Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:00:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Looting in PVP 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looting in PVP  (Read 63533 times)
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: February 22, 2007, 09:50:28 AM

This thread has devolved into pure stupidity. 

Not that the whole topic wasn't retarded to begin with.  Looting of items that players consider worthwhile just isn't going happen.

Tell that to the guy I looted a Covert Ops II cloak off of in Eve.

Next.

I think he implicitly means: "Looting of items that players consider worthwhile just isn't going to happen _without their consent_."  That guy you looted could have avoided your attacks by staying out of low sec space, no?
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: February 22, 2007, 10:01:20 AM

Not that the whole topic wasn't retarded to begin with.  Looting of items that players consider worthwhile just isn't going happen.

Next.

I think he implicitly means: "Looting of items that players consider worthwhile just isn't going to happen _without their consent_."  That guy you looted could have avoided your attacks by staying out of low sec space, no?

That, and Eve is a horrible example, since the orignal publisher (Simon and Schulster?) lost so much money on Eve that they sold it back to CCP for pennies on the dollar.  Eve may be profitable ongoing, but it's going to be a long long time before they ever make back the original investment.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: February 22, 2007, 10:08:43 AM

Next.

That, and Eve is a horrible example, since the orignal publisher (Simon and Schulster?) lost so much money on Eve that they sold it back to CCP for pennies on the dollar.  Eve may be profitable ongoing, but it's going to be a long long time before they ever make back the original investment.
Dude, they just bought White Wolf. Their original publisher lost money because they cut their losses -- probably a good idea for them at the time. CCP has shown that to be a mistake, and is making quite good money if they can afford to acquire White Wolf.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: February 22, 2007, 10:32:48 AM

You miss the point.

Investors are not going to look at Eve-Onilne and say what a great model for investement.  If anything they will say "Hey look, yet another PvP MMORPG where the initial investment was written off"

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: February 22, 2007, 10:49:42 AM

You miss the point.

Investors are not going to look at Eve-Onilne and say what a great model for investement.  If anything they will say "Hey look, yet another PvP MMORPG where the initial investment was written off"
True. But hopefully some of the Dev house and Publishers will also say "Although it appears a dedicated approach to gameplay can overcome initial handicaps. Perhaps we should keep that in mind as we develop".
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #285 on: February 22, 2007, 11:07:16 AM

Next.

Nope, he could have been popped in a gate camp in the highest security system in the game.

Regardless, I responded to what he wrote, then you come in and say 'well what he really meant was' ... he can speak for himself, and has. If you don't like my views then fine, but please don't tell me what other people mean when they post.

Either way, anyone that thinks CCP isn't doing well for themselves must really hate us PVPers :) Anytime the game is considered a successful MMO PVP game people claim "well noone is even out in 0.0". Without the PVP conflict the economy would not even exist for the PvE side to make money at, thus no reason for them to play (because frankly, the PVE in the game is pretty lame). Its PVP. Conquer the market, or kill off your foes and take their space...anyone that thinks otherwise really needs to take a step back from the pipe.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: February 22, 2007, 11:30:09 AM

Nope, he could have been popped in a gate camp in the highest security system in the game.

Regardless, I responded to what he wrote, then you come in and say 'well what he really meant was' ... he can speak for himself, and has. If you don't like my views then fine, but please don't tell me what other people mean when they post.

Either way, anyone that thinks CCP isn't doing well for themselves must really hate us PVPers :) Anytime the game is considered a successful MMO PVP game people claim "well noone is even out in 0.0". Without the PVP conflict the economy would not even exist for the PvE side to make money at, thus no reason for them to play (because frankly, the PVE in the game is pretty lame). Its PVP. Conquer the market, or kill off your foes and take their space...anyone that thinks otherwise really needs to take a step back from the pipe.
CCP did a good job of getting the PKs, the anti-PKs, the griefers, the traders, the craftards, and the carebears to all pull together -- by offering them a game system that interconnected (through the economy) without really requiring one to partake in any of the other playstyles.

Pure PvE'rs run missions in Empire. PvE's of the type that roll on WoW PvP servers run their PvE missions or rat in corp-controlled low-sec. PvPer's roll in merc corps or aggressive corps, and pirates and solo-gankers have their gate camps and daring raids into one corp-controlled area or another. And the PK's even have the big carrot -- they can gank the peaceful Empire-only trader -- it's just damn hard and the trader has a decent chance of surviving. It's a good trade-off between protecting the carebear and allowing the griefer.

And with the economy, it all works together rather than being a dozen seperate games. In a lot of ways, it's very much a Koster-style game. UO done right. In space. :)
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: February 22, 2007, 12:08:32 PM

Are you so retarded you can't figure out the difference between "I THINK what he means" and "What he meant was"?

Either way, anyone that thinks CCP isn't doing well for themselves must really hate us PVPers :)

I'm sure they're doing just fine, but they do that by not allowing full unrestricted PvP.  There's "safe zones" (even if they're not 100% safe, they're close enough) that players don't need to venture out of. 

Rithrin
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: February 22, 2007, 03:27:47 PM

I'm sure they're doing just fine, but they do that by not allowing full unrestricted PvP.  There's "safe zones" (even if they're not 100% safe, they're close enough) that players don't need to venture out of.

And I think that right there is what it is about EVE that makes PvP'ers so happy. There's no place at all you can go to be 100% safe from other players you've pissed off. They may be damn near invulnerable in certain areas, but with enough effort they can bring the fight anywhere. Which makes the PvP'ers happy (They can kill anyone) and the PvE'ers happy (It'll be damn hard to kill them in "safe space").
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 03:34:57 PM by Rithrin »

The sweetest wine comes from the grapes of victory.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Looting in PVP  
Jump to: