Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 01:46:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Dead Rising 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dead Rising  (Read 4418 times)
Litigator
Terracotta Army

on: June 30, 2006, 12:12:44 AM

I had written this one off as another repetitive beat-em-up, but it looks really Romero-esque, and I find myself getting excited even though I know prerelease coverage of games is not to be trusted.

Does anyone know if this game is actually going to be good?
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 12:13:28 AM

Got on it for a few minutes at E3 and watched some people play it.

It will be good.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 07:35:00 AM

It's Capcom, so you know it'll have that cheesy Romero dialog and feel to it.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 12:18:17 PM

George or John?

The former, I'm there, sight unseen. The latter? Not even with Triforcer's mitts.  :-D

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 03:02:45 PM

George, noob.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 09:26:08 PM

This game does have a decent amount of suck in it. The zombie-beating is fun so far. Being unable to equip things like the Lego-Man-Head-mask sucks, and the forced plot is the usual videogame-quality tripe. I've barely started it, I guess, but the most annoying thing so far has been that fuckwit photographer you find, who just taunts you to take more photos as you're trying to figure out if you can rescue the fuckwit or not while he tries to act like a 3rd-rate Puck.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 09:59:42 PM

This game does have a decent amount of suck in it. The zombie-beating is fun so far. Being unable to equip things like the Lego-Man-Head-mask sucks, and the forced plot is the usual videogame-quality tripe. I've barely started it, I guess, but the most annoying thing so far has been that fuckwit photographer you find, who just taunts you to take more photos as you're trying to figure out if you can rescue the fuckwit or not while he tries to act like a 3rd-rate Puck.

Try going to the bathroom, I think the mirror allows you to undo the most recent thing you've added.

I ignore the stupid guy in every play through I've done.  I'll have to deal with him for a certain achievement if I ever want it, but it hasn't stopped me from ignoring him thus far.  The plot just gets in the way.  It's the weakest part of the game that comes with the ridiculous boss fights.  Don't worry if people die, btw, it's a zombiepocalypse.. they're supposed to.

If the game gets too hard, you can always die and restart.  Frank keeps his exp to that point.  Game's a lot easier with added health and inventory items. 

-Rasix
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 10:26:01 PM

Ah, I thought he was a rescue-civilian as well as a tutorial civvie. As it turned out, he effectively killed me since I got the shits with him and tried to beat him up, so he almost killed me. Then Carlos/Carlito shot me a bit later.

How do you equip the lego head? (or clothes in general?) The manual says nothing, and this being a Capcom game, the options screen also tells you nothing.

Also, the endless fucking slow-loading uninteractive cutscenes piss me off. Fucking Japanese design style.

schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 12:02:24 AM

The point is dying and redoing it. It's only a 3-4 hour game from start to finish. It's about mastering a craft. Also, it's about being fucking awesome.
Rasix

Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 12:48:51 AM

How do you equip the lego head? (or clothes in general?) The manual says nothing, and this being a Capcom game, the options screen also tells you nothing.

Clothing stores and other stores should have either changing rooms, racks or displays where you can equip new clothing by simply pushing A next to it.  I think they'll also give you the option to revert to your previous item (at least changing rooms do).

Also, the endless fucking slow-loading uninteractive cutscenes piss me off. Fucking Japanese design style.

You can hit a button to bypass any cutscene.  I think it's the start button. I didn't watch any of them past my first completion.

It's only a 3-4 hour game from start to finish.

Not to pick nits here, but beating the game in that time frame would be impossible given the timed nature of the game.  It's pretty short, but not nearly that short.    I don't want to spoil too much here.. heh.  Could be wrong though, I haven't played it since I loaned it to a friend.

But yah, reloading costs you very little.  It just makes the game easier.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 12:50:34 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 01:41:56 AM

How do you equip the lego head? (or clothes in general?)

If the Lego head is the same thing I'm thinking of, you don't equip it.  It's one of the things you can place on a zombie's head.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 01:49:26 AM

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 04:33:20 AM

The point is dying and redoing it. It's only a 3-4 hour game from start to finish. It's about mastering a craft. Also, it's about being fucking awesome.

The only bad thing about reloading it is going through the five minutes of bullshit to get to the security room again. I've been skipping the cutscenes after first view, but walking three paces, then being confronted with another shittily-voiced and written cutscene when I want to be impaling zombies brings pain. And god the loading...

geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 12:58:34 PM

I seem to recall there was two kinds of lego heads and one could be equipped.  But, it's been awhile since I booted up the game.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 01:54:00 PM

I need to open my copy.

Eventually.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 02:53:52 PM

I was showing it off a bit to someone this week as a reason to own a 360.  Its still completely fucking awesome, even if Infinite Mode is kinda meh.  Almost beat my friends list in it though.  Stupid chick on a motorcycle in the open air section of the mall.  Why did I bother fighting her for?  I was less than 5 minutes of real time from being at the top of my list!  (Found one of the double health items, spent about a RL hour sitting by the katana over the coffee/juice place near Colby's Theater.  But that got lame so I went on an exploration run.)
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 10:49:57 PM

Yeah infinite mode is total ass. Whoever managed to ruin what should have been the BEST mode in the game should be shot.

While I suppose it is realistic. i.e. in a real zombie outbreak most of your time would be spent waiting and waiting and waiting... and hording dwindling food supplies while waiting for rescue/shit to get sorted out. Making that the focus of infinite mode = epic fail. Especially when the rest of the game is so over the top and crazy.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 12:31:32 AM

The actual intent behind the mode was probably that you'd run around constantly foraging for food only to have a lot of it dwindle fighting off zombies and psychopaths.  However, the players outsmarted them by simply foraging the good stuff and turning it into a waiting game in a safe area.  The resulting boredom was poorly distributed rewards: when the goal is just to stay alive, the answer turned out to be boring play.

Still, you've got to wonder why they didn't make infinite mode without the ticking down health and allow health items to respawn.  If I had to guess, I'd say that they were worried that players would get bored if they were able to wander around the mall until they're sick of it.  Well, the alternate solution didn't turn out any better.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 06:51:05 AM

Lego head.  There's one that you pick up, it's in the world like the traffic cone or any other weapon.  The one you wear works like a clothing store in that you walk up to the shelf and change clothes.  It's in the toy store, of course.

Also, don't reload, restart so you keep your PP.  It can get tedious, I suppose, but note that there is a shotgun in the initial area where the zombies break in.  I'd like to be more interested in the story, but I'm just not.  Respawning prisoners doesn't help, either, but that minigun you yank from the jeep is sweeeet... but it's not sweet for your companions.  Also, get your ass to the hardware store.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 08:13:06 AM

I have tried to play this but the text is much to small to read on my tv. I can't find a setting to make it larger print. I have a 36 inch tv, givenit is not HD I am a lttle surprised that the text is so damn small. It really is down right retarded.

EDIT

I did some research, turns out the game is optimized for HD...Not having a text option for non HD is retarded. Oh well. I will be shelving this guy.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:17:56 AM by HAMMER FRENZY »

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 12:26:49 PM

Respawning prisoners doesn't help, either

Not really a problem once you find the shortcut from one side to the other.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 12:46:37 PM

Lego head.  There's one that you pick up, it's in the world like the traffic cone or any other weapon.  The one you wear works like a clothing store in that you walk up to the shelf and change clothes.  It's in the toy store, of course.

Also, don't reload, restart so you keep your PP.  It can get tedious, I suppose, but note that there is a shotgun in the initial area where the zombies break in.  I'd like to be more interested in the story, but I'm just not.  Respawning prisoners doesn't help, either, but that minigun you yank from the jeep is sweeeet... but it's not sweet for your companions.  Also, get your ass to the hardware store.

Hm.. I'll look at the Lego heads again in the toy shop. I could only find ones to hit things with in there, but then again I didn't know some were equipable and some not. Though even the unequipable ones are called "toy mask" or some such. Also, whereabouts is this shotgun?

I have tried to play this but the text is much to small to read on my tv. I can't find a setting to make it larger print. I have a 36 inch tv, givenit is not HD I am a lttle surprised that the text is so damn small. It really is down right retarded.

I did some research, turns out the game is optimized for HD...Not having a text option for non HD is retarded. Oh well. I will be shelving this guy.

I find the text shitty to read as well. We're buying a HDTV in a couple of weeks, so I'll probably get back to the game then, since sitting 2 feet from the box and squinting hurts my eyeses.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 12:49:41 PM

There's a gun shop in the mall. But...you'll see.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 08:37:13 PM

I beat it on an SDTV.  Had to wear my glasses and turn picture softness to max.  Not exactly the best way to do things.  Capcom must have been channeling the loudmouths who insist everyone upgrade to cutting edge THIS MINUTE types instead of the vast majority.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 08:42:50 PM

I have decided (and only my opinion matters) that you are in fact in the minority.

I'm about a year away from my Sony Wega 32" becoming TV #3. It may end up in my bathroom.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Rasix

Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 09:25:33 PM

I beat it on an SDTV.  Had to wear my glasses and turn picture softness to max.  Not exactly the best way to do things.  Capcom must have been channeling the loudmouths who insist everyone upgrade to cutting edge THIS MINUTE types instead of the vast majority.

Capcom corrected this with other games. They had a patch for Lost Planet that fixed the text issues.  They just never bothered to go back and do this with Dead Rising.  swamp poop

I didn't actually beat the game until I got my HD set, which was thankfully only a few weeks after I got the 360.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 10:24:24 PM

Shotgun in the initial area... ok there's the pool.  Just to the right of center as you head towards the doors, at the edge of the pool will be a mass of zombies eating someone.  That someone had the shotgun.  You should have a 2x4 or a bench.  The bench works best.  Clear those bitches off of the pile and at the bottom you'll find a shotgun.  This is much easier than getting one from the gun shop.

Reading?  You're having fun the wrong way.  Less wordy-wordy, more choppy-choppy.  But I do agree the text is incredibly small.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Dead Rising  
Jump to: