Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:00:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Good presentation by the Guild Wars guys 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good presentation by the Guild Wars guys  (Read 2686 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

on: September 08, 2007, 07:49:46 AM

http://www.guildwars.com/events/tradeshows/gc2007/gcspeech.php

Setting aside the fact that Guild Wars 1 is essentially a complete and total also ran creatively this is pretty spot on about what people need to do to succeed in an evolving MMO market.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 07:51:34 AM

Also ran that sold 4 million boxes...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 12:51:08 PM

Britney Spears sold a ton of CDs. That doesn't make her creative. That's what I meant. It sure as shit sold boxes but it was Diablo with shitty loot.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 12:56:51 PM

Actually the problem was it wasn't diablo AND it had shitty loot.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 01:08:06 PM

Regardless of whether or not you think it sucks it's certainly not an also ran when the expansions continue to sell like hotcakes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 01:17:42 PM

Regardless of whether or not you think it sucks it's certainly not an also ran when the expansions continue to sell like hotcakes.

Oh, I definitely wouldn't call it "also-ran" but I would call it hella-disappointing - even if I have the original and second two expansions in collector's flavor.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 02:01:42 PM

I think Schild hit hit on the head.  In GW the loot os meaningless for the most part and the combat is vanilla.  I don't want loot to be what the game is about, but if you're going to go to the trouble of having loot in the first place you may as well make it something to peak interest.  Once a character is geared up there's almost no point in even having drops. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 02:49:59 PM

I could never get into GW. I love the art and world design, I appreciate what they did with the card battle type skill systems, and I love the subscriptionless business model, but it lacks that certain something... it never hooked me. I'd buy an expansion, play for 5 hours, then never log in again. I can't quite nail down what it was missing. It wasn't endgame advancement, because I never managed to get over level 7. I never felt that urge to log back in and play.

Anyway, that presentation was dead on; Strain understands the industry. Can't disagree with a word he said.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 04:58:04 PM

Britney Spears sold a ton of CDs. That doesn't make her creative. That's what I meant. It sure as shit sold boxes but it was Diablo with shitty loot.

It makes her incredibly fucking successfull, not an also ran.

I am the .00000001428%
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 05:07:16 PM

I fail to see why I'm being misunderstood here. I said an also ran CREATIVELY.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 05:25:26 PM

Quote from: from Strain's text
Sometimes designs endure and genres emerge for good reason, and arbitrarily changing things that work just so you can label your game as innovative can lead to failure as quickly as producing a generic also-ran.

I chuckled when I read this, mainly because of how closely Guild Wars resembles it, and also because of how it was used in this thread.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 05:45:13 PM

Talking the talk but not precisely walking the walk. Remember when Guild Wars was supposed to be a predominately pvp game, where balance was king?

I always buy the expansions since me and my friends play the game an a post-expansion month long spurt but this latest one has NO pvp content and most of the skills as far as I can tell are pve only. Environments, beautiful as always. Story, written by one of the dev's five year olds as always except maybe even worse this time around.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Good presentation by the Guild Wars guys  
Jump to: