Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:13:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: How about that WW2 Game, City of Duty 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How about that WW2 Game, City of Duty  (Read 4661 times)
andar
Terracotta Army

on: September 20, 2006, 11:49:58 AM

Certainly you all have heard of that game Company of Heroes? 

Sure, it's got one of the worst names for a game--a generic one, but it is one of the best RTS's (strategy? tactics? whats the difference) I've played and I've played them all.

From the creators of Warhammer 40k comes a game better than Warhammer.  It's the sleekest, most detailed, tactical and visceral RTS of all time.  It has the atmosphere of Call of Duty, but fortunately manages to be fairly innovative.  It deemphasizes the economy in a way that people have been longing for since Starcraft.  It's also been getting great reviews from every place that gives reviews and has one posted.  But since you all hate places like ign and gamespy, why take their word for it?  Check it out; it deserves at least a look--relic needs more attention dammit!  even if PC gaming is dying  Heartbreak
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 11:54:47 AM

I am more tired of WWII than I am of elves and dwarves.  Sorry.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 12:15:57 PM

I am more tired of WWII than I am of elves and dwarves.  Sorry.

And moles. I'm tired of the mole digging up my lawn.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 12:34:10 PM

Well.....I'm tired of WW2 as well, but there aren't as many WW2 RTS's as FPS's at least (maybe I'm wrong there). And Dawn of War wasn't bad either.

It could be fun, but I'm a bit strapped at the moment. Maybe next month.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 12:50:28 PM

Can the game be paused while you issue orders?

I hate RTS, worst genre ever...unless you can make it pseudo-TBS by pause-and-order (like Freedom Force, for instance).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 12:58:33 PM

Well, like the man said, they take out a lot of the stress you'd get from economy related actions. Like DoW, you'll concentrate on combat. I highly doubt there's "pause", but it's an RTS with less micro. You'd probably get more enjoyment out of it than other RTS's.

[edit] Did you like Total War at least?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 01:00:47 PM by Stray »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 02:07:20 PM

I only played Rome for a few minutes on a buddy's machine. Maybe you couldn't pause and issue orders.

I'm serious, though. If I can't pause and give orders, I don't play :)

I do wish Silent Storm supported widescreen, that game seemed cool, but clunky and not widescreen friendly :(
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 02:20:51 PM

I'm kind of tired of RTS in general and WW2 as well. That said it has been getting uniformly rave reviews. My interest in the entire genre is just dead though.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 02:21:26 PM

I only played Rome for a few minutes on a buddy's machine. Maybe you couldn't pause and issue orders.

I'm serious, though. If I can't pause and give orders, I don't play :)

I do wish Silent Storm supported widescreen, that game seemed cool, but clunky and not widescreen friendly :(

You couldn't pause in Total War, correct. But it did seperate non combat management from the rest of the game.

Just wondering if you still liked it, since this game probably isn't much different than that or Dawn of War. Still an RTS, but not an RTS like C&C or SC. Seperating the battle part of a game from all of the other stuff can allow more room for tactical thinking for people who otherwise wouldn't like RTS's.

If they had "pause" then they wouldn't be real time at all though. And if it's the idea of real time itself that you're dead set against, it's definitely not the game for you.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 02:23:02 PM by Stray »
WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 02:30:12 PM

RTS is a Satanic plot to keep all the Ritalin-starved click-frenzied fucktards occupied while he and Saddam take over the world.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 02:42:22 PM

You couldn't pause in Total War, correct.

Yes, you can. And the non-combat bits were all turn-based.

andar
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 02:43:33 PM

You can indeed pause and give orders--and many people seem to need it against the viscious AI.  Fortunately you can play LAN games with only one copy of the game, and you don't even need the disk in to play.  Makes it easy to play with your less cheating less responsive friends..

Plus there's nothing like starforce on it
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 02:52:41 PM

Crap. Not that I don't believe you guys, but I don't remember seeing a pause feature, let alone remember a time that I ever used it.

I feel stupid now (though I do know that the non combat parts were turn based...can't mistake that).

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 04:28:13 PM

I'm with sky.

And although you could pause in R:TW.. the cheating AI killed the game for me in less than 3 hours.  Considering the somewhat nice Turn-based segments I was dissapointed.

I want a legitimate, quality MOM sequal, though, so I'm used to living with eternal dissapointment.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 05:56:07 AM

R:TW was playable without playing the combats as well. I played it as a TBS, never once seeing a battlefield.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 09:28:51 PM

How abou a link so I can check it out?  Never get tired of dubbya dubbya two.  :-D

Yeah I'm lazy, drunk too so neener.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 08:42:08 AM

andar
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 01:57:54 PM

Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 03:27:19 PM

This games actually been quite abit of fun.Not alot of micro at all.It still suffers from some of the standard problems of the genre,like if you place some heavy weapons in a bad spot they will pummel the hell out of your own fortifications,or clicking a move order if you don't watch your troops they will take the shortest route even if that route is through a heavily fortified enemy encampment.

I'm not to sure yet on the AI in this tho,sometimes they fall into old patterns where I've found a main supply route and have set up machine gun/AT crossfire points and they turn after turn try to run it and get slaughtered,then other times they use pretty good tactics like swinging in behind me through a small gap in a hedgerow line i had missed and coming in behind my fortifications to overrun the position.

Your troops AI I have found much better then in most RTS,when your troops come under fire they either try to find some form of near-by cover or drop prone,except rangers,for some reason these suicidal troops rush head long into what evers attacking them.

Snipers ,as in most games with them, are way way over powered.The biggest problem with them is the AI doesn't seem to know how to deal with them.I can run in with a sniper take out an enemy AT or mortar team and they just sit there and die.They do usually send in a squad to see what's happening but unless I've misjudged and gotten too close they just sit there and get slaughtered along with the crew at most they dive around trying to find cover.

If you like RTS and aren't sick to death of WW2 it's worth the price of a copy.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 04:05:40 PM

My favourite WW2 game is still the indie Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord. It looked dated even when it was released in 2000, but the combination of strategy and raw action (get down there in the foxholes while your men are being shelled) was genius.

Info: http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmbo/cmbo.html

Demo: http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmbo/demo.html
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 04:07:40 PM by Tale »
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 23, 2006, 05:45:48 AM

You couldn't pause in Total War, correct.

No, incorrect.  Trust me, I've got a campaign I've been playing for a week now, and that's the only way I give orders.  Honestly, because if I couldn't, I wouldn't even give the game a minute's thought.  I'm with Sky, RTS's were fun in the era of Dune 2000 and Warcraft I, since then it's been more of the same horseshit.

ETA:  Dammit, must read whole thread before replying.  Anyhow, I'm looking forward to Medieval 2 like you wouldn't believe.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 05:51:29 AM by Big Gulp »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: September 23, 2006, 06:57:37 AM

R:TW was playable without playing the combats as well. I played it as a TBS, never once seeing a battlefield.

Yeah, but then it seemed to suffer from the same problems as most games that let you skip combat from MOO1 foreward to today. 

1) You need a ridiculous amount of troops to form an overwhelming force when you start that spreadsheet combat.
2) Even if you outnumber the troops 4:1 you'll suffer a stupid number of losses
3) Battles you could win tactically on your own you will lose with a complete loss of units
4) Inferior units on the tech tree never seem to be able to win against superior units unless they are that overwhelming force.

So really, it's always been my experience that you play out combats or just accept that you need to put way, way more resources  into creating troops than I'm used to doing. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 23, 2006, 07:38:32 AM

So really, it's always been my experience that you play out combats or just accept that you need to put way, way more resources  into creating troops than I'm used to doing. 

To top it off, I just don't see the purpose in only playing the game at the strategic map level.  The whole point is the commanding of armies; y'know deploying artillery, breaking up formations with cavalry, flanking movements, etc.  If all you did was stick with the world map you're basically just playing a dramatically inferior version of Civilization.

Besides which, when you've finally hit upon the perfect army of 6 legionary cohorts, 4 archers, 4 heavy cavalry, and 6 catapults (I believe in artillery   :-D ) you really want to watch that well oiled machine in action.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 07:40:15 AM by Big Gulp »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: How about that WW2 Game, City of Duty  
Jump to: