Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:04:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Black & Blue Friday '05 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black & Blue Friday '05  (Read 4683 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: November 25, 2005, 08:51:23 AM

Quote from: Local 6
Shoppers Storm Stores; Officers Stop Fights

POSTED: 6:42 am EST November 25, 2005
UPDATED: 7:41 am EST November 25, 2005

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Orlando police officers were called to break up some fights between shoppers early Friday as Central Floridians flocked to stores for one of the busiest shopping days of the year, according to Local 6 News.

Line jumpers at a Best Buy at the Fashion Square Mall apparently started a fight at around 11:30 p.m. Officers responded and there were no arrests.

However, one person may be arrested for starting a fight at a Wal-Mart in east Orange County early Friday.

Some shoppers waited for as long as seven hours to be the first in the doors for bargains.

The day after Thanksgiving is known as "Black Friday" because traditionally it's seen as the day most retailers go into the "black" and start earning a profit for the year.

"I am looking for a plasma TV," Central Florida shopper Laura Campbell said. "I can get it for $287 instead of $700."

Local 6 News showed video of store shelves already empty.

According to a national survey, 64 percent of people polled said they plan to shop Friday.

The economy in Florida is the healthiest in the nation," said Rick McAllister, president of the Florida Retail Federation, which said Wednesday that retailers expect sales this holiday season to increase by more than 6 percent over last Christmas.

"Unemployment rates are the lowest that we've seen in three decades and job growth is double in Florida what it is across the nation," McAllister said.

The situation is good all around.

The National Retail Federation recently increased its projections for sales growth over last year's Christmas to 6 percent, after having earlier forecast a 5 percent rise.

Recent reductions in energy prices that may lead to more job growth may boost sales, economists say.

In Florida, the typical adult plans to spend about $775 on holiday gifts, food and decorations, according to a Retail Federation survey -- about five percent more than people in comparable national surveys.

Florida's unemployment rate fell to 3.4 percent in October -- its strongest showing in nearly three decades -- and 253,000 new jobs were added over the year.

The Retail Federation survey also found that the gift people most want this year is a gift card or gift certificate -- the first time that's ever been the leading wish-list item.

CNN has video of the beatdown.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 08:59:53 AM

Yup, Over Here the pre-Christmas shopping madness is already in full swing.  Expect news shortly on an Irate Guy clearing Queues with an axe.

Please to be visiting me in prison.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 11:34:02 AM

If I feel inclined, sometimes I order some stuff for Righ online.  He sends his family books from Amazon.  Sometimes we ignore Christmas all together.  The last two or three years we've spent it at home, alone... just the two of us.  It's lovely that way.  That's my plan for this year, too.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 11:51:13 AM

I made my gifts this year, so I am celebrating Annual Buy Nothing Day by whoring the board. I will soon drink more coffee and play some MEtroid Prime 2, and then have some leftover green bean casserole for lunch. Mmmmmmm.....casserole.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 12:38:17 PM

How does Florida constantly recover from getting smacked by hurricanes every year? Or does that boost their economy?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 01:19:51 PM

Sure as hell boots the building economy.  Florida was one of the top performing divisions from my former company the last 3 years.  It's so lucrative that even with the forecast 'bubble burst' in the construction industry there's still people looking to expand into Florida. 

Shits for anything that needs stability, but natural (and manmade) disasters are goldmines for my field.  Well that and people who refuse to understand WHY the seminole Indians were migratory.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 12:48:44 PM

I stayed the fuck home on Black Friday. No amount of sweetheart deals could get me to brave the seething masses of fuckhead that is Black Friday.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 01:07:08 PM

Internet shopping ftw.

The more of this crap I read about, the more I enjoy my ivory tower.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 01:57:34 PM

I wonder if schild is okay.  I worry for his sanity.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 02:30:54 PM

I spent the day playing BF2 and online poker. With the luck I had, shopping would have been cheaper. And about as frustrating.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 06:30:48 AM

I saw the stampede footage on Stewart last night. My eye was instantly drawn to the woman who refused to get up before she had put her wig back on. I lolled when Stewart replayed the footage on an outro to commercial and highlighted her doing so ;)
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 02:04:50 PM

HA I went to the freaking mall of america on black friday how is that for batshit insane.

kaid
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 11:09:14 AM

HA I went to the freaking mall of america on black friday how is that for batshit insane.

Mall of America is kicking out the best food place up there, the place that served cheese curds.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 01:59:28 PM

Being mostly unretarded, I realized years ago that I could buy gifts on other days.  I had to endure a bit of it, though, going to Sam's Club for a box of diapers on Friday.  At least Sam's Club isn't accessible to everybody.  My friend who is a deputy was going to have to pull eighteen hours at the local Wal*Mart that day in order to keep the thousands of trailerdwellers in my county from killing each other trying to put the cheapest skateboard they could find on layaway.

The funny part is that Target was pretty empty last night.  I guess people need to rest after jamming their heads up their asses.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 02:05:43 PM

Mall of America is kicking out the best food place up there, the place that served cheese curds.

A&W has 'em. Do they have those in AZ?

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 02:16:17 PM

AZ doesn't need them. They have In N Out, the bastards.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 02:54:43 PM

The crap A&W sells is not a true cheese curd.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 07:17:56 PM

I had cheese curds once when my Wisconsin-born professor brought them for the class.

It's nothing to go nuts over.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 07:36:15 PM

I had cheese curds once when my Wisconsin-born professor brought them for the class.

You take that back. You take that back right now.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 08:12:52 PM

You take that back. You take that back right now.

Sorry man, if I'm going to go nuts over food, it better damn well be awesome. Curds just didn't do it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: December 01, 2005, 02:29:25 AM

Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet
Eating her curds and whey.
Along came a spider,
Who sat down beside her
And said, "Hey, what's in the bowl, bitch?"
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 11:51:42 AM

My favorite music discovery was that EMF sampled Andrew Dice Clay for the song Unbelievable.  It makes it more enjoyable.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005, 10:41:28 AM

Dude I live in green bay if I want cheese curds I can get them hehe. Hell pretty much every bar around here offers them as well as most restaraunts.

kaid
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 10, 2005, 06:27:13 AM

Dude I live in green bay if I want cheese curds I can get them hehe. Hell pretty much every bar around here offers them as well as most restaraunts.

kaid

Did you just giggle over cheese curds?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 10, 2005, 11:07:20 AM

kaid

As a non-wisconsin native living in Wisconsin, I can say thats pretty standard.  Cheese makes these people happy on a level most of us can't understand
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #25 on: December 10, 2005, 12:29:14 PM

kaid

As a non-wisconsin native living in Wisconsin, I can say thats pretty standard.  Cheese makes these people happy on a level most of us can't understand

I long for real wisconsin cheese curds.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #26 on: December 10, 2005, 01:45:50 PM

I've somehow managed to get "out" of Christmas this year. In exchange for not getting anything that i don't need from anyone, I don't have to get anyone anything.

I'm quite proud of myself.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: December 12, 2005, 08:34:23 AM

Humbugger.

WayAbvPar

Reply #28 on: December 12, 2005, 09:26:47 AM

Humbugger.

I think that is called a half and half....that will cost ya extra.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #29 on: December 12, 2005, 09:41:31 AM

Is it cheaper than a Portuguese Breakfast?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: December 12, 2005, 11:18:54 AM

I think it's comparable to a Donkey Punch. But not the f13 special limited edition Donkey Punch.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Black & Blue Friday '05  
Jump to: