Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:58:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: EA acquires SpellForce developer Phenomic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EA acquires SpellForce developer Phenomic  (Read 3734 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: August 22, 2006, 10:56:42 PM

From GameSpot: EA acquires Phenomic

EA acquires Phenomic
[UPDATE] Purchase of SpellForce developer now official; developer will focus on making real-time strategy games for PCs and consoles.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Aug 22, 2006 2:03 pm PT

With its mix of Diablo-style dungeon crawling and real-time strategy elements, the PC game SpellForce 2: Shadow Wars raised a few eyebrows upon its early May release, even with the build to the Electronic Entertainment Expo dominating the news those days. Apparently among the eyebrows raised were those of Electronic Arts, as German daily paper Die Welt is reporting that the American publishing giant has acquired the game's developer, the Ingelheim, Germany-based Phenomic.

In an online story dated August 23, Die Welt reports that the publisher will keep the studio management in place, and that it will continue to operate in Ingelheim under the new name EA Phenomic. According to the story, EA won't say how much it paid for the developer, but that it would have no material impact on its earnings. It also reports that Phenomic announced multiple new games but gives no details on those.

Phenomic would only be the most recent studio to join the EA fold. Since last year, the publisher has since acquired mobile-game publisher Jamdat, Outlaw Golf series developer Hypnotix, and Warhammer Online studio Mythic, which was then renamed Mythic EA.

An EA representative said that the publisher had made no announcement to that effect. Phenomic is currently working on SpellForce 2: Dragon Storm, an expansion to Shadow Wars.

[UPDATE] EA has confirmed the acquisition of Phenomic today at Leipzig. Phenomic will focus on making online real-time strategy games for PCs and consoles. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 01:56:42 AM

Well. Fuck them now too.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 03:51:44 AM

Even we Europeans are not save from them. I despair. But then Spellforce 2 hat Computer Herpes anyway. Serves them right!
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 04:04:11 AM

Spellforce 2 didn't in America. Shame, Aspyr did good work on that stuff.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 04:35:38 AM

Well I hoped they would remove the Herpes because everybody buys the US version instead of the European one. I now feel my plan has backfired.
Rithrin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 12:23:47 PM

And I just bought Spellforce 2 last week. Love the game. Hope it isn't the last thing I buy from Phenomic...

The sweetest wine comes from the grapes of victory.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 01:11:38 PM

It won't be, it'll just feel like it even though the box says Spellforce 4: Ooops, We Did it Again.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 04:41:15 PM

What is EAs net worth right now?
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 04:45:41 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 05:04:16 PM

Considering they've had flat revenue growth for the last 3 years and are forecasting flat growth for this year as well (through March 2007) and net income keeps going down I would agree.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: EA acquires SpellForce developer Phenomic  
Jump to: