Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:32:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Game Collection Idea 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game Collection Idea  (Read 7904 times)
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #35 on: April 23, 2007, 12:13:34 PM

Is 50% of your PS2 list of titles going to be japanese words I don't understand?

I also except 'Atlus' to be that same 50%.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

(Not that I'm hating on Atlus. Steambot Chronicles, go.)

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36 on: April 23, 2007, 01:11:43 PM

Steambot?  Have you played Metal Saga?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: April 23, 2007, 01:30:29 PM

I bet Metal Saga ends up being better than the new Fallout. HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHOHOHOHOO I SLAY ME
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: April 24, 2007, 12:57:39 AM

Locking this thread to open up a new one. Will have updated template, decided to keep in mind something that was said. So I added a column.
schild
Administrator

Reply #39 on: April 24, 2007, 01:45:59 AM

Really easy. I took peoples advice, and added a column. Final version (for now?) are as follows.

1. Title
2. Developer
3. Score [1-10] (Centered)
4. If you liked this, try...
5. Comments

For the developer field, it's best to use MobyGames as the fanatics who fill that shit out find out who the real developer is. Some games, particularly obscure titles (even PC ones) aren't listed there though. I hate to say this, but use IGN. Because of their "game collection" area, and the number of total fanbois that go there, they've gotten very exact - or rather - better than their competition at listing the proper developer. Proof of that: Hot Shots Golf Fore!. Most places would just list Clap Hanz OR SCEI (usually just Clap Hanz). Well, it was both.

As for the score, I know you can't score in a vacuum. But at least try to keep the scores in very close relation to contemporaries (Advance Wars and Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea are NOT alike - but Advance Wars: Black Hole Rising and Advance Wars DS are) or within their series, as I just mentioned in the parentheses.

If you liked this... well, that's self-explanatory, isn't it? If it's unique, just leave it blank. If it's the best of it's genre, just leave it blank. Hell, on my sheet, I've put question marks next to some recommendations. For example, Children of Mana. Sure there's stuff like it. But it's crap also. As such? If you liked this you might as well try... and I put "Lost Magic?" What? Misery loves company. The other important thing is to TRY and keep it within a system. I'm only recommending DS stuff within the DS library. That will obviously be hard for newer systems (PS3, 360) BUT! Those systems are backwards compatible. On some stuff, I have listed upcoming games, particularly when I've played them in original format when possible (read: Japanese) or spoken to someone that has and compared them. These lists are fluid, they can be updated. Also, for DS and PSP stuff, I may have listed a Japanese title as a recommendation, in this case, I have put a (J) afterwards. And yes, for FF3 on the DS I recommended FF6 for the GBA, some rules are just made to be broken - though the DS can play GBA games... so I'm walking a fine line.

Finally, keep comments short. One sentence. A word and a sentence.

For examples of all of that...

Clicky! Updated DS list.

Spreadsheet Download (.ods, Open Office Format)

Here's a link to Open Office. It's a tiny download and... well, I like it more than Office 2007.

So, post links in other stickied thread, and discuss here.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #40 on: April 24, 2007, 02:48:35 AM

Sorry, but I don't think we should have to list the developer part at all, let alone being as exact as MobyGames. They're just supposed to be one-lined, personal ratings, right? Why not keep it simple?

Not that developers don't matter, but I think more people would do this the less research and hassle free you make it. It'd be better if someone could just list a game they have off the top of their head and have that be enough.

My two cents.  smiley
schild
Administrator

Reply #41 on: April 24, 2007, 03:06:45 AM

Well, if people really don't want to put developer, they don't have to I suppose. It's mostly there so people can look up other games they liked by the same developer and find something they might've missed.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #42 on: April 24, 2007, 03:48:11 AM

You really liked Portable Ops? I couldn't get around the awful controls and camera.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #43 on: April 24, 2007, 03:50:28 AM

I thought the controls were more awful on the PS2. Honestly I don't like the controls anywhere, but for some reason I adapted to the PS3 ones really easily, mostly since every 3D PSP game has shitty controls.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #44 on: April 24, 2007, 09:33:46 AM

Is it just me, or is there an issue with your download link? I get a zipfile full of .xml docs when i click it.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: April 24, 2007, 09:44:30 AM

Eh? Is that how an ODS is structured? It might be. If you have open office though, you should be able to open it in the document editing portion.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #46 on: April 24, 2007, 10:36:16 AM

How should we handle expansions? Especially ones that are kind of necessary to finishing a story (Baldur's Gate 2's Throne of Bhaal  for instance).

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: April 24, 2007, 10:50:31 AM

Hmm.

Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal [XPAC]

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #48 on: April 24, 2007, 11:31:10 AM

So you would prefer a separate entry for expansions, instead of packing them with the core game?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #49 on: April 24, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Yea, because some expansions are dogshit.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Game Collection Idea  
Jump to: