Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:10:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Online-Games and the voice-chat segregation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Online-Games and the voice-chat segregation  (Read 38252 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: October 19, 2005, 07:51:49 AM

I took the plunge and got Teamspeak totally wired up on the wife's machine for her raids.  It took bloody ages (it seemed) to get the sound going through the SB normally, but putting the TS through the nvidia and then getting the headphones and microphone to an acceptable sound level, but it worked.

Then I bought myself a more expensive headset so I could do the same to mine only to find that WoW crashed with my secondary soundcard (ac97 chap) and that the headset I bought, though more expensive, was total shite.

I am a little deflated over the whole thing, but I have satisfied the wife and that's the main thing, eh ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: October 19, 2005, 08:15:57 AM

According to her: yes.

Are you saying that WoW was having problems with you running your onboard soundcard with TS or were you trying to use your onboard card for WoW?

- Viin
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: October 19, 2005, 08:32:31 AM

I honestly wish I could tell you mate.

Basically, I use a SB Audigy 2 and the onboard nvdia on my Asus board.

She uses a SB Live and the same.

Her WoW Never crashes.  When I enable my on-board sound, mine does.  Frequently.  And I have been testing this since WoW came out - It IS when I enable the onboard sound.  Blizzard Tech support say that there seems to be a problem with a lot of users and the AC97 onboard sound and it just depends on your luck.

Mine is apparently bad.

So, she gets wow through the speakers and her TS mates in her headphones.  I get crashes if I try to be that clever.

Arg.

To answer your question :  WoW Sounds goes through the card.  TS Sound through the onboard.  That's the goal.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 08:36:18 AM by Ironwood »

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #73 on: October 19, 2005, 09:21:59 AM

Wow, those teamspeak guys sound like dicks.

Well, how would you feel if some lone coder just blew your bullshit excuses for being a slacker right the fuck out of the water?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #74 on: October 19, 2005, 10:42:52 AM

Well, how would you feel if some lone coder just blew your bullshit excuses for being a slacker right the fuck out of the water?

I'd raise prices.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #75 on: October 19, 2005, 10:47:23 AM

I'd raise prices.

Ah, the Microsoft Gambit.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: October 19, 2005, 11:00:19 AM

Her WoW Never crashes.  When I enable my on-board sound, mine does.  Frequently.  And I have been testing this since WoW came out - It IS when I enable the onboard sound.  Blizzard Tech support say that there seems to be a problem with a lot of users and the AC97 onboard sound and it just depends on your luck.

I have the same problem, except it nearly always works the first time I start WoW and nearly always fails the second time.  I just figured I was paying the price of running WinXP X64 Pro over an nvidia motherboard (DFI LANparty).
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #77 on: October 19, 2005, 11:39:29 AM

Holy crap people are still arguing about voice chat?  How is this even as issue?  Anybody who has played the end game of any recent MMO with even the most half-assed guild will know better.  Saying "I don't like to use teamspeak" will get you on my sketch-list real fast.  You're just automatically sketch for refusing to use it.  There's no compelling reason not to use it except 1) You don't want to blow your cover (you're a dude with a female character) or 2) your voice is gay.  No serious raiding guild will allow you to raid without teamspeak.  Fuck, if you want to be sneaky about it, just use the old chestnut "I don't have a mic."  Then you can listen in without exposing yourself. 

But seriously, even if you have a superiority complex and think everyone in your guild is stupid, therefore refusing to use teamspeak, you're just an asshole.  Because then,  someone has to specifically type out longwinded directions for every encounter to some shitty paladin who is raiding MC for the first time, bitches about the RPP system not being fair, and thinks he's better than everyone else.

If you're just one of those people who like to tool around solo or with a small group of friends then disregard what I just said.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #78 on: October 19, 2005, 12:21:23 PM

Some posts are just really entertaining imo.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: October 19, 2005, 01:07:05 PM

I have the same problem, except it nearly always works the first time I start WoW and nearly always fails the second time.  I just figured I was paying the price of running WinXP X64 Pro over an nvidia motherboard (DFI LANparty).

Sigh.  Reinstalled everything last night.  OS, drivers, the lot.

I just crashed out.

I'm really close to fucking hitting someone.

Monika T'Sarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: October 20, 2005, 06:07:18 AM

Before I had a microphone, I would communicate over Ventrilo via the Schwarzenegger soundboards at Ebaum's.  I obviously couldn't use them while doing anything in the game, but I could hold a surprisingly solid conversation once I got good at it.

Heh, thats funny. People allways want me to give some Arnold quotes on vent because they claim I sound like him. I'll have to use some of that next time.

Monika T'Sarn
The Combine
www.the-combine.net
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: October 20, 2005, 03:54:17 PM

Sigh.  Reinstalled everything last night.  OS, drivers, the lot.

I just crashed out.

I'm really close to fucking hitting someone.

Make sure that when you enable your on-board sound card that is it NOT set as the default sound card within your control panel. This includes stuff like mic, midi sounds, hardware accelerator. All of those should be set to your SB card. (Or try the other way around - doing your onboard card set to default for *all* options and try to use the SB for TS - though it sounds like WoW is trying to use your onboard card when it shouldn't).

Don't try to get TS running with WoW yet, just try to get WoW running with your onboard sound enabled in the bios.

- Viin
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: October 21, 2005, 05:38:48 AM

Oddly enough, I seem to have got it to work now.  It ran fine all last night without a single crash, which surprised me.

The solution appeared to be resetting the board to it's defaults (which brought in the firewire and other network card; I had disabled them) and it runs now.  The TS works fine too.

Now all I need is a new headset with a decent mic (one that doesn't pick up everything including my stomach growling) and I might even be happy for once smile.

Strange solution tho.  Still not sure WHY it worked.  Possibly the other NIC pushed an IRQ around or summat.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 21, 2005, 07:35:35 AM

I need to get a decent system for TS, too. That's why I don't use it currently. Need a wireless headset, preferably sans earphones, though I guess segregating TS to the earphones would be nice. Sometimes sitting 10' away from the pc has its own problems...

Or get a mic stand and use my shure sm57, though for some reason it wasn't sounding good according to some folks here who were on way back when I tried getting it going.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: October 21, 2005, 09:42:15 AM

If you have a laptop that can do wireless, you could plug your mic and headset into there.. thats what I did for a bit before I bought the second sound card.

Obviously, if you don't already have a laptop laying around gathering dust, there are cheaper ways to do it.  tongue

- Viin
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: October 21, 2005, 11:20:17 AM

My computer is wired. I'm not :P

But yeah, running a cat5 to my old dusty laptop might not be a bad idea...hrrmm....
DevilsAdvocate
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: November 02, 2005, 09:26:10 PM

Evidently, the agreement with the TS guys is now in force. Night before last a guildmate of mine noticed the new link at the TeamSpeak website. I downloaded the new client, fired it up, connected to a server, bad codec. Tried a different server and it worked. I could hear people talking!

I have no mic/headset, so I just listened. Fun! Got to listen to another guild's drama for a little while which was fun in itself.

DRAMA FTW! (I think that is why TS is required, cuz they sure weren't talking about the raid we were on)
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #87 on: November 03, 2005, 08:52:50 AM

My guild uses Teamspeak to do online Karaoke and other things that amuse 18 year old stoners. We do MC instructions in raid chat via the WoW client. We require only the use of CT Raid. Some people think that voice chat makes them better able to handle dynamic encounters, but it really just caters to whiny little retards that want to be heard.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #88 on: November 03, 2005, 09:45:58 AM

Some people think that voice chat makes them better able to handle dynamic encounters, but it really just caters to whiny little retards that want to be heard.

You mean like official MMOG Message boards?

squirrel
Contributor

Reply #89 on: November 20, 2005, 02:56:30 AM

I'm currently back on Win32 for mmoging but i remembered this thread as i had the same issue when i was only on my pbook. THere is now a beta 3rd party app for TeamSpeak for Mac users: http://www.savvy.nl/blog/download/ I've heard it works ok. At least a solution for OSX users in a TS guild, i know ventrillo has OSX client in the pipe...

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #90 on: November 20, 2005, 10:47:52 AM

Ventrilo's OSX client's already in beta. I'm using it, but not a lot.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Online-Games and the voice-chat segregation  
Jump to: