Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:13:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Maybe Americans aren't as biased as I thought they were. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Maybe Americans aren't as biased as I thought they were.  (Read 3110 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

on: August 12, 2005, 12:51:20 PM

Ok, to start this off - I watch Big Brother. I Tivo Big Brother. Its the one damn realty show I am addicted to.

For those who don't watch, here's what happened. Last week they announced that they would be bringing one of the evicted players back in to the game. Who got to go back would be decided by an online/phone in poll.

There were three people eligible to go back (keep reading, there is a point to all this). Michael (sleezy prettyboy), Eric (fireman with Napoleon complex), and Kaysar (Iraqi guy).

Michael had no chance, since he was painted as a sleaze and was eliminated early. So it was between two guys:

1) White Firefighter with a wife and kids Eric.
2) Iraqi born 20 something Kaysar, who prayed to Allah on national TV.

Here's what was interesting about it though - Kaysar was a smart, nice, well spoken guy. Eric was an annoying asshole.

I still fully expcected America to vote back in the fireman.

Well I'll be damned, I was wrong. So I am here to apologize for making assumptions based on broad American stereotypes.
Kaysar won with 82% of the vote.

Now part of me is thinking that the majority of the votes came from online, which generally means the Cletus from Arkansas didn't participate, but still - I'm impressed.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 12:55:24 PM

They wanted to keep him locked up in the BB house!

Sorry, I just had to say it.

"Me am play gods"
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 01:06:23 PM

Seriously...I rarely meet people (and I'm in Texas!....  rolleyes), let alone know anyone on a personal level, that wouldn't have done anything different. Most of the biased assholes that I do meet are usually far away somewhere, posting on the internet. And half of the time, they're not even American.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 01:25:32 PM

Seriously...I rarely meet people (and I'm in Texas!....  rolleyes), let alone know anyone on a personal level, that would have done anything different. Most of the biased assholes that I do meet are usually far away somewhere, posting on the internet. And half of the time, they're not even American.

FIFY?

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 01:27:46 PM

Seriously...I rarely meet people (and I'm in Texas!....  rolleyes), let alone know anyone on a personal level, that would have done anything different. Most of the biased assholes that I do meet are usually far away somewhere, posting on the internet. And half of the time, they're not even American.

FIFY?

Care to spell it out? I have no idea what that means.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 01:30:17 PM

FIFY=fixed it for you

Notice what I bolded.  I was legitimately asking if that's what you meant, because I think it was.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 01:32:48 PM

It was the Ugly American in me....He's been trying to break out  wink

Thanks
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 02:10:01 PM

All it proves is that 82% of Americans who watch Big Brother prefer Iraqis over midgets little people.  It doesn't prove that they wouldn't prefer both sorts to be dead.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 04:19:51 PM

Americans hate Africans, everyone else falls into "indifferent".

Am I supposed to use teal?  I forget.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Llava
Contributor

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 04:28:40 PM

I decided that's what I'm doing when I'm not being serious and feel I have to point that out.  I'm not going to say it's the new forum rule, because I don't have that kind of power.  I'm not that incredible.  But if you want to use it, go nuts.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 03:20:22 AM

Stupid thread.   BB is about conflict and interest.  No-one wants to watch people getting aggravated by an asshole.  It's not entertaining.

But bashing an Iraqi ?  That could be different.

(In seriousness, maybe they just identify him with Sayid from Lost.)

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 06:44:34 AM

IMO, racism/sexism/etc is overrated.  Not that they don't exist, but it's nothing like Jim Crow.  Mostly what I see (in the deep south) are racist/sexist jokes, and little more.  Few people have problems poking fun at someone's stereotype, but rarely have problems laughing or poking fun at their own either.  I mean, if a white geek (me) can swap racist jokes with a black female assistant director.... *shrug*.   Nothing Chris Rock level, but still not entirely polite. 

Then again, we've got Muslems, Isralei Jews, black, white, and whatever else working within twenty yards of each other, as a team.  Makes for fun pot luck lunches.  I know there are some assholes down here, but most people don't care.  Really, there are more important things to think about.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 06:47:44 AM

I will never become involved in a 'ism' thread, but this is BB.  Who cares?  The teal interlude was a confusing and surreal moment.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 07:34:25 AM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 07:39:26 AM

Why is that transvestite posing with the charred corpse of a .. I guess it's a dog.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #15 on: August 15, 2005, 07:40:03 AM

Why is that transvestite posing with the charred corpse of a .. I guess it's a dog.

The dog is alive.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: August 15, 2005, 07:43:13 AM

The dog is alive.

I disbelieve.  Instead I choose to believe that the transvestite is a Wiccan dabbling in necromancy and the dog is exsiting in a state of undeath.  Soon it will spread it's undead state to it's owner and together they begin the wave of zombie slaughter that gamers have been training on our 'murder simulators' to prevent for the last 15 years.  Get your shotguns and chainsaws ready.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 08:04:56 AM

The dog is alive.

I disbelieve.  Instead I choose to believe that the transvestite is a Wiccan dabbling in necromancy and the dog is exsiting in a state of undeath.  Soon it will spread it's undead state to it's owner and together they begin the wave of zombie slaughter that gamers have been training on our 'murder simulators' to prevent for the last 15 years.  Get your shotguns and chainsaws ready.

Oh, dibs on the flamethrower and dualies.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 09:43:52 AM

I disbelieve.  Instead I choose to believe that the transvestite is a Wiccan dabbling in necromancy and the dog is exsiting in a state of undeath.
Bah, Pet Cemetary was predictable tripe. Small boy running towards road, cross-cut to trailer thundering down said road? Gee what will happen. Grieving father having previously been told about the apparent powers of the pet cemetary to make things come alive: Gee, what will he do? Wake me when it's over.

Sorry, that sentence of yours just triggered a reflex.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 11:25:50 AM

Why does Kathleen Turner hate dogs so?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Maybe Americans aren't as biased as I thought they were.  
Jump to: