Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:02:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Entertaining dupe story 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Entertaining dupe story  (Read 3354 times)
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

on: August 05, 2005, 09:39:07 AM

I need to find me some exploits!

http://plaguelands.com/?page_id=172

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 10:19:28 AM

That’s when the money started pouring in. Rediculous money. Money that made me so scared I went and consulted with a lawyer and an accountant. Needless to say, neither of them had a clue as to what the hell we were talking about. Try telling your accountant you’re making money by selling pieces of gold in a video game. You’ll get a good 20 seconds of them just straring at you and blinking. Throw the words “swords” and “dragons” into the conversation, with a thick and fake english accent, just for giggles. Bonus points if you can say “WE RESCUED THE MAIDEN FROM THE BALDUVIAN ORC MASTER FOR THE WIN,” with a straight face.

That alone was worth the read.  Great story.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 11:34:42 AM

Great read, although I think I enjoyed the legit scamming with a fake bship bp in EVE story better (was from a gaming short story thread awhile back).

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 12:03:11 PM

Wow.

I loved the part where he sold the incriminating dogs to blackmailers.   :-D

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 12:32:53 PM

Great read, although I think I enjoyed the legit scamming with a fake bship bp in EVE story better (was from a gaming short story thread awhile back).

http://static.circa1984.com/the-big-scam.html
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 01:16:32 PM

The most amazing part of this story is that they were apparently able to do it for so long without anyone else being able to replicate their efforts.  We're so used to sploits spreading like wildfire, I guess they were more disciplined.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 01:24:38 PM

Ahaha, that was brilliant.  Wish I could find me a nice dupe bug.  I could use a vacation to Paris.   :-D

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 01:26:08 PM

I really liked my dupe paid vacation to Nice last year. Oh wait - I worked for my money.

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 01:39:40 PM

Ahaha, that was brilliant.  Wish I could find me a nice dupe bug.  I could use a vacation to Paris.   :-D

You froth at the mouth about PK's destroying UO in one thread and joke about gaining real money through duping in this one.  Interesting.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 02:54:40 PM

You froth at the mouth about PK's destroying UO in one thread and joke about gaining real money through duping in this one.  Interesting.

Hypocrites are like that.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 02:57:39 PM

Interesting? Or frothy?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 02:59:09 PM

Hypocrites are like that.

I'll date myself... He burned you!!!!!!

Then again - free hands and stones and glass houses so I'll say nothing.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 03:08:32 PM

I approve of the new avatar.  Mods, you could do worse than a Crono Trigger week...

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 04:58:53 PM

Are you shitting me?  For fifty grand, the entire MMO industry can go fuck itself.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 02:22:51 AM

Quote from: Scott Hartsman
It was a bit of a pain for the invalid coin to be tracked down and deleted

That was the funniest part of the entire story, to me.  If it's true that SOE tracked down and deleted all the duped cash, then I can only imagine that vast numbers of people who purchased money suddenly found their cash gone.  I'd bet that IGE (presuming they're the ones who he sold most of the cash to) took something of a loss on the whole deal as well, unless they had already moved most of the plat.  Either way, the jerks that buy plat, or some of the ones that sell it got screwed, and that puts a smile on my face.

And the one thing I would find even funnier is if he ends up not paying his taxes on all that income, and the IRS busts him.  Maybe that's the way to beat the secondary market, get the farmers/dupers that sell to the companies arrested for tax fraud.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 02:34:04 AM by Koyasha »

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005, 03:02:57 AM

I approve of the new avatar.  Mods, you could do worse than a Crono Trigger week...

I call dibs on Frog.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 07, 2005, 07:38:34 AM

SOE going after dupe-money can be dangerous to the playerbase though - wasn't there a case where SW:G accounts were locked because dupers had /tip-ed duped money to other characters? Coming to a Cantina near you: Dupe griefing thorugh better tips.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Entertaining dupe story  
Jump to: