Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:48:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Tabula Rasa Beta Signup 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tabula Rasa Beta Signup  (Read 12642 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 05, 2007, 02:55:58 PM

I've long held their biggest challenges haven't much to do with the gameplay. I think it's still on schedule for this year, Fall-ish. But given all of the business challenges for NC, I give it a 50% chance of being cancelled. Which would be a shame.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 07, 2007, 09:45:33 AM

TR is NC's great white hope, they've invested way too much to cancel it. There's a 0% chance of cancellation.

That doesn't mean they won't cut their losses quickly if it doesn't immediately turn out great numbers. But it will be released.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 07, 2007, 09:57:23 AM

I don't think it's going to turn out big numbers; unless it turns out to be so well done with so much content and extraordinarilly engaging gameplay.  It seems like too 'smart' of a game for most MMOer's these days.  As much as WoW did for the MMO market, it's a 'dumb' game.  Seems most people have been conditioned to be led by the hand through their experience; which is not so much different out here in the really real world. 

I'll try it out, in lieu of getting into beta.  And I'll give it an honest shot.

At least it's not elves.

TR and Stargate Worlds are the two MMOs on my watchlist right now.  Firefly has (sadly) dropped off my radar.  I don't even care what BioWare is doing anymore.  Which is probably a good thing, since chances are it's elves / fantasy / dragons. 
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #38 on: May 07, 2007, 11:02:48 AM

TR would really benefit from a system that allowed n00bs to participate along side vets from the beginning. This is what the diku system has only partially succeeded in addressing in City of Heroes/Villains. Level 1 space rangers (or whatever they will be called) should be able to damage giant aliens alongside the level 20 space rangers without a mentoring/exemplar system.

I have never played WoW.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 07, 2007, 01:09:58 PM

From what I've heard from the PR fluff (I'm not in the beta) that's actually the case. If you play very carefully and tactically, choosing your cover and weapon type wisely, you can be effective against challenges far above your level, and can usefully contribute to a higher level group. It's not just up/down-leveling like CoX's mentoring, player skill is actually a factor. And that's pretty cool.

Anyone know what that "dumb" vs "smart" game blather means?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 07, 2007, 01:17:39 PM

Can't comment on that, sorry :(

As to cancellation, while they've spent a lot of time and money on it, they need to believe they'll make much more than that back for the expenses of launching and ongoing hosting. It'd be hard to cancel this one for sure, but I question whether NC sees this as their next big hope. Lots can happen.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 07, 2007, 02:33:28 PM

Of course nobody expects anyone to break NDA, but the game's still in the first phase of closed beta so even if the PR fluff isn't implemented yet, there's still hope.

Anyway, TR is certainly their biggest announced game for the next year or so. Guild wars 2 is next, but that's quite a way off.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #42 on: May 07, 2007, 06:45:12 PM

TR is NC's great white hope, they've invested way too much to cancel it. There's a 0% chance of cancellation.
Actually I would think Aion is their great white hope though for the NA-market TR has better name recognition because Richard Garriott is associated with it.

Hopefully NCsoft learned from the boondoggle that is/was Auto Assault and will not release TR until it is actually, you know, fun to play and also not a buggy PoC.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 08, 2007, 08:19:21 AM

I agree with both of you. For 2007 TR is their major effort in NA. For global I'd agree it's Aion.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #44 on: May 08, 2007, 08:25:25 AM

Every month that passes means just that many more people who know who Richard Garriot is either die or go senile, so they need to hurry.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 08, 2007, 08:29:05 AM

Bleh.
Wanted to update my 'puter info, but no way to do it...

Ah well. 
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #46 on: May 08, 2007, 08:45:51 PM

Every month that passes means just that many more people who know who Richard Garriot is either die or go senile, so they need to hurry.

Actually I'd venture that that is working to their advantage. After all, I'd rate his chances of attracting customers by making another good game as being higher than his chances of attracting customers drawn to his Everyman sensibilities.

Quick my liege! Andy Taylor has left Duran Duran again, now comes ye chance to take up thy lute and rocketh!

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
WayAbvPar

Reply #47 on: May 09, 2007, 02:01:50 PM

He sure is a fancy lad.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 09, 2007, 02:13:39 PM

Damn kids broke into my castle again!

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 15, 2007, 04:37:13 PM

slight necro...

Hearing good things about TR.  Any news on more beta invites going out soon?
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: May 15, 2007, 04:40:15 PM

Once again. I ALWAYS let people know when there are betas. Comeon now. You know better than to even ask.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #51 on: May 15, 2007, 04:47:08 PM

I'm pretty sure he was asking when NCSoft was going to send out another wave.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 15, 2007, 04:49:21 PM

Once again. I ALWAYS let people know when there are betas. Comeon now. You know better than to even ask.

I know.  But that wasn't really what I was asking.

I'm pretty sure he was asking when NCSoft was going to send out another wave.

Bingo.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #53 on: May 15, 2007, 05:30:15 PM

I'm always around to let people know about the ones no one wants to play.   smiley  It's my thing.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #54 on: May 15, 2007, 06:08:28 PM

I recently received an email indicating that they were still doing a Friends and Family beta, and had decided to extend it a bit.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Tabula Rasa Beta Signup  
Jump to: