Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:30:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Flagship is making Diablo Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flagship is making Diablo Online  (Read 2310 times)
schild
Administrator

on: December 14, 2006, 10:38:58 AM

And they're clever about it.

SAN FRANCISCO, CA (December 14th, 2006) -- Flagship Studios today announced that it has expanded operations with the formation of a new development studio: Flagship Seattle. Flagship Studios is already one of the most respected independent video game developers in North America. The creation of Flagship Seattle plays an integral part in the company's development plans.

The studio is led by Travis Baldree, Project Director. Baldree previously worked at Wild Tangent as the Lead Designer on the popular free-to-play role-playing game Fate. Flagship Seattle has a diverse history of game development. Other team members have worked on titles including Total Annihilation, Dungeon Siege and SWAT 3.

Flagship Seattle is currently working on Mythos, an online role-playing game that will be used to test the networking technology behind the multiplayer component of the highly-anticipated action role-playing game Hellgate: London. Mythos will be digitally distributed by Flagship Studios subsidiary Ping0, LLC in North America and Europe in 2007. HanbitSoft, Flagship Studios’ partner in Ping0, will be responsible for distributing Mythos in Asia.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 11:32:44 AM

I see what you did there.

But seriously - They're releasing it in a year? They just announced it today, and I'm assuming they want to release this before Hellgate to get the testing for the networking architecture done, and I can't find any info about it at all online.

Has it been developed in secrecy this whole time until just now, and it's only a year away from release - or is it a small Fate-style game, that really only is using an indie team to get done?

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 11:36:13 AM

Fate was pretty kick ass. Good to see that game landed the creator somewhere making bigger games.

Hopefully the one year development schedule is because they're not going to have 9,000 poly models. I'd settle for simple shit if the gameplay is decent.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 11:37:22 AM

> free-to-play role-playing game Fate.
Is that the new term for Shareware?

"Me am play gods"
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 02:05:24 PM

Or is Shareware an old term for something considered passe?

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 02:52:56 PM

Isn't it a little late to be releasing an entire game to test some technology in a game you've already been working on for years? Seems like the kind of thing you want to test in the fisrt 6-8 months, not 2-3 years in.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 03:08:07 PM

> free-to-play role-playing game Fate.
Is that the new term for Shareware?

No, its the new term for commercial games without subscription fees. Final Fantasy XII is free-to-play. It just requires purchasing the game, a console, and paying electricity bills. But the game is free-to-play. Also, there is no civil war in Iraq, and Blizzard won't be increasing the honor cost of PvP rewards.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Mr. Right
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 04:46:45 PM

They should have called it Flagship North, then it would have been pure gold.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 06:44:31 AM

Is Flagship Seattle going to be like a Real World house?  All I could think about when reading it was "Real World: Seattle".
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Flagship is making Diablo Online  
Jump to: