Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:50:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EverQuest Trilogy (EQ, Kunark, Velious) 21 day free trial 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EverQuest Trilogy (EQ, Kunark, Velious) 21 day free trial  (Read 7092 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: April 25, 2006, 05:18:32 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 05:22:56 AM

MAKE IT STOP.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 05:32:23 AM

Maybe if more people played EQ2 they would.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 12:47:47 PM

MAKE IT STOP.

Awesome.

Even for free, I don't want to see any part of Kunark again.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 01:32:51 PM

Even for free, I don't want to see any part of Kunark again.
Chardok Raid!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 01:36:41 PM

Ow, my ass!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 01:37:35 PM

Ow, my ass!
The MMORPG industry is paging Doctor Kevorkian. Doctor Kevorikian to the MMORPG wing, please.

(Yes, I realize EQ still has a lot of players. Nonetheless, sometimes games need to be put out to pasture for the benefit of society. Whether EQ fits this is a matter of opinion, but there are a LOT of games that need to just be shot and put out of their misery.)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 08:29:12 PM

I feel sorry for someone who tries to play on a normal server with JUSt the trilogy.

Would they even ever see anyone?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 12:27:59 AM

The MMORPG industry is paging Doctor Kevorkian. Doctor Kevorikian to the MMORPG wing, please.

(Yes, I realize EQ still has a lot of players. Nonetheless, sometimes games need to be put out to pasture for the benefit of society. Whether EQ fits this is a matter of opinion, but there are a LOT of games that need to just be shot and put out of their misery.)

Heh, I'd say that EQ1 and from what I can gather, EQ2 are the only things in SoE's stable that deserve to live. Maybe Planetside as well, I guess.

Sad thing is that EQ1 has way more to do in terms of meaningful play at max level than WoW. More meaningful than farming the exact same couple of instances over and over and grinding rep in Sithilis isn't exactly a stratch, obviously..

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 12:54:43 AM

Sad thing is that EQ1 has way more to do in terms of meaningful play at max level than WoW. More meaningful than farming the exact same couple of instances over and over and grinding rep in Sithilis isn't exactly a stratch, obviously..
That's cause the game has been out for 7 years and has had like 11 expansions. If you were one of the top guilds circa Velious then pretty much all you were doing was farming Sleeper's or NToV and maybe the occasional Ring War.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 01:24:41 AM

Sure, but you know. What IS now, is what IS.

If WoW has 2 or 3 expansions in, say, the next 6 or so years then I'm sure there'll be more to do at 60 (or 70). But I'm just comparing products that are out there right now. And I'm sad to say that WoW is fucking boring to me since there's nothing meaningful to do. It's just a rep grind (PvE or PvP) and same-instance farm.

With LDoN/DoD style gear upgrades and AA, there's something meaningful to do in EQ1, aside from the raid content. If WoW had something like that, I'd be a happy camper (and no, rep grinding is bullshit, not content). With Tigole at the helm, I'm not so optimistic. 1-58 or so was amazing fun. Far better than EQ's levelling. After that when the game changes, not so.

WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 09:46:27 AM

Heh. I still have the route from the Sarnak fortress to the zone line in LoIO burned into my DNA. Had a lot of fun saving pickup parties' asses in there with my 'chanter.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Strazos

Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 09:56:58 AM

Well, EQ may have more stuff to do, but it aso has enough rampant mudflation to make someone physically ill. AAs? That's mostly a grind for marginal ability upgrades. No Thanks.

So PvP is a rep grind? Doesn't matter to me, as I like the PvP for its own sake.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 11:53:31 PM

Well, EQ may have more stuff to do, but it aso has enough rampant mudflation to make someone physically ill. AAs? That's mostly a grind for marginal ability upgrades. No Thanks.

Well, compared to nothing as the option in WoW, I'll take the ability to marginally upgrade my character (not gear) over a period of time. Add in the LDoN/DoD and you can upgrade your gear over time in a similar steady way in the manner of your own choosing instead of randomly hoping for an instance drop. And after Tier 0 is done, well, you can raid or do nothing.

If you're into the WoW PvP, that's cool. I enjoyed it myself, but it's not enough to keep me interested longterm. Especially when a need to PvE instance raid/grind like a mofo is almost a requirement for PvP. Different strokes and all that. Willis.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 11:58:29 PM

EQ1 > WoW?

I'll clear a spot for you at the "crazy people with a hankering for old games" table.  Be prepared to hear the story about how I once accidentally went red in Trammel, over and over again.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 01:35:19 AM

EQ1 > WoW?

I'll clear a spot for you at the "crazy people with a hankering for old games" table.  Be prepared to hear the story about how I once accidentally went red in Trammel, over and over again.

Not exactly.

WoW, 1-58 > All other games I've played.

At endgame content point for me. EQ1 > WoW.

YMMV, obviously. But, you know, there's still a lot of people playing EQ1/EQ2/PS/MXO/SWG/L2/Puzzle Pirates/DaOC and so on, not everyone has to love every part of the 900lb juggernaut. Hell, there's maybe even a few left playing DDO until their free months expire ;)

If WoW had stuff that felt meaningful and was casually-achievable (besides grinding sithilis endlessly) like AAs or LDON armour I'd be damned happy to continue playing it. As it is, WoW endgame is the suck for me. And the lag makes the rest of it unplayable.

Strazos

Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 09:28:37 AM

Well, compared to nothing as the option in WoW, I'll take the ability to marginally upgrade my character (not gear) over a period of time. Add in the LDoN/DoD and you can upgrade your gear over time in a similar steady way in the manner of your own choosing instead of randomly hoping for an instance drop. And after Tier 0 is done, well, you can raid or do nothing.

Well, I didn't like AAs because it was essentially another form of mudflation. Decent guilds would require something like 50 or 100 AAs or whatever, when those extra AAs for the most part, made just about no difference at all. Sure, there were cool things for rogues like Escape and Shroud of Stealth, but most of it was crap like 1% to dodge or to Strength or somesuch bullshit. Requiring Escape or SoS I was ok with (and obtained). Requiring that I have crap like 2% to dodge and 3% to triple attack was not ok.

Fear the Backstab!
vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 09:39:27 AM

Well, I didn't like AAs because it was essentially another form of mudflation. Decent guilds would require something like 50 or 100 AAs or whatever, when those extra AAs for the most part, made just about no difference at all. Sure, there were cool things for rogues like Escape and Shroud of Stealth, but most of it was crap like 1% to dodge or to Strength or somesuch bullshit. Requiring Escape or SoS I was ok with (and obtained). Requiring that I have crap like 2% to dodge and 3% to triple attack was not ok.

I didn't feel that way at all.  It was more grind but things like mana preservation, better mana regen and agro reduction were pretty essential to casters.  That doesn't even include the specific wizard familiars that added to damage types, mana regeneration or mana pool.  Oh yea, and lightening reflexes so you can dodge one round in between getting two-hitted.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 09:02:01 PM

I understand your point. Way too many guilds are like that.

My solution was to join a guild that was a friendly, casual, raiding guild and not a pack of totally-loot-and-raid-oriented min/maxers who only wanted to recruit extra Clerics and Wizards because getting another, um, Shadowknight or Druid wasn't "efficient" enough.

I liked AAs because it was something I could achieve to make some nice litte increases, some progression to my toons every day I played without needing to be on a damned raid all the time.

Strazos

Reply #19 on: April 28, 2006, 11:10:58 PM

Heh, unfotunately I played on Karana.

Most of the good guilds were French. The remaining US guilds were mostly "leet."

I was in a casual guild for awhile. We had some really great people, but I wanted to actually do stuff in PoP and beyond. Oh well.

Fear the Backstab!
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #20 on: April 29, 2006, 12:34:03 AM

yeah, there was only 1 real Aussie guild on my server, which I was in for a bit but left eventually because it was run by asshats. I then joined that guild I mentioned before, which was a US-based guild. Meant I couldn't always play with them, but it was still a good time.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #21 on: April 29, 2006, 05:50:54 AM

Hey! Nice new google ads up there.

I just can't decide which etailer to buy my EQ plat from though.. how can they all be the best?

decisions, decisions....

Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 29, 2006, 10:22:39 AM

Bah!  I don't understand all the EQ hate.  I've played since release, tried everything from WoW to Second Life, and keep coming back.  It's got it all.  Want group content?  DoDH and PoR.  Want raids?  There is a huge progression.  Want to craft?  Some of the best casual gear in the game is crafted now.  Want to solo?  Roll a necro, mage, sk, monk, shaman, beastlord, etc...

I think everyone just remembers the old EQ and writes it off, which is too bad.  The game has come a very long ways, and caters to a large variety of play styles.  Crap which they are adding in the not too distant future includes more guild tools (is there even another mmo on the market with a guildhall?), better integration of EQ Players, a huge expansion ranging from levels 1 - 70, a classic server, and the list goes on. 

If you want an MMO that revolves around whacking foozles, I don't think you can do any better than EQ.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Strazos

Reply #23 on: April 29, 2006, 11:19:29 AM

I didn't like how so dependent on both Gear and Groups rogues turned out to be.

Also, they were mind-numbing to play eventually. Auto attack and backstab? pfft

The game eventually just got so boring it put me to sleep....multiple times, and I mean this literally.

Fear the Backstab!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #24 on: April 29, 2006, 02:10:14 PM

I didn't like how so dependent on both Gear and Groups rogues turned out to be.

Also, they were mind-numbing to play eventually. Auto attack and backstab? pfft

The game eventually just got so boring it put me to sleep....multiple times, and I mean this literally.
Heh that reminds of the time I was grouped with a bunch of guildies and one of the members FAAK. We weren't in a very safe place and unfortunately she was the group leader which made extradition a bit tricky. We knew she was a modem player, though, so we ended up inspect and tell spamming her and that caused her to disconnect.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EverQuest Trilogy (EQ, Kunark, Velious) 21 day free trial  
Jump to: