Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:47:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: FFXI introduces Pokemon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FFXI introduces Pokemon  (Read 3878 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

on: September 04, 2007, 02:02:57 PM

Short version: capture monsters, level them up and have them fight against rival poke-trainers. Should be interesting.

Stinging Sophie I choose you!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 02:11:21 PM

How much of this is dependent on participating in the soul crushing level grind?

-Rasix
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 02:29:11 PM

I have no idea. You need access to the newest expansion areas and you have to be able to capture the monsters, but you can capture them without fighting them. I've actually never been to the newest expansion areas but I think you can go there at fairly low levels.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 02:46:44 PM

The new guild wars expansion has something very similar. I guess there are only so many minigames in the world.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

It would be much more interesting if you could have your Pokemon fight with you in the game world allowing to actually solo.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 09:14:17 PM

It would be much more interesting if you could have your Pokemon fight with you in the game world allowing to actually solo.

Just get five Taru Taru as teammates. They're cuter than pokemons to begin with.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 12:12:09 PM

Just get five Taru Taru as teammates. They're cuter than pokemons to begin with.

<Eat> <Galka> <Meat>
<Eat> <Galka> <Meat>
<Eat> <Galka> <Meat>

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 12:25:43 PM

We had this back in UO.

The Mongbat Fighting League... you'd tame a mongbat (no difficult task) and then train it against other mongbats. Eventually it could take such threats as sparrows and (it is rumored) chickens. Then you'd find and challenge other mongbat trainers to duels.

Good times.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 02:11:04 PM

A while ago NPCs were introduced, you can call them to fight with you.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 04:57:26 PM

Does that mean you can solo now?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 05:30:22 PM

It depends a lot on your class and level and such. Solo strategies are much more refined than they were a few years ago. That said, partying is still more efficient, although smaller parties can do pretty well.

The "perfect party" syndrome is not nearly as bad as it once was either.

CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 06:15:31 AM

We had this back in UO.

The Mongbat Fighting League... you'd tame a mongbat (no difficult task) and then train it against other mongbats. Eventually it could take such threats as sparrows and (it is rumored) chickens. Then you'd find and challenge other mongbat trainers to duels.

Good times.

We would fight chickens. They had 2hp and only did 1dmg... so no-one would ever win.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 06:38:32 AM

Doesn't EQ2 have something like this as well?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 08:04:48 AM

Doesn't EQ2 have something like this as well?

Yeah, they had a Desert of Flames arena where you could train a monster, but he was also a piece of furniture in your house or something.

But I also remember that you could fight in the arena as yourself under certain circumstances (?).

I don't have all the details, but i'd like to think that it's like Pokemans: FIRE BEETLE EDITION.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 09:00:37 AM

I want to hear what the Grunk thinks about this.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 01:19:13 PM

We had this back in UO.

Good times.

Did you ever have people cheat and tame a super rare Mongbat Lord (the ones that looked like mongbats, not the wierd human NPC)? THose things were tough as hell... it was liek fighting a Bone Knight.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 01:42:47 PM

If only XI took place in VII's world and ditched their 'repeated punches in the balls' job leveling system for materia.  It would've steamrolled WoW and the Square people would all be living in money mansions now.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 07:15:41 PM

You've been able to do this in CoH ever since they introduced arenas.

Only instead of using Pokeballs your monster roster is linked to certain in-game accomplishments, and you build armies on a point-buy system and control them with Mastermind commands.

I don't think anybody ever uses it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 07:19:52 PM

Only badge hunters.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 07:55:37 PM

CoH/V's gladiator system is buggy and unbalanced. It can be fun, but it can just as easily be a complete waste of time.

My favourite bug was a desync bug that caused a mirror image of my team to appear, kick the living crap out of my original team and beat every other opponent, then stand around me glaring.

That bug should have been fixed by now - I really should go back for the badges.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: FFXI introduces Pokemon  
Jump to: