Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:31:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: FM Transmitters and static love 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FM Transmitters and static love  (Read 4088 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

on: August 06, 2006, 08:55:47 PM

I'm on the verge of getting my new car and now I'm trying to figure out the best way to get my iPod working in it. I've been trying to find some decent review of FM transmitters, but every time I do a new search I'm getting reviews that say the complete opposite of another. Also, one site will say the tape solution is bunk and another will say it's better than FM. I don't want to go for one of those straight to deck solutions. $200-$300 is just way too much right now. Anywho, any help or alternate solutions would be great. If you know of a cheap straight to deck solution, let me know.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 10:02:56 PM

You want to add an auxiliary input adapter to the car stereo (possibly on its changer input). How possible this is depends on the age of the stereo, and how keen you are to pull things out of the dash and fiddle with wires. But it typically isn't too difficult.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OEJPniycMr8/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=50900

What's the car, and what's the stereo?

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 06:32:52 AM

We've been using the Sony tape adapter. Works fine. Put the pod in the glove compartment (who puts gloves in there, anyway?), snake the cable out the side.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 06:38:45 AM

This is the best one I've ever used.

Tends to draw more power than other transmitters, so it'll only last about 10 hours on two AAA's, but if you're primarily going to be using it in the car the lighter adapter will work out fine.  I've used other transmitters, and most of 'em just don't transmit to a long enough range.  Sure, you'll get more battery life, but it's not worth it IMHO.  I've never had an ounce of static from the iRock.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 06:42:40 AM

My wife uses one of the FM transmitters. She has a cheap one and it works decently. Sound quality is slightly below that of standard radio. The better the transmitter though the better the sound quality you should be able to get. The Griffin iTrip is supposed to be one of the best. If it's anything like the transmitters in the Sirius units it should be slightly above standard FM radio quality.

The other option is to check if your stereo has a hookup for a cd changer. Assuming you don't have a cd changer you can buy a $15-$20 cable that can hook your iPod up to the cd changer inputs.

Find more info on all the possible options here:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-uhIeWUJv90a/learningcenter/car/ipod/ipod_installation.html
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 06:53:20 AM

The Griffin iTrip is supposed to be one of the best.

The problem with the iTrip is that it draws off of the iPod for power, and even with the 60 GB version I zealously guard my battery power, to the point where that fucking backlight only comes on for 3 seconds at a pop, if that.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 06:55:45 AM

The Griffin iTrip is supposed to be one of the best.

The problem with the iTrip is that it draws off of the iPod for power, and even with the 60 GB version I zealously guard my battery power, to the point where that fucking backlight only comes on for 3 seconds at a pop, if that.

Pair it with a car charger for your iPod and you should be all set. Then again I guess that would wear down the battery in the iPod a bit faster and seeing as they only charge 500 times or so before degrading maybe not the best solution.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 06:58:59 AM

Belkin Tunecast II

I used to use this with my MD player, and had pretty good results with it.  Select any frequency on the FM dial and it's pretty easy on batteries (2 AAA every few weeks).

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 08:00:15 AM

Congrats on the new car!  (I still say you'd be adorable on a Vespa)  What colour did you get?  Oh, and what is it? 

PS  Don't listen to the radio.  That's how "they" get inside your head.  Once "they're" in there, you can't get them out.  Even if you smash your radio.   Satt. radio is the worst, but any radio is risky.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 08:57:51 AM

It's ok to listen to the radio as long as you haven't been to the dentist.  That's when they implant the metal rods in your head that receive the broadcasts...

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 09:45:03 AM

I'm the only one using a tape adapter? Cool, I like being a snowflake :P

We went a road trip sunday and just went with the radio, it was kind of interesting. Found one station that was playing some cool bluegrass. That part of NY has lots of radio preachers imo.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 09:49:48 AM

My wife tried one of those in her car but it didn't work. When she returned it the guy mentioned he seemed to get a lot of returns from foreign cars and particularly Volkswagons.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 09:52:16 AM

There is some place in New Jersey named "Cow Town" or something like that.  Evidently, it has rodeos and people have Texas accents, instead of the usual Soprano accent.  Places sometimes confuse me.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 11:10:53 AM

My wife tried one of those in her car but it didn't work. When she returned it the guy mentioned he seemed to get a lot of returns from foreign cars and particularly Volkswagons.
My usage report is based on the female unit's Toyota Matrix.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 11:28:22 AM

We went a road trip sunday and just went with the radio, it was kind of interesting. Found one station that was playing some cool bluegrass. That part of NY has lots of radio preachers imo.

I used to use a tape adapter with my portable CD player for my pickup (bought the truck used, I don't know why they didn't get a CD in the first place).  No problems other than the mess of cabling.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Zephyr
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 12:17:16 PM

There is some place in New Jersey named "Cow Town" or something like that.  Evidently, it has rodeos and people have Texas accents, instead of the usual Soprano accent.  Places sometimes confuse me.

My gf is from Salem, the town next to it, although she came out of there with the stereotypical Joisey accent.  On the other hand, when my brother came up to visit from Texas a few years back, that was one of the first stops on his trip.  At the time I wasn't even aware there were cows left in the state, aside from the ones at Rutgers.  South Jersey, away from the shore and Philly, really is an entirely different state.  One I hope to finally leave very soon after 10 years of commuting.  :P
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 02:34:44 PM

Yeah, Cowtown and the surrounding area is very...rural. If people think I live in the "boonies,' then I don't know how to describe Cowtown...or most of the extreme south of NJ.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 05:10:13 PM

I was looking at this deck to get the iPod working through the front AUX input. If there's a cheaper alternative I'll take it. Just trying to avoid the static hell of FM transmitters. Also, I'm looking at an 02 Protege 5. I don't know what the stock deck is. All google searches for it failed.

Anyone have any idea what deck is in a protege 5? It's the stock CD deck. And if you do, any idea if an iPod can be connected.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 05:58:05 PM by NiX »
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 07:55:03 PM

A coworker of mine swears by this thing: http://www.dlo.com/Products/TP_black_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=11550050181355682

We tried it out in my car, and it works great too. Completely drowns out the semi-static Mexican station he had it set to. I'm gonna be picking one up this week. The design is nice because the "holder/charger" is integrated with the connection to the cigarette lighter. No silly cables, or iPods bouncing around in your glovebox.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 09:35:17 PM

protege 5?

Cool car, btw.  Practical and fun to drive at the same time - good on gas and odds favor it being pretty reliable.

Also:  http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=226552

Relevant text:  'Sorry, there's no current solution to make a direct audio-in connection to the stock head unit in a Protege5:  Your only option other than a tape adaptor or FM modulator is to replace the head unit with one that does have an aux-in.'
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 09:44:16 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 10:58:59 PM

I was looking at this deck to get the iPod working through the front AUX input. If there's a cheaper alternative I'll take it.

This is cheaper.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: FM Transmitters and static love  
Jump to: