Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:53:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: NHL 09- Sports finally go MMOG 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 09- Sports finally go MMOG  (Read 19426 times)
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 02:47:39 PM

I need to get this immediately. I keep forgetting the games I'm going to trade in and I need to just say 'fuck it' and pick it up.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
WayAbvPar

Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 03:04:52 PM

Just knock over knock over a display or pile of games or something and stick a copy of it down the front of your pants in the commotion. Aren't you in Canada? I don't think they could even technically charge you with a crime for stealing a hockey game. It is your birthright!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 06:59:45 PM

Dude, they have stick lifts now...STICK LIFTS!!

Also, one-handed dekes, changing forward and D lines independently, the return of the flip dump...

Oh yeah, the Be a Pro mode. Full of Fucking Awesome.

I've also played the 2k9 version; complete trash.

This is GotY-type stuff again.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 08:00:15 AM

Just knock over knock over a display or pile of games or something and stick a copy of it down the front of your pants in the commotion. Aren't you in Canada? I don't think they could even technically charge you with a crime for stealing a hockey game. It is your birthright!

As long as I apologize after I steal it, it'll be ok.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 12, 2008, 11:32:31 AM

Never thought I would see an NHL thread in the mmo forum. I need more game impressions, don't know if I should spend money I don't have on this or not.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Strazos

Reply #40 on: September 12, 2008, 04:10:39 PM

Ok, here's one:

(single player BAP mode)

Made my player, fitted out his gear and such, chose "sniper" as his "class". Assigned him to the Flyers.

OH, but since I am a rank newb, and I don't have world-class stats yet, they assign me to the Phantoms, third line.

I do my best with my time there, trying to make every shift count, and try to take the coach's feedback into account (stay in position more, be more careful with the puck, etc). Recently, I've finally gotten myself promoted to the top line, to see what I can do. I'm getting a decent number of points early in the season, but I need to puck-hog less and not give it up as much.

It really is like being there...or at least as close as we can get currently. You ride the bench while resting, or angst while watching from the sin bin.

You could try renting it if you're still on the fence.

Besides BAP, there are other new gameplay features that have finally arrived, like fucking Stick Lifts (my personal favorite when playing RL hockey), flip dumps, changing D and forwards seperately....it's great.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Strazos

Reply #41 on: September 12, 2008, 05:01:30 PM

Already on the 2p2 team, nice.

Fear the Backstab!
WayAbvPar

Reply #42 on: September 16, 2008, 09:08:43 AM

Never thought I would see an NHL thread in the mmo forum. I need more game impressions, don't know if I should spend money I don't have on this or not.

I play it every chance I get. I am having so much fun playing the online games that my offline Be A Pro character is being neglected. Really cool thing about BAP online- you can respec whenever you want. Everything gets refunded, and you can spend the points again. I have gone from Power Forward to Playmaker to Sniper, and from RW to C to LW, depending on which of my teammates is online.

Also- I have GM powers for the 2p2 team, so holler if you get the game and want to join a team.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Strazos

Reply #43 on: September 29, 2008, 09:00:04 PM

UPDATE:

AWESOMESAUCE!!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Fear the Backstab!
WayAbvPar

Reply #44 on: October 02, 2008, 10:19:06 AM

I can't stop playing, despite some giant flaws in the online game. If EA patches it, I may have to quit my job and find a way to play for a living.

Strazos

Reply #45 on: October 03, 2008, 04:11:36 PM

I'm actually having a lot of fun analyzing the other team as we play, and finding the best methods to defend against them.

ALSO- been playing random team games when no 2p2 is online....puckhogs SUCK. As do brainless puck chasers. FFS, you don't need to dangle for a pointless shot from below the goal line every time you get the puck - GIVE IT TO THE GUY CAMPED OUT IN THE SLOT!!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Fear the Backstab!
Strazos

Reply #46 on: October 03, 2008, 08:07:38 PM

Wow, just played a 2p2 game....lit up a full squad 9-1, with my one teammate as a goalie.

The key? Good defense and Forecheck. It absolutely SHREDS sloppy everyone-chase-the-puck teams. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Fear the Backstab!
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 03, 2008, 08:11:04 PM

Should I be buying an Xbox 360 for this?

Is it really that great?

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Strazos

Reply #48 on: October 04, 2008, 12:50:59 AM

Does you be liking hockey?

Fear the Backstab!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 04, 2008, 05:38:41 PM

I'm not a big hockey fan but even I have to say that it is pretty compelling, at least the Be a Pro mode. I also enjoyed the same sort of thing in Power Pros. It does feel more personal and role-playing to just be one guy and stick with him on defense, on the bench, etc. Controlling one guy is just totally different from controlling a team. You spend 90% of your time doing stuff the computer normally does for you.

I'm going to finally get a personal 360 and maybe this game this weekend, might try to join up with some people.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Strazos

Reply #50 on: October 04, 2008, 06:42:26 PM

I'm finally getting the hang of playing Goalie...and it's scary fun when you get the hang of it.

Also makes opponents want to pull their hair out.

Fear the Backstab!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 04, 2008, 10:39:58 PM

Got in 3 or 4 games last night with my online team (we didn't win any, but they were close!). This is going to be really fun.

If you want to join the club, register at http://eashlforum.com and post in the recruitment forum. Mention that I invited you to join. The more the merrier, since we couldn't quite field a full team last night. Ideally we would have 3 or 3 games going at one time!

What is your team name? I am a total Live newb.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pig Destroyer
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 21, 2008, 06:38:07 AM

I can't stop playing, despite some giant flaws in the online game. If EA patches it, I may have to quit my job and find a way to play for a living.

Can I get an invite to the team?  Live name is GodlessEndeavor.  I am a n00b goalie, but I love it.

My knuckles are bleeding, on your front door...

~Pig Destroyer

http://www.wtfman.com
WayAbvPar

Reply #53 on: October 21, 2008, 12:48:37 PM

I will send one next time I log in. If I forget, msg me to remind me =)

Once you are on the team, please join up at http://www.eashlforum.com and use 2p2 Jopkers as your team. Lots of good info in the forums there, so take a look when you have time.

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 21, 2008, 07:58:11 PM

Finally picked this up the other day, I'm having a blast playing goal in single-player BAP. Going to have to stop being lazy and get my 360 back online so I can join in the festivities.

WayAbvPar

Reply #55 on: October 22, 2008, 03:26:33 PM

The more the merrier, especially if you are a good goalie. The team gets a ton more ranking points for using a human goalie, and it also eliminates the 'cheese goals' that are basically holes in the goalie AI.

Sent PigD an invite last night.

ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 22, 2008, 03:31:09 PM

Sounds cool

I have this weird feeling that 10 years down the line, nearly every single game will have qualities that we currently ascribe to MMOs. The social generation of games is going strong.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: October 22, 2008, 04:52:50 PM

The more the merrier, especially if you are a good goalie. The team gets a ton more ranking points for using a human goalie, and it also eliminates the 'cheese goals' that are basically holes in the goalie AI.

What if I'm a terrible goalie? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 23, 2008, 01:22:54 AM

I have this weird feeling that 10 years down the line, nearly every single game will have qualities that we currently ascribe to MMOs. The social generation of games is going strong.

This is exactly what happened with single player RPGs. Now nearly every game has "RPG elements" and the RPG genre itself doesn't have a whole lot to offer over other genres. If you want to buy new gear or gain levels or upgrade stats you can do that in half the games on the market.

leodido

Email
Reply #59 on: October 23, 2008, 02:45:43 AM

This looks awesome but I have no console, this game is going to be released on PC as well right???  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
WayAbvPar

Reply #60 on: October 24, 2008, 07:53:35 AM

What if I'm a terrible goalie? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Practice in the Online Community games- you get credit for games played and stats accumulated, but it doesn't hurt our already dismal record. Just take your headset off if your random teammates start bitching  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: NHL 09- Sports finally go MMOG  
Jump to: