Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:35:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Anyone heard of a game called Crysis before? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone heard of a game called Crysis before?  (Read 2367 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

on: November 15, 2006, 09:47:06 AM

Someone just linked this on my guild forums, thought I would share it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL5lkZvkRXQ

Supposedly it is one of the first Direct X 10 required games in the works.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 10:07:18 AM

From the guys who made Farcry. They've been showing the engine off since E3 of this year from what I remember.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 11:22:09 AM

It also gets constant knob-slobbing in CGW and it's new incarnation.  Sounds pretty cool, but I can't get too excited over more hyperbolic claims about AI and physics lately.  Might be worth a purchase just so I can pretend I'm Jesse Ventura, though.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 11:40:35 AM

If it's anything like Far Cry, it'll look amazing for the system specs. I'll also have to cheat to enjoy it. Far Cry was a great shooter....if it weren't for those goddamned trigens. It was one of those games where (in the levels vs humans, anyway), I'd repeatedly load up a save point to try different ways of fighting through areas.

Crysis is going to rock, but it looks like it'll put the hurt on the computer I haven't even built yet :)
yd
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 08:31:30 PM

The kind of AI / Physics advances we see in games today look a lot more attractive from a developer's perspective than to gamers, I think. I mean, being able to shoot up a tree or use it for cover sounds nice and all, but it won't make or break your game.

FarCry had an amazing feel to it; the graphics seemed to be a generation ahead of any other FPS out there, and the gameplay didn't suffer at all for it, in fact it was damn fun. This is what has people so excited about Crysis -- and, I think, rightfully so.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 07:16:25 AM

Doesn't make or break, no. But why settle for the LCD? I love every bell + whistle a dev can cram into a game? I don't even care if it directly impacts gameplay, polish and immersion are big factors in my opinion.

Mowing down saplings with a SAW? Oh hell yes.

Don't get me started on AI. AI advances are the most important thing in gaming today.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 07:38:59 AM

I really liked Far cry.  A very immersive little game that was only spoiled by the lack of decent AI, much like every other FPS.

I too agree that AI is the most important advance we have to look forward to.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 08:36:48 AM

Apparently Creative is having major issues with the gold version (well, all versions) of Vista, there is apparently little hope for much resolution by Vista launch, according to their CS rep. And EAX is going to be out in Vista, hardware accelleration is looking to be out as well. This is one of my major problems with Vista, and I've been waffling over whether to upgrade for dx10, as I'll be putting a dx10 card in my new system...but until they straighten out the audio stuff...I think I'll just have to stick with XP for a while.

So I hope they take a lot of time to polish Crysis :P
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 08:51:00 AM

Creative Labs truly is a blundering bunch of monkeyfuckers, aren't they?

geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 10:37:13 AM

They're full of themselves is what they are.  Just because they pioneered the Sound Blaster which was both the NVIDIA and ATI of the emerging sound card world, they seem to believe that ten years later they've the right to take up massive amounts of system resources to make their only sometimes hardware accelerated sound cards work. 

I buy creative because they're supposedly the top dogs in the business, but their pushy drivers often make me regret it.  I used to have an issue where my creative drivers would conflict with the motherboard's secondary hard drive controller, preventing Windows from booting unless I disabled it through the bios.  Lately, I had an issue where Phantasy Star Universe's Gameguard software would conflict with the CtHelper app (which refused to not be booted despite disabling it in msconfig), causing occational blue screens of death on shutting down my computer.  I ought to just be satisfied with the motherboard sound card, I think it even has EAX support, but there's something to be said for hardware accelerated sound.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 12:50:15 PM

I've tentatively specced a X-Fi for my new rig, but I'm not sure (thus tentative, I guess). I've got the Auzentech X-Plosion (iirc) in my machine now to replace my sweet, sweet Soundstorm onboard chip, but it's wicked buggy. Plays fine in CoV, fine 99.9% of the time in Gothic II (buzz around waterfalls), fine 99% of the time in BF2 (occasional buzz), and Oblivion is currently unplayable due to the buzz. By buzz I mean sawtooth waveform blasting full volume out of the speakers, killing kittens and making my ladyfriend bludgeon me mercilessly as she cleans herself up. Unplayable, so while I can mostly play Gothic and BF2, I don't like to with her (or kittens) around. And no Oblivion.

So I'm not real happy on the sound front, especially after so many years of flawless DD5.1 with Soundstorm. The mere possibilities of Creative problems in Vista has me unhappy. Not sure whether I should put the Auzentech card in and see if it works (and hassle with uninstalling if it doesn't) or just take the plung with an X-Fi (plus a goddamned home theater breakout box for DD5.1 motherlovincreativeshit)...Ya know, maybe I'll give the Auzentech a whirl. I'm even thinking of running Azalia onboard if I go with a kentsfield. Let core #3 run sound, dernit.

Why isn't sound important to people? I know not everyone is running a home theater setup like me (thus the need for optical DD5.1), but wtf.

/rant
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 06:04:40 PM

Apparently Creative is having major issues with the gold version (well, all versions) of Vista, there is apparently little hope for much resolution by Vista launch, according to their CS rep. And EAX is going to be out in Vista, hardware accelleration is looking to be out as well.
Microsoft, it its infinite wisdom, removed hardware acceleration for DirectSound 3D from Vista and they aren't emulating things like EAX in software. However games and cards that support OpenAL don't have this problem:

http://www.openal.org/openal_vista.html
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 08:06:17 AM

It's still kind of an f-u to gamers, imo. Are XP games even going to run under Vista? It sounds to me like I'll be dual booting my XP machine into Vista to play dx10 games. What a clusterfuck, I can't imagine I'm the only one who is upset. Or am I? Am I missing something or is this a colossal screwing?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Anyone heard of a game called Crysis before?  
Jump to: