Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:50:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Free Weekend 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Free Weekend  (Read 3806 times)
WayAbvPar

on: October 05, 2006, 02:02:20 PM

Got a mail the other day that my account is reactivated through the 8th to celebrate the new expansion or some such. Chances are pretty low that I will actually take them up on it, but in case I do-

Can I dl the updated client anywhere?
Who is still playing? Character names, levels, etc.
Does Bat Country still exist?

Most importantly-
Should I even bother?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 04:47:22 PM

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 10:29:15 PM

Hm. Did the system requierements  go way up since I last played in february ?

I recently bought a new graphic card (radeon 9550) and the game runs like shit. I reinstalled the whole client, so I think the detail/shadow/shader andwhatnotsettings are something to tweak, but last time I played, the game ran just fine ... (with an 4 year old Geforce (4,TI I think)

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 10:40:46 PM

Yes they did.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 10:49:58 PM

When City of Villains was released there was a major graphics engine upgrade that, yes, made the game run like crap on several systems.  However, you can reverse some of the damage by tweaking graphics settings.  Particularly, the Bloom, Depth of Field, and Anti-Aliasing effects should be turned off.  If all else fails, tweak the 3D render resolution.  Also, the CoV city has a heavier polygon count than CoH

I can get it to be playable enough on my Radeon 9800 Pro.  Still COX makes me wish I could afford an uber dual core system with a couple of souped up 3D cards running in SLI more than any other game right now.  CoX even supports Ageia physics cards where I don't think any other MMORPG does, but I think that'll turn out to be a fad just as soon as everybody figures out that's what dual cores are for.

Oh, make sure you're running ATI drivers that are either before 6.8 or are 6.10 or later, because there was a CoX performance issue in between.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 10:51:39 PM by geldonyetich »

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 11:59:23 PM

When City of Villains was released there was a major graphics engine upgrade that, yes, made the game run like crap on several systems.  However, you can reverse some of the damage by tweaking graphics settings.  Particularly, the Bloom, Depth of Field, and Anti-Aliasing effects should be turned off.  If all else fails, tweak the 3D render resolution.  Also, the CoV city has a heavier polygon count than CoH
The fun part is, that CoV ran just fine when I last played it, but the game grounded to a halt with the standard settings after I reinstalled and entered Mercy Island.

Oh, make sure you're running ATI drivers that are either before 6.8 or are 6.10 or later, because there was a CoX performance issue in between.
I think I have the latest drivers installed, but I will have a look after I got home.

Thanks to both of you.  Heart

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 05:56:33 AM

Full-screen antialiasing is terribly, terribly incompatible with ATI rendering. Single-digit frame rate incompatible. The other stuff is alright, though.

I can get it to be playable enough on my Radeon 9800 Pro.  Still COX makes me wish I could afford an uber dual core system with a couple of souped up 3D cards running in SLI more than any other game right now.  CoX even supports Ageia physics cards where I don't think any other MMORPG does, but I think that'll turn out to be a fad just as soon as everybody figures out that's what dual cores are for.
And CoX also supports dual-core processors, making PhysX even _more_ of a ripoff than it already is.

--GF
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 06:10:57 AM

Wait, you're saying that it used to run fine in CoV but now it doesn't?

Cause to my knowledge, CoV hasn't had its graphics updated since release.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 07:11:33 AM

Dual-cores are so September. Kentsfield ftw! :)

I was thinking of playing a bit this weekend, but I probably won't have time. Knowing it'll probably massacre my system doesn't help much, either...
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 09:17:48 AM

They made some kind of tweaks at some point.  My machine ran at CoV release just fine.  After Issue 6 or 7, CoH started playing like crap, then when I tried playing again a few months ago they both made my system spaz out.  I managed to change my settings to where it is not so bad, however they have to be much, much lower than they used to be for both.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 02:48:25 PM

Full-screen antialiasing is terribly, terribly incompatible with ATI rendering. Single-digit frame rate incompatible. The other stuff is alright, though.
I'll keep that in mind, the game plays almost as good as before now.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 10:55:48 PM

Bleh, wish I had seen this sooner. I would have reloaded to see my DM/SR Scrapper and my Blaster again.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 06:44:47 PM

Bleh, wish I had seen this sooner. I would have reloaded to see my DM/SR Scrapper and my Blaster again.
Sorry.  I did post about it in the Good and Evil thread, but no one really seemed to notice. :(

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Free Weekend  
Jump to: