Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 06:38:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Cell phone PDAs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cell phone PDAs  (Read 3563 times)
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

on: August 10, 2007, 12:28:07 PM

The closer they launch the worse for AoC imho. Doesn't affect me until beta tho 

And posting from cell keypad sucks. I blink faster than i can find these stupid keys...

= Win

Although the blackjack keyboard has some built in lag or somthing..it's odd and I'm having trouble adjusting.  The Treo is money.

Or, if you've got a compatible phone:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 05:50:45 PM by Trippy »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 01:45:30 PM

@Nerf: My current mobile is just a RAZR, so I'm stuck with the keypad. Any of those are better, but not worth the money for me right now. And while I already have the Virtual Keyboard, rare is it I'm checking stuff online on my mobile where I also have a convenient flat surface I can project it on. Oddly enough, while every picture shows it on a black surface, it actually only works really well on a white surface, preferably with some reflectiveness. Pretty responsive, but not very configurable, as the technology apparently is based on holography. Maybe newer versions than mine are more dynamic, but what I've got is a keyboard and will only ever be a keyboard.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:51:43 PM

@Nerf: My current mobile is just a RAZR, so I'm stuck with the keypad. Any of those are better, but not worth the money for me right now. And while I already have the Virtual Keyboard, rare is it I'm checking stuff online on my mobile where I also have a convenient flat surface I can project it on. Oddly enough, while every picture shows it on a black surface, it actually only works really well on a white surface, preferably with some reflectiveness. Pretty responsive, but not very configurable, as the technology apparently is based on holography. Maybe newer versions than mine are more dynamic, but what I've got is a keyboard and will only ever be a keyboard.

While I'm glad to hear the virtual keyboard does work somewhat as advertised (imho it could make for some exciting game technology in the years to come), why drop the jack on it to pair with a RAZR?  PDAs have gotten alot more manageble since the days of the I300.  I've got my BlackJack side by side with a RAZR this very moment, thickness is within 1/8th of an inch, width is within 1/8th, and the Blackjack and about 1/2" taller.  Weight difference is negligable.  It doesn't have the same functionality as the Treo platform, but the size difference imho makes up for it.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 02:20:20 PM

Still trying to decide whether to go to a BlackJack-like thing or wait for the iPhone to come down in price, and to my service (or maybe the miniONE). The few times I've used the VK for serious typing, my fingers ended up taking a beating. Tabletops don't have that keyboard give :)
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 02:49:51 PM

A few of the doctors my brother works with drank the iPhone kool-aid.  It's got the 'Wow! That's cool!' thing going for it, but the only feature that it doesn't share with just about every PDA on the market is the YouTube video thing.  Oh yea, and it's EDGE, so you're going to watch them on the shitty slow non-g3 internet.  If that isn't bad enough, their OS is proprietary so the only games/programs you'll be using in the near future are going to be from Apple.  Tack that onto that (stateside) the only provider carrying it is AT&T, who doesn't offer insurance on PDA's.

I'll take my $99 BlackJack and watch YouTube at home, thanks.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 03:05:11 PM

Yah, I like the iPhone (browsing on it is awesome - they did a great job with the browser and the way it handles sliding and zooming in, etc), but being on EDGE is poo-poo for me. Still looking at getting a ATT 8525 (HTC Wizard?) or switching to Sprint with a Blackberry 8830 .. but I hear Sprint is launching their new data network (4G WiMax) next year: article.

Edit: why are we talking about cell phones in an AoC thread?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 03:07:41 PM by Viin »

- Viin
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 03:18:42 PM

Cause it wouldn't be an f13.net thread if it didn't have at least one derailment?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 03:23:52 PM

I know that's why I keep reading stuff here!  :-D

So would this be a bad time/place to ask for advice on a replacement for my ancient Palm m500 PDA?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 03:25:19 PM

I really really like my new HTC Mogul.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 04:08:14 PM

I don't suppose they still make PDA's that aren't phones in some way? I really don't want to be tied up into some kind of cell phone plan where I sell my soul for e-mail .

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 04:16:09 PM

Yes they still do.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 07:07:05 PM

AoC being pushed back didn't need it's own thread. ;) AoC or WAR, I doubt they'll launch on top of each other anyway, but close enough and them going for something of a similar audience is not a good thing for AoC (just to give a semblance of on-topic-ness)

I really really like my new HTC Mogul.

I like that one as well, though sticker-shocks an issue. The photos online add 10lbs. It really isn't as thick as it looks on screen.

While, I agree with Viin that browsing on the iPhone is fantastic, that keyboard, well, it's like the Virtual Keyboard. It's great for short term use, but I can't get used to non-tactile keys. My next device will let me be comfortable posting or there's no reason to ditch the RAZR+laptop. The closed/proprietary-OS thing (hacking aside) is just a shame too. You'd think after all these centuries, Apple would realize the importance of embrassing the third-party the right way. Maybe they want to avoid "messy" stuff screwing up their beautiful UI, but to me that's just adding more QA/approval to the equation, not going all fascist on it.
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 05:48:12 PM

Is there a non-Sprint version of the Mogul? I trolled through HTC's site, and couldn't find anything equivalent. These phones are usually released under 40 different names though...
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 07:50:09 PM

What network do you want?

The ATT Cingular ATT 8525 is pretty close. TMobile has the Wing, which is similar but not as good as the Mogul (does run Windows Mobile 6, I think the 8525 comes with WM5 but can be upgraded).

Edit:

I was this -> <- close to getting a Blackberry 8830 from Sprint (Sprint has the best data network in the US), but then I realized it doesn't have a camera. I normally don't even want a camera in my phone, but not having one would put a damper on this 'picture a day' effort.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 07:52:38 PM by Viin »

- Viin
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 08:46:34 PM

I was this -> <- close to getting a Blackberry 8830 from Sprint (Sprint has the best data network in the US), but then I realized it doesn't have a camera. I normally don't even want a camera in my phone, but not having one would put a damper on this 'picture a day' effort.

The lack of camera in the new Blackberry is why I got the Mogul.
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 08:52:28 PM

What network do you want?
Umm, Rogers, up here in Soviet Canuckistan. They sell the HTC TyTN, but none of the Windows Mobile 6 phones. This really means that I need an unlocked phone that can go on any GSM network.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 10:05:27 PM

There's a Windows Mobile 6 upgrade for the TyTN now.

http://www.europe.htc.com/en/press/latestnews.html
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 08:43:16 AM

The lack of camera in the new Blackberry is why I got the Mogul.

Yah, I'm leaning that way too - though I really like the Blackberry OS.

After some googling, I found this: http://blackberrysync.com/archives/2007/07/14/will-virtual-blackberry-be-coming-to-t-mobile-dash/

Sounds like there's a Virtual Blackberry OS for WM6 coming out .. maybe I will go get that Mogul sooner than later.

- Viin
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 08:44:35 AM

Umm, Rogers, up here in Soviet Canuckistan. They sell the HTC TyTN, but none of the Windows Mobile 6 phones. This really means that I need an unlocked phone that can go on any GSM network.

Unlocked phones are expensive, but with the upgrade Trippy pointed out you should be pretty good with the TyTN.

- Viin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Cell phone PDAs  
Jump to: