Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:35:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Australia Clamps down on MMO's? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Australia Clamps down on MMO's?  (Read 7466 times)
LK
Terracotta Army

on: February 03, 2009, 03:16:44 PM

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:18:40 PM

Might as well have just posted it in the WoW recruitment thread. Ohhhhh, I see.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:17:04 PM

Not sure if this has been posted before

Australia,  February 3, 2009 - In a shocking move this morning, the Sydney Morning Herald has reported that Australian retailers will no longer be allowed to sell any online game that has not been classified by the Australian Classification Board.

This move directly affects games such as World of Warcraft, Warrhammer Online, Age of Conan and Pirates of the Burning Seas – titles that don't contain a single-player experience, and therefore did not apply for classification. The previous understanding was that online games were a social experience that fell outside of traditional classifications – a loophole that the Classifications Board want stitched up.

According to the report, a spokesperson for NSW Attorney-General John Hatzistergos said the NSW Classification Enforcement Act prohibited publishers and retailers from selling unclassified computer games. The spokesperson also encouraged individuals to report any retailer or individual found operating outside of the Classification Act of 1995.

"The NSW legislation covers computer games bought online as well as those bought in stores, and treats single, multi-player and online games the same way," he said.

Australian police will be responsible for enforcing the penalties, which range from $1100 to $11,000 for individuals and/or 12 months' imprisonment, and approximately double those figures for corporations.

We've contacted Activision Blizzard for further comment. Please check back shortly as this story continues to develop.

Source: IGN http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/950/950795p1.html

Also found the original source where IGN got the info: http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/biztech/no-classification-online-games-legal-minefield/2009/02/03/1233423203018.html

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 06:30:58 PM

Ok, which one of you jerks PK'd the PM's grandson?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 07:05:03 PM

Seems pretty straightforward. I don't know what Australia uses, but ESRB just gives a rating with the blanket "online interactions not rated by the ESRB" statement. There's definitely a baseline rating that can be given an MMO, as long as the Board plays with the chat channels off  awesome, for real
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 07:48:09 PM

Hilariously, this appears to have all been started by a Massively article.

Somewhere down the line it became common wisdom that OFLC (our classification board) didn't need to check online only games, or MMOs, or something. Then Massively did a bit of digging, talked to some people and someone looked back at the rules to discover that yes, MMOs sold through retail channels really do need to be classified.

Hilarity ensues.

EDIT: should have read the article, which mentions the Massively link at the bottom.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:50:58 PM by UnSub »

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 11:51:06 PM

Massively killed the MMO industry in Australia?  Tale, you've officially been one-upped. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 12:56:39 AM

Merged teh two threads and dropping it in mmog disc.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 12:59:30 AM

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, since the people running any of our "sophisticated technology" sectors are literally retarded, 100% of the time.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 12:31:19 PM

yea... it's a shame... now people will be forced to order the game over the internet, get the game cheaper and avoid paying local taxes. Good Job John Hatzistergos, you just cost your government millions in tax dollars!!
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 12:52:18 PM

yea... it's a shame... now people will be forced to order the game over the internet, get the game cheaper and avoid paying local taxes. Good Job John Hatzistergos, you just cost your government millions in tax dollars!!

Not if we force isp's to block mmog's!

And then, as we awaken from our mmog inspired stupor, we find a world ripe for conquest...
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 01:00:04 PM

Not if we force isp's to block mmog's!

And then, as we awaken from our mmog inspired stupor, we find a world ripe for conquest...

lol... ever heard of a proxy?
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 03:14:59 PM

Proxy's are for terrorists and pedophiles.  ISP level net filtering is the future.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 03:21:13 PM

Time to learn a new phrase:  Stateful Packet Inspection.

Enjoy your application level filers.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 03:22:45 PM by Oban »

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 04:29:02 PM

Not really.

Most physical distribution into Australia takes a good while from the US / Europe, if they'll do it at all. Digital distribution would probably be unaffected due to the law stated in the article. Alternatively I can probably import from New Zealand if it is released there. Also: Australians have been charged local rates for titles they can download through places like Steam, which doesn't make it any cheaper.

As for box sales, the local distributors will just flip it to the OFLC to classify. AoC is the only title that might breach the MA15+ rating, but I can get that via digital distribution anyway.

pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 04:58:16 PM

Meh, storm in a teacup imo.  Distributors thought they had a loophole to avoid being rated, appaears they won't, so they need to get rated.  BFD.

The gubmint's stupid plans for the Great Firewall of Canberra, and SA's attorney-generals stupid stance of 'Video games are only for children and mentally unstable people, and thus there shouldn't be a R-18 rating for games' are far more worth of scorn and  Mob
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 06:14:05 PM

It's all moot anyway.  Another summer like this and we'll all be living in Bartertown.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 08:34:46 PM

You should come live in America.
Comfort is yours in America.
Knobs on the doors in America.
Wall-to-wall floors in America.

Srsly.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 08:44:23 PM

You should come live in America.
Comfort is yours in America.
Knobs on the doors in America.
Wall-to-wall floors in America.

Srsly.

Didn't you say in another thread you were packing to get out of the US?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 10:08:31 PM

Oh great.  Rules.  So now what I say in one thread has to match what I say in another thread.  Thanks for the pressure!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 12:49:54 AM

At this rate I'll have to return to WoW so I can play it illegally through the Great Firewall.

Also it's fucking hot here.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 04:10:58 AM

From Massively:

Even keeping unclassified games on the same premises "where classified computer games are sold or demonstrated" constitutes an offense according to the Enforcement Act.

Ouch. I don't seriously think they'll be enforcing this, though. We're not that crazy (I hope).

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 04:22:12 AM

They'll just pull the games off shelves, put them in boxes out the back and wait for the developer to post them some classification stickers.

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 04:36:57 AM

Yes, I realise that, but it's still technically illegal (according to the Massively article).

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 07:22:27 AM

Someone should do some research, contact the appropriate parties, and then write an article about why the Australian Government does not enforce the Enforcement Act.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 01:31:35 PM

Also it's fucking hot here.

Next article:
"Burning Legion invades, lack of preparation amongst Oz citizenry blamed"

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Australia Clamps down on MMO's?  
Jump to: