Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:54:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Lead and Gold 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lead and Gold  (Read 4692 times)
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

on: March 20, 2010, 02:08:06 AM

http://store.steampowered.com/app/42100/

It's on sale this weekend, it's only 14 bucks, and you get access to the beta. I just picked it up, I've heard somewhat interesting things about this. It's a third person class-based TF-esque shooter with persistent leveling.

I saw that schild picked it up too, so I'm sure he'll have feedback as well. Will report back when I've actually played it!

In the meantime, here is some gameplay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASDBA-7_Bd8

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 03:04:36 AM

Okay! So.

You level, but I guess it isn't persistent? Maybe it is? I don't know. I ended a match and got reset back to level one.

It feels good - the camera is in a gears of war-esque position, with your character always on the left hand side. The characters have the right amount of weight to where they don't feel too floaty, but they aren't lead bricks trying to move around.

You gain HUGE bonuses by being around your teammates. My team was busy trying to snipe and enjoy the scenery as the other team rolled around in a group and stomped us, because each class gives a beneficial aura to those around you.

Not bad for 15 bucks.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:54:21 AM

You level, but I guess it isn't persistent? Maybe it is? I don't know. I ended a match and got reset back to level one.

From what I've read it works like Enemy Territory in that way, so leveling is per-match.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
WayAbvPar

Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 03:14:56 PM

Glad to see this setting used, but I am not sure this is the gameplay that suits it best. Really want a decent RPG or (even better) MMOG set in the Wild West.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 08:52:51 AM

Bought this on a whim. Enjoying it immensely and well worth the $15.

The maps are almost perfect, I've never had an instance where I felt like it was uneven. Teamwork is vital in most of the game and, for me, is the only real frustrating part because I find your average team doesn't listen.

Otherwise, I'd say it's a buy. The developers really listen. No dedicated, players demanded it and now they're prepping to launch them only 2-3 weeks later.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 12:22:57 PM

Glad to see this setting used, but I am not sure this is the gameplay that suits it best. Really want a decent RPG or (even better) MMOG set in the Wild West.

Red Dead Redemption?
WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 02:26:46 PM

Console only. I cannot stand playing RPGs (or really anything other than sports titles) on consoles.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 03:01:01 PM

I'd be surprised if it doesn't end up on PC eventually, although Rockstar doesn't exactly have a reputation for good PC ports.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 02:24:19 AM

It's only 5$ on Steam now. Not much content but for that price I think it's a steal. Very, very enjoyable if you have friends.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 01:35:45 PM

The aiming is a bit weird.  Either the noob characters have shit accuracy, or I was playing against people with hacks.
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 11:53:02 PM

The game is well worth the money, the mechanics are well thought out and fun, the map design is nice and intuitive without being overly complex, and the game has good hit reg and mouse options (In light of BC2, a much appreciated option). My only complaint is that it's hard to find a server to play on at the moment. A free weekend once the dedicated server open beta is over would do this game a world of good; and you can't beat the price.
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 03:52:11 PM

Downloaded last night, ready to rocku. My issue with rockstar ports isn't the fact thatthey can't be stuffed messing with the controls, it's that the game comes out a year later without a thought to the pc gaming multi aspect.

*Should be working*
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 06:10:54 PM

NECRO!

Played this during the free weekend. I like it, but I can't help feeling it would be so much better of a game if it was first person instead of third. The only reason to go to a 3rd person view in a game like this is if the avatar has a lot of customization options, like APB. This doesn't. The 3rd person just puts distance between the player and the avatar and it hurts the game. It's fun, but not fun enough to buy.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 08:45:20 PM

My issue with this isn't the 3rd person (i recon that this is fine), but the greased-gerbil-on-baking-paper controls. I realise that this is aimed as well to the 360, but god-damn, could you at least put in an option to lower mouse sens when i'm zoomed in?

That, and a poor framerate.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
WayAbvPar

Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 10:37:42 AM

I bought this when it was on sale a few weeks ago but keep forgetting to try it out. Let me know if you kids set aside a time and I will come play and let you slaughter me.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 10:42:45 AM

I also played it over the weekend, every single server I connected to was a lag fest. I had some fun, however there seems to be a forced pace to everything in the game. I also could not find a way to switch shoulders for TPV.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Lead and Gold  
Jump to: