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 07:25:30 PM

Buy the CD?
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 07:55:07 PM

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 08:34:25 PM

Touche.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 12:05:43 AM

Yeah, I'm kind of pulling my hair out right now because I paid money for a shitty-quality drm-infected album.  I may as well have just downloaded one of the many ripped-from-DVD torrents instead.

On the plus side, if Apple offers a 256kbps DRM-free version of this soundtrack in the future, you can 'upgrade' for $2.99.

Also, were you to seek out a naughty torrent, you wouldn't be looking for a DVD rip but the rip of the promo CD that hit the Internet a while back which has a couple of missing passages that were omitted from the official release. Track listing of the promo CD here. Or you could ask a record store that's good at sourcing promos to get you the real thing.

As an aside, a little known fact is that Apple's own iMovie HD can be used to strip the DRM from an iTunes store file without the further loss incurred by conversion to analog and back. Hilarious.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 08:52:02 AM

It should not go unmentioned that it wasn't Apples choice to get you the Sunshine music with DRM. Your rage should be directed at the one responsible.

Which means that Apple probably doesn't give a shit if you use the "Burn to CD" option as described in this thread.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 06:08:16 PM

As an aside, a little known fact is that Apple's own iMovie HD can be used to strip the DRM from an iTunes store file without the further loss incurred by conversion to analog and back. Hilarious.

CDs are digital, so shouldn't burning a song to CD be lossless?  Or is CD audio lower quality than what you get from the iTunes store?  (Audio ignoramus here.)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 06:28:49 PM

CDs are digital, so shouldn't burning a song to CD be lossless?  Or is CD audio lower quality than what you get from the iTunes store?  (Audio ignoramus here.)
It's effectively the same process. iMovie will turn the AAC file into an AIFF (Mac/Sun equivalent of a WAV file), a lossless format at CD Music quality (16-bit, 44 KHz/48 KHz). Burning to a CD will do the same thing.

The iTunes AAC files are lossy compressed (they are slightly better quality than 128 Kbps MP3s) so they aren't as good as the versions you would pull off an actual music CD though the iTunes Plus versions, which are at a higher bitrate, are pretty close.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 06:42:45 PM

Damn, good tip (on the iMovie thing). I'm always burning iTunes tracks to a CD to get them behaving "right". Kind of a pain in the ass to do it that way though.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 11:02:30 AM

Check the itunes store again. If it's not plus now, it will be soon.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Fuck you Apple. I want my motherfucking Sunshine.  
Jump to: