Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:52:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Sweden. IKEA. Meatballs. Jellyfish. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sweden. IKEA. Meatballs. Jellyfish.  (Read 1288 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: August 29, 2005, 09:15:49 AM

Jellyfish Cause Reactor Shutdown in Sweden

1 hour, 37 minutes ago

STOCKHOLM, Sweden - A Swedish nuclear power plant shut down one of its three reactors Monday because of an abnormal accumulation of jellyfish in the cooling system.

The Oskarshamn plant in southeastern Sweden uses water from the Baltic Sea in its cooling tanks.

The water has been unusually rich in jellyfish in recent weeks, but the problem grew worse Monday morning, forcing officials to shut down the reactor.

"When there are too many jellyfish in the cooling water, the flow is hindered and we have to clean it to keep the reactor going at full effect," plant spokesman Erik Mattsen said.

Operator OKG said there was no danger to the public. The reactor was to be restarted Tuesday.

The Oscarshamn plant supplies about 10 percent of the electricity used in Sweden. The reactor that was shut down was commissioned in 1972 and was Sweden's first commercial nuclear power unit.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 09:16:51 AM

Wow, that would make me sleep well at night if I lived nearby.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 09:27:02 AM

Sven, what do we do with all these Jellyfish in the reactor?

Just throw them back in the sea. What's the worst that could happen?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 12:41:52 PM

And Sven would be correct; It's just the coolant. It doesn't become contaminated during the process.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 03:26:31 PM

It's great until your heat exchanger developes a leak and the primary loop and the cooling loop start intermingling.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 05:48:24 AM

It's great until your heat exchanger developes a leak and the primary loop and the cooling loop start intermingling.

Which I'm sure happens all the time, unnoticed.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 06:28:06 AM

This is common for cooling circuits, aquatic life thrives on the warmer outflow. Great fishing in Oswego.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 11:59:02 AM

Happened in my furnace a few years back.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 06:16:30 AM

Happened in my furnace a few years back.
I'm sure you have a team of professionals monitoring it around the clock.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 06:48:09 AM

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Sweden. IKEA. Meatballs. Jellyfish.  
Jump to: