Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:37:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Random PC Slowdown - Help? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random PC Slowdown - Help?  (Read 1432 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

on: October 06, 2006, 11:22:53 AM

My buddy asked me to look at his computer. I can't figure out what's wrong. I haven't ran a check on the HD yet, but it's weird. There's random OS slow down (100% CPU usage, but nothing using that much load) and then there's random, what I think is, graphics issues. Loading up BF2 or Guild Wars yields something like ~10 FPS or less. What's weird about that is Prey runs perfectly fine at about 30 FPS.

He has a Pentium 4 3GHZ in it. I don't know if it's dual core or what. Windows is useless for hardware info.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting steps?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 06:55:45 PM

Having something that's consuming 100% of CPU but not showing up in Task Manager is worrisome. You should download Process Explorer and use that to check to see what might be taking up all the CPU. Under Options crank up the "Difference Highlight Duration" so you can see very short lived processes starting and stopping.

You should also install something that can monitor CPU temperatures. His CPU may be overheating and throttling itself down.

He has a Pentium 4 3GHZ in it. I don't know if it's dual core or what. Windows is useless for hardware info.
I believe the dual-core Pentium 4s identify themselves as "Pentium D" though I could be worng.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 08:03:24 PM

You should also install something that can monitor CPU temperatures. His CPU may be overheating and throttling itself down.

Bingo. It was throttling down cause it was excessively overheating. When I looked closer it would seem he managed to get the light dust off the heatsink, but there was some thick shit caked into the fins. Had to wash it all out and it managed to clog my sink. That and the thermal paste was barely there. Runs perfectly fine now.

Thanks Trippy!

F13 Feedback: Great helper! Would ask for help from again! A+++++
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 10:34:56 PM

He should be glad he didn't have an AMD, as they'll heat up until they simply melt.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 10:38:40 PM

He should be glad he didn't have an AMD, as they'll heat up until they simply melt.
That's only the Athlon (XP) not the Athlon 64 and only if your motherboard didn't have a CPU thermal sensor (which unfortunately was many if not most MBs).
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 10:45:34 PM

Oh, the new AMDs clock themselves down? Nice.

My Ahtlon XP would have killed itself if not for my Asus mobo stepping in. Just another reason to pay for premium parts.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 10:55:24 AM

At work we always use ASUS mobos for our rack servers and they are by far most reliable. As long as you are not on the 'cutting edge' ASUS delivers solid and reliable perfomance. I belive that MB should be the last place where you should go cheap.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Random PC Slowdown - Help?  
Jump to: