Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:42:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Age Of Conan 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Age Of Conan  (Read 30213 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #105 on: November 27, 2005, 12:37:17 PM

The other just leads to "MMO's suck".

But...but....They do. That's my commentary for the time being. It's not the commentary that I want to do per se, but I don't see much to get excited about here yet.

The fact that the combat system is being touted as revolutionary is telling on why I am the way I am. This kind of attack system has been done in console and arcade games for generations now (And not just with fighting games...With beat-em-ups as well). Also, none of the descriptions really chart out anything about Defense, which is what I think really makes a combat system shitty or not.

Stack that on to the fact that mmo's never really produce what they promised they would when it comes to combat. Especially what they promise in an (pre?) alpha stage. I don't know why that is, but everything usually ends up being borked or nonexistent. And who exactly is assigned to work on the combat anyways? A bunch of rpg coders from Funcom?

I don't what else to say except "Thanks for the links" and "MMO's suck". Sorry. It was originally in lighthearted jest anyhow (Signe started it!).

[edit] Take comfort in the fact that I'm only cynical when it comes to mmo's.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 01:09:20 PM by Stray »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #106 on: November 27, 2005, 03:02:51 PM

The other just leads to "MMO's suck".

But...but....They do. That's my commentary for the time being. It's not the commentary that I want to do per se, but I don't see much to get excited about here yet.

The fact that the combat system is being touted as revolutionary is telling on why I am the way I am. This kind of attack system has been done in console and arcade games for generations now (And not just with fighting games...With beat-em-ups as well). Also, none of the descriptions really chart out anything about Defense, which is what I think really makes a combat system shitty or not.

Stack that on to the fact that mmo's never really produce what they promised they would when it comes to combat. Especially what they promise in an (pre?) alpha stage. I don't know why that is, but everything usually ends up being borked or nonexistent. And who exactly is assigned to work on the combat anyways? A bunch of rpg coders from Funcom?

I don't what else to say except "Thanks for the links" and "MMO's suck". Sorry. It was originally in lighthearted jest anyhow (Signe started it!).

[edit] Take comfort in the fact that I'm only cynical when it comes to mmo's.

I've said myself in other topics here about Age of Conan that I'd be surprised if a lot of what they're talking about makes it into the game.  That said, as far as hypothetical bullshit goes, the stuff I'm reading here at least sounds more entertaining than most of the hypothetical bullshit I've heard about most other upcomming MMO's right now.  Hell as long as they keep the first 20 levels free like they say they're going to, then you at least get a "single player" game out of it that you don't need to subscribe to.
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: November 27, 2005, 04:08:24 PM

Did they mention how they're going to combat hacking? By providing single player game, they give everything to players. Not that smart thing to do.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: November 27, 2005, 04:15:23 PM

It may still require a server connection. When Phantasy Star Online came out for the PC that's what they did, even the single player parts stored the character on the server. Single player != no internet connection.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #109 on: November 27, 2005, 04:30:11 PM

It may still require a server connection. When Phantasy Star Online came out for the PC that's what they did, even the single player parts stored the character on the server. Single player != no internet connection.

Yeah, they've said that you'll still be on the server.  There'll just be little to no interaction with the other players, and you'll be able to play those levels without a sub.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #110 on: November 27, 2005, 06:43:21 PM

Heh, sorry bud. I don't know Signe's excuse, but at this point, I honestly, truly hate all mmog's thoroughly. I'll laugh at all of them with equal measure.

I'm sorry.  I don't have an excuse.  I just say stuff.

Here:

Could there be anything cuter?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #111 on: November 27, 2005, 07:11:18 PM

Heh, sorry bud. I don't know Signe's excuse, but at this point, I honestly, truly hate all mmog's thoroughly. I'll laugh at all of them with equal measure.

I'm sorry.  I don't have an excuse.  I just say stuff.

Yeah, but that's the secret of your charm.  Stray... not so much   wink
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #112 on: November 27, 2005, 07:17:38 PM

My suspicions were correct. Gosh....If Vel, then who else?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #113 on: November 27, 2005, 07:38:29 PM

My suspicions were correct. Gosh....If Vel, then who else?

Don't get me wrong Stray, you're actually one of my favorite posters here (even if you guys lose me when the talk shifts to physics and thermodynamics and the like).  I just like your reasoned MMO hate much better than the blind MMO hate.  I was there with you in Severance.  I know WoW did bad things to you, but you have to believe that there'll be better times to come.

Or something...
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #114 on: November 27, 2005, 07:45:23 PM

It wasn't just WoW, but something else (heh can't say).

But anyways, I admit, most of anything I say about mmo's hasn't been constructive lately. I'll keep myself in check from now on.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #115 on: November 27, 2005, 08:18:53 PM

It wasn't just WoW, but something else (heh can't say).

But anyways, I admit, most of anything I say about mmo's hasn't been constructive lately. I'll keep myself in check from now on.

Well it doesn't seem like there'll be much of substance to discuss until DDO releases at which point I'm guessing you'll have plenty of "constructive" things to say about it.

Maybe the real problem I'm seeing though is that "teh hate" seems more extreme when we don't have batshit insane posters like SirBruce, DV, and WindUpNutsack here to put it in perspective by acting even less rational.  To that end I think that every banned poster should be allowed to post again during Raging Douchebag week and other special occasions.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #116 on: November 28, 2005, 08:40:03 AM

I don't think we can put SirBruce or even WUN in the same catagory as DV.  If an asshole could be an outie... that would be him.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #117 on: November 28, 2005, 08:50:11 AM

If an asshole could be an outie... that would be him.
Ooo, that was a good one. Well, I mean a bad one. But it was good. But also bad.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #118 on: November 28, 2005, 11:16:45 AM

Can I just say that I view the hype about Age of Conan with what can most nicely be described as "carefully guarded interest" as opposed to out and out cynicism?

It's a new set of things to fuck up spectacularly. Funcom has not done anything to prove they could actually pull off the things they are talking about here, but it sounds fun enough that I'll keep watching with the above-mentioned CGI.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #119 on: November 28, 2005, 05:58:30 PM

Can I just say that I view the hype about Age of Conan with what can most nicely be described as "carefully guarded interest" as opposed to out and out cynicism?

It's a new set of things to fuck up spectacularly. Funcom has not done anything to prove they could actually pull off the things they are talking about here, but it sounds fun enough that I'll keep watching with the above-mentioned CGI.

Haemish wins again.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #120 on: November 28, 2005, 06:34:43 PM

But look at their impressive lineup of Genesis, Saturn, and SegaCD games!  You trying to tell me that the company that made Casper for the Saturn can't pull this off?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #121 on: November 28, 2005, 06:37:57 PM

Y'know, I had no idea that they had that much console experience (Casper or not). I can't tell which are the ports and which aren't, but still, it's somewhat encouraging.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: November 28, 2005, 09:17:20 PM

That might be the worst selection of console games I've ever seen!

Then again, Blizzard console games were nothing special either. Rock and Roll Racing was kind of fun I suppose.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #123 on: November 28, 2005, 09:31:54 PM

That might be the worst selection of console games I've ever seen!

Umm...Samurai Showdown?

Granted, it's just a port.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: November 28, 2005, 10:32:30 PM

I love Samurai Showdown but it's just a port, and while I haven't played that one most SNK ports in those days were pretty terrible.

Don't make me poke you with Charlotte's standing B...I will!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Age Of Conan  
Jump to: