Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:07:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Player Owned Structures 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Player Owned Structures  (Read 2591 times)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

on: May 22, 2007, 12:55:14 PM

I was poking around on EVE Wiki and the EVE-o boards looking into POS -- mostly I was wondering what those bloody starbase charters my agent keeps offering me are good for.

This is what I've got so far:

You can anchor the things in 0.0 to 0.3 just fine, at any convienent moon. While there, you can mine the moon, create all sorts of stuff, and do pretty much everything your POS has the correct bits to do.

In .3 to .7, however, you need a charter for the relevent empire (well, a number of charters). It doesn't say how many, or if it's a one-shot purchase, or what. You can only do research and copying there, not much else.

So what's the point of a high-sec POS? Is there a point in individuals attempting to build one, or are they only useful for large corporations?
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 01:07:16 PM

0.4 - 0.7. Look at the fueling information on the control tower of your choice; it consumes something like 100 starbase charters an hour for a full-size tower.

Not sure if research/copying are the only things you can do in highsec POSes. If they are, then the appeal is to have your own research slots that have an inherent 25% research speed bonus in secure space. Which is very nice, since most public slots, even in the ass end of nowhere, have at least 2-3 weeks of waiting time on them these days.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 01:28:21 PM

0.4 - 0.7. Look at the fueling information on the control tower of your choice; it consumes something like 100 starbase charters an hour for a full-size tower.

Not sure if research/copying are the only things you can do in highsec POSes. If they are, then the appeal is to have your own research slots that have an inherent 25% research speed bonus in secure space. Which is very nice, since most public slots, even in the ass end of nowhere, have at least 2-3 weeks of waiting time on them these days.
Can you sell stuff out of them? Rent out offices? Anything like that?

I can see a research/copying thing making money, if you had a decent BPO of some sort -- although with the removal of T2 BPOs, I'm not sure how that's going to continue.

I get the impression the high-sec ones they can be cost effective -- even making money -- but not exactly clear on how.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 01:39:05 PM

No, you don't dock at a POS. It's a bunch of floating crap in space inside a bubble that only you/your corp can get into. That crap has context menus associated with it that let you do the fun things like research. There's no offices to rent and no hangars to sell from.

I don't know precisely what structures you can anchor there, but I imagine if you could set up a reactor array and get cheap basic moon minerals, you could run a reaction chain and produce t2 components, possibly at a profit.

Renting out research slots (which must be done manually, via posting ads to EveO or elsewhere) may also help towards funding your fuel costs.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 01:44:00 PM

POS = PITA POS

Im way to friggin lazy to deal with fueling the bastids.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 02:02:15 PM

High-sec POS can be a good way to make cash by doing reactions for T2 materials.  If you put up 4-8 large POS in a station system and have a freighter, you can manage a reaction chain in 2 hours a week that will make you 200-800M (depending on market fluctuations in the cost of "raws" and fuel vs the value of components).  But it takes a fair amount of investment (500-600M per POS, plus a 1B isk freighter).  You can get higher profitability in 0.0, but then you've got the risks of losing your freighter or the hassles of hauling an indy-load of fuel to every POS each week.  My corp ran a Fermionics chain in 0.0 for a few months, I helped bankroll setting it up (labor overhead got to be too much of a pain, this was before even the GFC freighter unloading in space).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 03:17:25 PM

Renting out research slots (which must be done manually, via posting ads to EveO or elsewhere) may also help towards funding your fuel costs.

If they ever finished making this part of the "normal" research slot rental (aka automated) then it'd be totally worthwhile to have POSs with just a buncha research labs.

- Viin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Player Owned Structures  
Jump to: